Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

can some one gift me.....

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 27, 2009
this phrase is one that i feel needs to be totally filtered out.

the reason is that gifting cost real money and it gets annoying in game.

it teaches kids that begging is socially acceptable.

when you figure the items they are begging for cost upwards of $10.00 usd

it can add a hefty tag to your card and they tag you as an easy mark
and keep pestering you to buy stuff.

they bug you try and follow you
even find you when you have removed them....

if some one can prove they are adult via credit card and have open chat too.
then in a PM aka aka text m. then gifting might be ok.

but little kids have no idea how much of a head ache they are making of them selves.

posting in the lab as well...

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
I agree and thought of a solution
Instead of ignoring someoene which can turn into a list bigger than freind list then why cant we have a filter list that we can type in words and phrases we dont want to hear
like if we type in "can you gift me" on the list then we would hear "..." if the phrase is in the chat filter.
and if we type in "pvp" on the list then we would hear "do you want to ..." if we put the word in on the chat filter.
That would also not alienate or anchor anyone to our wizards when we are in a bad mood and just took something the wrong way, or putting someone on ignore list may stay a lot longer than the chance we would ever meet the person we dont like again.
It may take some extra programming effort on KI part, but the results of having the feature in liew of ignoring some one would benefit everyone because then we can ignore what we want not just a who, and the message boards wouldn't fill up with requests for ki to do something about things that we could do ourselves if we had that feature.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
In the nearly 20 years I've been online, I've never once had a worthwhile acquaintance with anybody who begged random people for something that wasn't free. I've also never found any such people to be worthwhile in any way. This means that I can safely use the ignore feature and not be missing anything.

It would be a nightmare to program personalized text filters into the game, without breaking something else in the process. Global filters are another matter, and of course they already exist.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
The issue is not so much with those who beg for gifts - it's the few that actually comply to these demands and gift the beggar with an item. I've even spotted a few that apparently gave out mounts and houses!

Until everyone cease gifting random strangers, we will keep having people begging in the game. Sadly.

Explorer
Sep 28, 2010
hobi wrote:
this phrase is one that i feel needs to be totally filtered out.

the reason is that gifting cost real money and it gets annoying in game.

it teaches kids that begging is socially acceptable.

when you figure the items they are begging for cost upwards of $10.00 usd

it can add a hefty tag to your card and they tag you as an easy mark
and keep pestering you to buy stuff.

they bug you try and follow you
even find you when you have removed them....

if some one can prove they are adult via credit card and have open chat too.
then in a PM aka aka text m. then gifting might be ok.

but little kids have no idea how much of a head ache they are making of them selves.

posting in the lab as well...

Yes I agree BUT think of all the sad things that would happen like if your BFF online really wanted something for their birthday but you didn't have the gifting option I myself have gifted some people and it was nice to see how happy they were with what they got.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I know begging is annoying, but censoring the word from the chat vocabulary is not a good idea. What kind of message will censoring our kids send to them about their right to free speech in the real world?

IMHO, begging is a problem for parents to discuss with their children. It is not a reportable offense, and not a word that KI has deemed unacceptable in chat.

Iridian, wizarding mom

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
thats why personalized chat would work. some people are annoyed by things and others arent. It would reduce the stress and head ache of people requesting ki to do something about someone saying something like gifting or i need a guy or girl or do ya wanna pvp.
right now has to be a night mare for ki having to field requests to do something about what others are saying or doing in game which unless they add more things into the already bloated global filter there is not much they can do about it.
if you are playing in a park and you got a bag of candy then someone comes to you and says can i have a peice you got a right to say no go away or sure have a peice. either way its basically the same thing in game.
the difference in a park and in game is chat filters. since they are already in place why not replace ignore wizard feature with ignore word or words feature. then if a person sees ..l based on what they put in then they shouldnt be annoyed, fact is, they dont even have to worry about confronting whatever.
then the message boards can fill up with other requests that arent related to do something about what someone says

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
When someone (non friend and you'd be surprised at how often) asks me to gift them something, I tell them I can't gift. They say "oh" and go away.

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
I know right. It's so annoying.

The people who say that are probably noobs who want to feed off other people's crowns. Don't they know crowns cost real money, and it isn't like we have a crown tree in our backyard!?

If they want a converation to go like this:

Crown-taker: Gift me.

Random person: Sure! And why don't you become my friend forever as well?

Crown-taker: :D

They are wrong! So take this as message to everyone who does it!

