Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching Hydra and Othrus

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Just wondering, am I doing something wrong here? I have been told that you can get a Cerburus pet by hatching Hydra and Othrus...? So far I am minus 250k or more gold, and plus 7 Hydra pets... Am I misinformed or just incredibly unlucky?

P.S.
If I'm not wrong I'd love to try hatching again, to any of you Myth wizards, lol

Taryn Dragonsong
Legendary Sorcerer

Explorer
Jul 14, 2009
I am sorry to say that you are just unlucky so far because when you hatch 2 level 48 pets theres a 50% chance that you will get a hybrid and 50% chance you will get your pet back.

I got my i mixed my helephant with a ice collasus and got it on the first try on my legendary fire but i am yet to get my frostlord mixing my wraith with an ice collusus.

Hope this helps!

Dillon Death level 51 grandmaster death
Blaze Fire level 60 legendary fire

:-) :) :-)

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
When I first started hatching with a storm friend, I got 3 hydras before I got a leviathan. And as we continued so he could get a hybrid, I got a fatezilla (which I thought was rare for me to get the storm hybrid.)

You have 4 possiblities from hatching a hydra and orthrus:
another hydra (with combined talents from parents)
a basilisk (the balance hybrid)
another orthrus (with combined talents of parents)
a cerberus (the myth hybrid)

Do you have another wizard you can move your hydra to? Since the hydra is a school exclusive pet, and you are not suppose to get a pet you can't equip, in theory - you have a better chance of getting a hybrid on a non-balance wizard. (You can always start another wizard and just level it enough so it has access to the pet pavillion.)

Within my own wizards: (Although this is not fool proof, I had better chances.)

I moved my hydra and orthus on my death wizard and self hatched. I got a basilisk.

I moved my wraith and orthrus on my balance wizard and self hatched. I got a grimtooth.

I moved my wraith and hydra on my myth wizard and self hatched. I got a reaper.

It's still luck... I have at least 5 hydras, 4 wraiths, and 2 orthrus. But if I can nudge luck to be in my favor just a little, it's worth a try.

GOOD LUCK! and Happy Hatching!

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Okay thank you.
It may not be extremely encouraging to know, but I'm glad it's just bad luck and not my own stupidity, LOL
Taryn

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
I will say, YES you are doing something wrong. Simple answer though, if it can be equipped, well chance is you'll get it again. Want an example? Hydra for balance can be equipped, so use something else, NOT balance. Odds go way up then. Mixing yourself? For Cerberus put Hydra first, for Basilisk put Orthrus first. "Remember" stay out of spell type. There is a list from a fella who's name escapes me, but he get's the credit. I cant link the site, but you can find a complete list there. Central'ized

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Thank you to everyone for all the input... I'm a bit of a hatching noob...
-Taryn

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Dillon7265 wrote:
I am sorry to say that you are just unlucky so far because when you hatch 2 level 48 pets theres a 50% chance that you will get a hybrid and 50% chance you will get your pet back.

I got my i mixed my helephant with a ice collasus and got it on the first try on my legendary fire but i am yet to get my frostlord mixing my wraith with an ice collusus.

Hope this helps!

Actually, there is no 50 percent thing. What was your pets dna? It shows under baby, teen, etc. The pet you're hatching with has to be the same dna. No same dna, no HYBRID!

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Turbofreak wrote:
I will say, YES you are doing something wrong. Simple answer though, if it can be equipped, well chance is you'll get it again. Want an example? Hydra for balance can be equipped, so use something else, NOT balance. Odds go way up then. Mixing yourself? For Cerberus put Hydra first, for Basilisk put Orthrus first. "Remember" stay out of spell type. There is a list from a fella who's name escapes me, but he get's the credit. I cant link the site, but you can find a complete list there. Central'ized

Nope I only have the one wiz (been hatching with other people)
This is a dumb question, probably with a really obvious answer, but I thought the lvl 48 pets were no trade....?
Hoping I'm wrong cause this is a good idea

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Paditi wrote:
Dillon7265 wrote:

Hope this helps!

