Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Glitch in PvP?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
I was in a battle last week and I don't know exactly what happened but mid way through the battle everything started to fizzle on both sides. Neither me or the guy/girl I was fighting could cast anything. I assumed it was because there were too many buffs on the screen since there were a lot but still this wasn't cool at all. I ended up leaving the battle because it was useless. Anyone else run into this problem?

Explorer
May 21, 2008
We have had that reported a few times, but we haven't been able to reproduce it... if it happens again, would you make note of what spell was cast right before the string of fizzles started, and let us know?

In the mean time, we'll keep looking for it!

Thanks.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
Hi, I am new to the game and have just started to PvP as an Ice/Death wizard. I have reproduced this bug five times now, it seems to happen around the multiple applications of ice barrier, after I throw a few of those up even if they are not very big, every other spell cast by both wizards continue to fizzle for the rest of the duel, resulting in ultimately one or the other wizard forced to flee. I usually also have a substantial amount of other random shields circling me at the same time that may also contribute to this bug, i'm not certain. but I've NEVER recreated this bug without liberal application of ice barrier.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Hmmm ... I was recently involved in a duel where two bugs showed up: the "fizzle bug" (as described above) and something i'll call the "passing bug."

The "passing bug:" for four rounds in a row, no matter what spell either I or my partner tried to cast, the game simply made us pass. No Stun spells of any kind were used (or available to anybody) in that match, so I know it wasn't that. The bug ended after I discarded almost the entire hand I had in frustration, and then cast an entirely worthless spell (as far as that particular match was concerned). I don't know if that's what brought us around again, or if it was just a coincidence; but that's how it happened.

A few rounds after that, the "fizzle bug" began. I don't remember anybody casting an Ice Barrier before it happened; but it is worth pointing out that three out of the four wizards fighting this particular match were Balance, so you know that there were a lot of shields and buffs circling around everybody prior to it showing up.

And speaking of bugs ... has anybody else yet encountered what I call the "resurrection bug?" I've been in two fights recently where a wizard has spontaneously come back from defeat, without any healing spells being cast on him/her. The first time it actually happened to me! A Life wizard and I were fighting the top boss in the Big Ben tower; I was hit by a spell (even though I was out at the time), and the very next round I was awake again, with almost a hundred points of health. By the next round, as I recall, I had spontaneously recovered to something in the area of 700 points.

The second time happened during a wizard duel. I cast a Sandstorm spell on the surviving wizard, and it hit both of them -- after which the knocked out wizard came back to life.

In fact, although my memory is hazy about the first fight (since it was over a week ago), I'm pretty sure that it was a Sandstorm spell as well that brought me back from the dead, as well. At least it was an area attack of some kind.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
Okay I've been able to recreate this bug about 7 more times since last time I posted. Yes it turns out Ice Shield was not part of the problem, though I do think an "Absorb" spell combined with 9 other shields creates a temporal rift in time and space (Code error?) and that results in the fizzle bug, without looking directly at the code I have no idea. Though it's safe to say I've never created this bug on any of my other wizards. I think perhaps it's because I don't load up near as many shields on the others, I've also taken down the exact order of spells cast to create this bug, It starts with Volcanic Shield, followed by Dream Shield. and then that's usually always followed by a tower shield which is used up. Then a snow shield, followed by re application of Volcanic and Dream, then a large Ice Shield. Now at this time the game is okay with the 9 floating animations around me. I've created the bug in one of two ways after this, either by applying ANOTHER duo-shield, or applying another ice shield with a few pips.

After all these shields are up and stacked on top of each other, if a spell is cast that is large, a Kraken/Triton etc, my SMALL ice shield will take 3-400 damage, followed by my storm shield lowering the percentage of the attack, and here is the weird part, I receive the leftover damage with my first, larger ice shield completely unharmed, and after that the fizzle bug begins when I try to heal (100%) the damage on me using a pixie card and it fizzles.

