Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dispels

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Okay, so this morning my and my friend were doing a pvp practice match. She died and I polymorphed to a treant to heal her. The other team cast a life dispel on me, so I figure "No problem, I'll just cast stomp, It'll fizzle, I heal her next round, we move on." So I cast stomp, and it fizzles. Pretty normal. ALTHOUGH, the spell still took the power pip and two white pips I had. K so if I did Judgement with four pips and it fizzles, my pips wouldn't have disappeared. This just isn't fair in my opinion, just wanted to know what other people think (and if I just over react to everything)

Thx for any responses,
Taryn Dragonsong

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
So you cast Stomp to get rid of Entangle, succeed in doing so, but your pips were still taken away? Hmm...well, technically you did cast the spell, but the Entangle prevented the spell from attacking, so I guess it only makes sense that you lose the pips. It's unfair, but it makes sense.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
So you cast Stomp to get rid of Entangle, succeed in doing so, but your pips were still taken away? Hmm...well, technically you did cast the spell, but the Entangle prevented the spell from attacking, so I guess it only makes sense that you lose the pips. It's unfair, but it makes sense.

Yeah, you're right, but one thing. It should be clearer then that the spell was dispeled and didnt just fizzle. Ya, I'm a bit of a noob in saying this, but I don't work with life dispels all to often, and when I had I used no pip spells. If it had been clearer what happened when you did that, we could have won the duel xD
Thanks for the input, lol I'm always learning
Taryn

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
sunsword44 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Yeah, you're right, but one thing. It should be clearer then that the spell was dispeled and didnt just fizzle. Ya, I'm a bit of a noob in saying this, but I don't work with life dispels all to often, and when I had I used no pip spells. If it had been clearer what happened when you did that, we could have won the duel xD
Thanks for the input, lol I'm always learning
Taryn

I don't work with dispels all too often either. I guess it's because my first wizard was a Sorcerer and we originally didn't have a dispel. Anyway, you just have to be aware of it and prepare. There's really no other way to put it. I see what you mean though with the dispel effect; it should just say "dispelled" with no confetti or whatever.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Dispels (quench, melt, entangle, unbalance, ect) count as an "absorbedattack" - a fizzle is a "spell that wasn't cast". The difference lies in that a "spell that wasn't cast" doesn't use up any pips, as it was never cast in the first place. A "absorbed attack" IS in fact cast, and thus uses pips, but it is absorbed by the dispel before it can hit its target.

Fizzles are also random, based on accuracy, whereas dispels can only be placed on you. Fizzles can happen to anyone, unless they manage to obtain 100% accuracy (which is fully possible at the higher levels, using a combination of treasure cards, spells, gear and pets). Dispels can only happen if you introduce them to the duel.

You can also get a lot of all-purpose accuracy boosts or debuffs. However, dispels only work for ONE school, and will reomove the first spell cast, of that school, after the dispel was placed.

So, let's say I am a Fire wizard, and I have a Quench (dispel) placed on me. That means that the next fire spell I cast will miss, and I will lose the pips invested in the spell. So if I cast, say, the 8-pip Efreet, I will lose all 8 pips. If I instead cast a Fireblade, I won't lose any pips (as the spell does not require pips). HOWEVER! I am free to cast ANY other spell that isn't fire-school. So if I happen to have a Colossus in my deck, I can use that one without triggering the dispel.