Defender
Jun 04, 2009
it does get VERY annoying sometimes but when you need to be gifted its topsy turvy

Survivor
Aug 24, 2010
I will admit i once asked a friend to gift me a mega snack pack so i could lvl my pet to adult cause someone wanted to hatch with it that day. I am adult and i know it costs real money to gift someone. About a week later i gifted my friend back a mega snack pack cause my friend gifted me one. I don't ask my friends to gift me anything. It was only that once that i asked for my friend to gift me a mega snack pack. I haven't asked since, If a friend gifts me something i feel it is only right to gift them back when you get crowns either of equal value or what they would want back if it is of equal or lesser value. My friend said that i didn't have to gift her back that mega snack pack but i did anyways. She used that mega snack pack to lvl up one of her pets from baby to close to adult.

Historian
May 01, 2010
dwalikonis00 wrote:
I will admit i once asked a friend to gift me a mega snack pack so i could lvl my pet to adult cause someone wanted to hatch with it that day. I am adult and i know it costs real money to gift someone. About a week later i gifted my friend back a mega snack pack cause my friend gifted me one. I don't ask my friends to gift me anything. It was only that once that i asked for my friend to gift me a mega snack pack. I haven't asked since, If a friend gifts me something i feel it is only right to gift them back when you get crowns either of equal value or what they would want back if it is of equal or lesser value. My friend said that i didn't have to gift her back that mega snack pack but i did anyways. She used that mega snack pack to lvl up one of her pets from baby to close to adult.

same deal here but with a energy elixer and i gifted it to him...

also, about the filter, where did asking someone out online (girlfriend/boyfriend isnt in filter like almost everyone knows)
i need a boy, i need a girl. i even saw someone yell that and another asked why, this is what she said, cause everyone does it. that is very sad

just the thing is, even though KI are trying to make the game safe, they just cant outsmart 15,000,000 people.

*sigh* this will be a continuing matter nomatter what they do, people will find a way through the filter.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Dwalikonis did the right thing by paying her friend back. I have some friends that ask me to gift them stuff and I tell them no I can't. Someone the other day asked me to gift them a mount. I told him that you can buy the mount with gold and he was fine with it.
I feel the same way, people shouldn't be begging for gifts on here.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
I know begging is annoying, but censoring the word from the chat vocabulary is not a good idea. What kind of message will censoring our kids send to them about their right to free speech in the real world?

IMHO, begging is a problem for parents to discuss with their children. It is not a reportable offense, and not a word that KI has deemed unacceptable in chat.

Iridian, wizarding mom

The first amendment doesn't apply here, unless KI is really the US government.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2009
Whenever I encounter people like this, I tell them to get a job. There is literally no excuse.

1.) I'm just a kid. Mow lawns, sell lemonade, do chores for an allowance, etc. $10 is not hard to come up with.

2.) I have a lot of bills. Everyone does. $10 is not make or break.

3.) I don't have a credit card. There are dozens of different chain stores that sell gift cards for crowns in all 50 states.

If anyone can think of any more, I can refute them. In the end, it all boils down to one of two things. "I'm too lazy." or "I don't want to." If this is the case, respond with "Well then why should I spend my hard earned money on someone too lazy to do it themselves."

Defender
Feb 28, 2010
Just thought I'd mention, this game does not just cater to those in your precious 50 states. It is offered around the world and not all those countries have the luxury of those gift cards being available in retail stores to be purchased by cash. KI decided to contract their gift card distribution out to a company who only markets them in 3 countries.

I'm not saying this is an excuse or a reason to give someone something, just make sure you know the facts before you type something.

GoCowboys wrote:

3.) I don't have a credit card. There are dozens of different chain stores that sell gift cards for crowns in all 50 states.

If anyone can think of any more, I can refute them. In the end, it all boils down to one of two things. "I'm too lazy." or "I don't want to." If this is the case, respond with "Well then why should I spend my hard earned money on someone too lazy to do it themselves."

Survivor
May 29, 2009
Bookshelvings wrote:
The issue is not so much with those who beg for gifts - it's the few that actually comply to these demands and gift the beggar with an item. I've even spotted a few that apparently gave out mounts and houses!

Until everyone cease gifting random strangers, we will keep having people begging in the game. Sadly.

Unfortunately, some kids think that gifting will get/keep friends, and some parents (or the kids give it to themselves with their parents passwords) give their kids the ability to gift. (My children do not have this ability for this VERY reason) One asked for the ability and I asked why, her reply was "so and so will stop being my friend if I don't gift them a mega snack pack".

I got on my account and ported to her, and told this "friend" to leave my daughters house, she was being removed from friends list, and this technically qualified as bullying. They left pretty quick, but there are people who do this or sit in commons/pet pavilion and beg. Teaching kids not to fall for it is the best remedy.