I know this all seems very esoteric and to the point, like a crazy bag lady hurling nonsense, but I would not have brought it up if I was not able to so recreate this bug over and over again. If you have a GM of some kind to hop and and literally watch me create this bug we can set a time and place. Thanks again this must be one of those coding nightmares. I wish it well as this kind of bug punishes super defensive play-styles (Which I do agree need punishment every now and then) but it's sometimes fun to try to weather the storm of all those feints and traps to see it through and persevere to the end of the match and come out victorious, it is NOT however okay for my level 20 ice wizard to beat masters because of bug exploitation (which I did not set out to exploit and believe me I really am re-creating this bug to try to help it get fixed.) I'll dive back in for a few matches this evening and try to re-create this bug using my parameters and give you the exact spell cast by each wizard until the fizzle bug.

Thanks again.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
My wizard has been trying to quick join some 1v1 ranked matches and almost every time it will say that it is looking for a team when I am the only one on my team. What is going on? Could you help me quick if you can because I only need 4 more wins until I get a new hat.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
I was in 2 PvP of two against two when one of my opponents winked out. Just as I was thinking what a coward he was I winked out and into another battle. In fact both my new teammate and I had been in other battles not that had ended but had just begun before ending up in a new one. This happened twice this evening around 5 pm pacific.

I won the last battle and no winnings were up on the screen or awarded. Discouraging to say the least.

Kayla Starforge

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
The "passing bug:" for four rounds in a row, no matter what spell either I or my partner tried to cast, the game simply made us pass. No Stun spells of any kind were used (or available to anybody) in that match, so I know it wasn't that. The bug ended after I discarded almost the entire hand I had in frustration, and then cast an entirely worthless spell (as far as that particular match was concerned). I don't know if that's what brought us around again, or if it was just a coincidence; but that's how it happened.

I have not seen many people post on this one, and was just wondering how many other people experienced this. I have heard two others make this above statement, and just today this happened to me for the first time. It made it so that neither me or my teamate could attack the opposing team for several rounds straight, and occured again later on in the same match. I ended up just quitting at that point because they could hit us but we could not retailiate. Both times I did not take note of the opposing team casting any particular spell, and cannot find a way to replicate it.

Just thought the "Passing bug" should be talked about more, because the fizzle problem isnt the only issue going on.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
TheGolem wrote:
TJust thought the "Passing bug" should be talked about more, because the fizzle problem isnt the only issue going on.

Yes. Yes! If for no other reason than that the "passing bug" has happened to me many more times than the "fizzle bug" ever has. The last time it happened was last weekend, in fact.

It was exceptionally frustrating, since my team had the other side completely on the ropes when this particular bug "activated" and (ten agonizing turns later) forced us to lose the match. In fact, it's getting to the point where I lose more matches due to bugs in the game than to opposing players!

As a balance wizard, I use Sandstorm attacks a lot, and I am beginning to suspect that that is the source of the "passing bug" problem for me. Another balance friend of mine has experienced the same problem, and is also under the impression that Sandstorm is her culprit. It might be an issue in general with area attack spells; although since I don't really use any others besides Sandstorm, I wouldn't really be able to make a judgment about that.

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
I have done over 200 duels and i have not seen this yet. Maybe it a very rare glitch. Sorry could not help pin point this but will keep my eyes out for it :(

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
Dear KI today i was dueling with alex, heather,autumn, and me it was a 4v4 duel. it took use a while to finish the duel. so we won right....... then we didnt get ANY rank nothing we were all in the middle of the field no rank and no nothing pls fix this bug

Survivor
Jan 12, 2009
i encountered this bug a lot in the past when the old arena was still up and running, then for a while it didn't show up again, but just reccently my friend told me he encountered this while in a 1v1 ranked battle. he and his opponent eventually had to flee. this bug is really annoying, and is coming up more and more lately. my friends and i would appreciate it if you had this PvP bug looked at.

~Angel Deathhunter