Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hot keys making me HOT under the collar

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 30, 2009
Adherent
May 20, 2010
You can change key bindings (remapping) in the config.xml file. Here's how:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Go to your Wizard101 folder. To find it (as it's location may be different on XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7), right click on the Wizard101 launcher on your desktop and and choose "Properties" It will tell you what folder it's in.

3) From there, go to the "bin" folder. The config.xml file is there.

4) MAKE A BACKUP COPY so that you can restore it if you make a mistake!

5) Now right-click on config.xml and choose "Open With", then choose Notepad.

Use the Find feature (generally CTRL+F) to locate what you want to change. For example, you probably want to change the PageUp and PageDown keys. You may also want to change the "Home" and "End" keys. search for these.

For example, this would be the section of code for "PageUp", which executes "RecallLocaation" (sends you back to the Commons area).

<RECORD>
<Alt TYPE="BYT">0</Alt>
<Ctrl TYPE="BYT">0</Ctrl>
<Event TYPE="STR">RecallLocation</Event>
<InputType TYPE="STR">keyboard</InputType>
<Key TYPE="STR">pageup</Key>
<KeyState TYPE="STR">up</KeyState>
<Shift TYPE="BYT">0</Shift>
</RECORD>

Now suppose that you want to change this to CTRL+PageUp. What you'd do is change the value highlighted in red, (the 0 (zero), to a 1. The code would look like this:

<RECORD>
<Alt TYPE="BYT">0</Alt>
<Ctrl TYPE="BYT">1</Ctrl>
<Event TYPE="STR">RecallLocation</Event>
<InputType TYPE="STR">keyboard</InputType>
<Key TYPE="STR">pageup</Key>
<KeyState TYPE="STR">up</KeyState>
<Shift TYPE="BYT">0</Shift>
</RECORD>

The only thing you changed is highlighted in red, the 0 is now a 1. This tells the computer that the CTRL key is needed, along with the PageUp key.

Go through and do this for the other keys that can interfere with the arrows (or whatever keys you wish), i.e. the PageDown, End, Home, etc.

Now save the file and then start up Wizard101 and test it to see if it works. If you did it correctly, pressing "PageUp" (or whatever keys you changed) will no longer do anything unless you're also holding down the CTRL key (or whatever extra key you used). The commands will now work in the way you changed them on your laptop (other machines will need to be changed if you want them the same way).

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
This has been discussed before, but I do not recall if it was answered. Maybe an email to Mr. Lincoln and see what they suggest?

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
I have the same trouble with my laptop. The key (no pun intended) is to make sure the mouse is nowhere near anything you don't want to accidentally hit.

Survivor
May 22, 2008

By the way, have you tried using just the mouse to move? Hold the left and right mouse buttons down, and zoom! you go where ever you point!

It might take a little while to get used to it, but I much prefer it to using the arrows or WASD.