Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Change in Gardening Icons Is AWFUL

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
So, I understand that KI improved the icons over the plants, as some players thought the "sunshine" icon was confusing (that's debatable, btw)...Now, the icons are VERY difficult to see--especially the "needs music" icon. It's black, and no longer is surrounded by a circle to highlight it properly. My gardening success has plummeted due to these updates, as I am constantly missing some of these "needs." Please change it back!

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah the icons are not easy to see!
they look much like paper cut-outs and they look like something you would find on webkinz or club penguin. :(

Delver
May 26, 2009
Merlinsander wrote:
So, I understand that KI improved the icons over the plants, as some players thought the "sunshine" icon was confusing (that's debatable, btw)...Now, the icons are VERY difficult to see--especially the "needs music" icon. It's black, and no longer is surrounded by a circle to highlight it properly. My gardening success has plummeted due to these updates, as I am constantly missing some of these "needs." Please change it back!

Agreed! I think that the magic icon should be changed to a wand or something, because I'm still having trouble figuring out the difference between the sun and magic icons. I know that you can scroll over the plant to see the needs, but some expert gardeners (like myself ) just go by eye. Please change the icon designs!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Merlinsander wrote:

Granted the music Icon is harder to see, but if you move your cursor over your plants, it will tell you what the plants need. As for the sun Icon, it and the magic Icon could be mixed up if you were not paying close attention to what you were using when tending to your plants.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I like most of the new changes they have made to gardening BUT I do agree the
Music one is very hard to see. Maybe you guys can put the white background on it again..

ellie

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
I agree-The new icons are much harder to see. They could probably add the glow back to the Music icon, and the Bee icon was easy in the first place. The magic icon however..
The sun icon could have been turned red or something, it would be unusual and you could see it easily.
How the world am I rambling tonight?
Does that make any sense?
Oh well.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
iheartcheesypie wrote:
Merlinsander wrote:

Agreed! I think that the magic icon should be changed to a wand or something, because I'm still having trouble figuring out the difference between the sun and magic icons. I know that you can scroll over the plant to see the needs, but some expert gardeners (like myself ) just go by eye. Please change the icon designs!

Sun is yellow, magic is white. I can see how someone would get it mixed up before, because they used a Power Pip for the magic icon, but now, I don't think it could get clearer...

And you say 'expert gardeners' just go by eye when checking plant needs? Really? Are you sure? Because I'm an expert gardener and I still use the scroll-over feature, just to make sure I didn't miss any needs (because those Snap Dragons are TALL :-o :-o)

Being sharp when taking care of your plants is essential. For Gardening, it's not just point-click-yawn. You have to actually care for them and watch them diligently. That's what an expert Gardener would do.

Marcus Drake Level 45 Theurgist and Green Thumb of the Spiral

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I also do the scroll over, it is just safer.

But the real elephant in the room is why bring this up now, the correct time was when it was on the test realm, and they were looking for comments like this....so that a conversation about what would be better could occur before it went live.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
MikeStrath wrote:
I also do the scroll over, it is just safer.

But the real elephant in the room is why bring this up now, the correct time was when it was on the test realm, and they were looking for comments like this....so that a conversation about what would be better could occur before it went live.

I posted to the test realm forum on this exact topic. My complaints were that the music icon is too dark and in low contrast to the background, and that the magic icon is less clear than the old one.

Bummer.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
I don't even know what the music icon looks like. I do not even look at the icons. I pass the curser over the plants and see what their needs are then I select the respective spells to tend to their needs.

How do you tend to your plants effectively if you don't pay close attention to them?

What if several of your plants need music or sun but you too much in a hurry (to got where btw) that you didn't realize that and so you would have wasted enegery giving each plant the same thing when you could have used the higer level spells that covers more than one plant.

I admit that the new updates makes the plants look silly. I prefer the old version where my dangelions would shake their heads instaed of sticking up straight. They only thing they should have changed is the color of the magic icon and the time until harvest. Other than that the changes weren't necessary and are too drastic and not very creative.

Guess they didn't listne ot my comments on test. I vehemently protested the new changes in gardening. The only good thing so far is the magic auro around the plants when they are ready to be harvested. I can't even harvest them from my gardening window. I thought that was apart of the updates?

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Nico, if you haven't found out yet, you can harvest in the gardening window but you can't have a spell selected.

So click on a tab (I click on seeds) but don't select a spell/seed and then you can click on the plants to harvest. I didn't think much of this when I read about it but it actually works quite nicely.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2011
Or, if you have a spell selected, right-click to unselect the spell; then you'll be able to click a plant to harvest it.

I had the issue with the dandelions sticking straight up too, but that has since been fixed / corrected itself. They now bob around as normal.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
I agree, this change was confusing. But until It's changed (if it in fact is) try rotating your camera angle with the left mouse button. The symbols are easier to see when they appear over the plant instead of on it.