Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What are good stratergies when using minions?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jul 09, 2009
When i got my minion (fire elemental) one week ago I thought it was awesome i used it in every battle I had. Then one day i did pvp 2v2 and i summoned my minion because my friend died and my minion sometimes used sprite. It didnt even last one turn out there right after it healed my friend like I hoped! It didnt even use any good moves the moves it had stunk! I searched online for good ideas to keep a minion alive during battle and found nothing. People told me do not help it at all. The minion really isnt that good sure its gotten me out of trouble before but i wish it could do better. I need to know good ways to keep it alive during pvp or if there is anyway i could get a better one with better moves and could still use sprite to heal teamates please help! We did still win the battle.

Aaron Drakewalker Level 31
Fire wizard Secondary class:Balance

My goal is to become one of the strongest pyromancers in the spiral.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Minions are tricky to work with if you are playing with a friend because of the minions random decisions on who gets what spell when they are aiding the one summoning them.

But if you are working with your minion in a 1V1 fight, the best thing you can do is know all of your minions spells and think about your own deck. Try to adjust your deck to fit how your minion fights so that you are not conflicting with your minion and its decisions.

In other words, if you see your minion casts fire elf a lot, carry a little less fire elf for yourself and let your minion toss them out for you.

If you see your minion using a fire trap on an enemy, put up a fire blade on the same turn for a quicker boost to your attack, or blade your minion if you desire to create an even bigger boost to their attack.

You are the one in control, for the most part when using your minion so be a good guide and work with its spell set. In doing so, not only will your minion function better to satisfy your goals, you will learn and become a better player for it.

I should know, I use minions all the time as a myth. They only work well when you are paying attention to their decisions.

Don't just summon and forget.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
I can't say a lot about 2 vs 2 other than it's harder to shield because they have 2 chances to attack it every turn...but if they both attack the minion that takes even more pressure off of you.

I like to cast my minion when it has the best chance of surviving. I usually already have a shield in my hand (spirit armor if I'm using my life). If I'm going second I make sure they have only 1 pip the turn I cast so the opponent would have 3 pip at the most before I can shield. The other time I tend to use a minion is when the opponent is fully bladed (especially a fire getting ready to heck hound) so they either have to wait to attack me before they go after the minion or waste their blades on overkilling the minion. I wouldn't depend on the fire minion for healing your partner, but it's awesome for slowing down the enemy with fizzles and busting their shields.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
I'll try both of these ideas thanks so much you guys!

Aaron Drakewalker Level 31
Fire wizard Secondary class:Balance

My goal is to become one of the strongest pyromancers in the spiral.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2009
As you rank up, people know that minions need taking out at all costs asap.

At this point i use my minion to gain the pip advantage, 3 pips to cast, 4 pips to kill. If your first and have chance, stick a shield on him. This will make it cost your opponent more pips and more time to kill.

In the mean time you can save up for your big hit.

If they ignore your minion, happy days. Shield busting, healing, damage its all good :)

Like mentioned above, 2v2 is different. One will take your minion out while your other opponent can lay on the damage. Suppose its very situational.

Defender
May 10, 2010
Don't rely on your minion. They can get defeted just like everyone else.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Just remember that the minions will use your prisms and traps when you don't want them to. Put them out when your minion is at a pip. Another thing too is that I think the best minions are death and myth because their strength is measured on how many pips is used to cast the spell. I wish all the minions are like that.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tweetybird18428 wrote:
Just remember that the minions will use your prisms and traps when you don't want them to. Put them out when your minion is at a pip. Another thing too is that I think the best minions are death and myth because their strength is measured on how many pips is used to cast the spell. I wish all the minions are like that.

Tweetybird is exactly right. This is especially true for the Fire Minion. The damage this minion does to your trap set up, does not outweigh the benefits. However, if you are solo and the goal is to burn slowly at the enemy, then stacking damage over time spells with your pet is beneficial.

To answer your question about survivability for minions, if you didn't already know you can get the minion buff spell from the Myth secret trainer in Kroktopia. That buff is like the Ice Tower Shield, but with -70% and is pet only. It works on all pets no matter the school and will at least stop most one shot kills on your minion. It does cost one training point.