Actually, there is no 50 percent thing. What was your pets dna? It shows under baby, teen, etc. The pet you're hatching with has to be the same dna. No same dna, no HYBRID!

um.... What? Why doesn't it say this anywhere in the game then?

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
sunsword44 wrote:
Turbofreak wrote:

This is a dumb question, probably with a really obvious answer, but I thought the lvl 48 pets were no trade....?

Not a dumb question... you are not trading the pet.

I currently play 4 wizards on my same account (you can have up to 6). Just as you can share/pass some household items through your shared bank, you can do so with a pet.

So my balance wizard will put her hydra in the shared bank. Then my death can go to her bank, pull it from the shared bank, and move it to her backpack. It will be there, but she cannot equip it, so it will remain unhighlighted on the backpack list. Now, she can go to the hatchery, and whether she self hatches or with another wizard, she can access it using the arrows when it's time to choose with pet to hatch.

This way, she is hatching using a balance school pet she can cannot equip. And hopefully, she will get a hybrid (because anyone can equip hybrids.)

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
I had that same problem, although, having had troubles with finding any adult orthrus in the first place I have only tried twice so far with me getting more hydras and the other person getting a hybrid. Twice! I know I havent tried as many times (being short on gold and myth wiz. friends) is there any way I can have a higher chance of getting a hynrid? Or do I just need to try a lot? Also, any way to get about 32,000 gold quickly? (w/o using crowns)?

THNX!!

Megan Taleglade
Lvl. 50
Balance

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
David2124 wrote:
I had that same problem, although, having had troubles with finding any adult orthrus in the first place I have only tried twice so far with me getting more hydras and the other person getting a hybrid. Twice! I know I havent tried as many times (being short on gold and myth wiz. friends) is there any way I can have a higher chance of getting a hynrid? Or do I just need to try a lot? Also, any way to get about 32,000 gold quickly? (w/o using crowns)?

THNX!!

Megan Taleglade
Lvl. 50
Balance

Bottomline - it's still luck...

As for earning gold quick... I just farm bosses or short dungeons (ds and cl) that can give good drops to sell. Also, I always check chests and pick up any reagents around that I can sell... it's free gold.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
ellielee wrote:
sunsword44 wrote:
Turbofreak wrote:

Not a dumb question... you are not trading the pet.

I currently play 4 wizards on my same account (you can have up to 6). Just as you can share/pass some household items through your shared bank, you can do so with a pet.

So my balance wizard will put her hydra in the shared bank. Then my death can go to her bank, pull it from the shared bank, and move it to her backpack. It will be there, but she cannot equip it, so it will remain unhighlighted on the backpack list. Now, she can go to the hatchery, and whether she self hatches or with another wizard, she can access it using the arrows when it's time to choose with pet to hatch.

This way, she is hatching using a balance school pet she can cannot equip. And hopefully, she will get a hybrid (because anyone can equip hybrids.)

Lol a bit of an update type thing.
I made another wiz to trade the hydra to.
Hatched a few more times.
Hahaha now I have 13 hydras. Funny but not funny at the same time :D

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
sunsword44 wrote:
Paditi wrote:
Dillon7265 wrote:

Hope this helps!

It shows under the title of what rank your pet is at. Mine is and adult and it its dna is 53(12)

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Paditi wrote:
sunsword44 wrote:
Paditi wrote:
Dillon7265 wrote:

Hope this helps!

It shows under the title of what rank your pet is at. Mine is and adult and it its dna is 53(12)

No I mean why doesn't it say that the DNA has to be the same?

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
Your not wrong your just very, VERY unlucky. I have tried hatching for hybrids, but come out with a collection of hydras... so if you want a hybrid, two words....
KEEP
TRYING.

Oh, another tip. The numbers in blue, either the ones in the (-) or the once not in (-) HAVE to match. Or this hatching process WONT work.