Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How come the connection at night is bad?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 08, 2010
Well i log on and within seconds its like i am frozen but i am still there everything moves around.It happens from about 7pm- to whatever time (idk) but its fine in the morning
Does anyone else have this problems / it night time for me right now

OH plus i know its not for sure my internet because everything else works fine its just wizard101.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
i think this kind of computer behavior was called ''nocturnal breakdown'' it's when your internet connectivity breaks down at night the only way to fix this is to troubleshoot this problem IF you have windows7 click on the arrow near where the time is displayed and then click on the bars or a square that is x'ed out then click on the bars on the tab that comes up then click troubleshoot problem solved.

Survivor
Dec 08, 2010
Oh thanks, but i dont got windows 7 :\ guess ill just not log on at night

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
I've tried to play at night also and it seems that it's a problem only at night. My internet is fine for everything else but W101. Just wondering if KI knows that this is going on.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Several questions to ask...What sort of connection do you have? Dial up? Cable? DSL? or Satellite? Do you have a router with other computers using the internet at the same time?

I have satellite and have been having issues with lag during the evenings. The lag is so bad i cannot play during 6pm and 10pm. As an experiment, I took my lap top to my parents' house. They have cable internet. I experienced no problems. I then put in a ticket to support to ask them if my internet connection could be the reason for the lag. They did say that satellite would cause lag.

Due to the lag and other problems i have been experiencing with my internet provider, I started calling other providers. Each company I spoke with about the problems with lag said the same thing. In the evenings, there are large amounts of people using internet causing slow down. The more people within the area using the internet, the worse the problem. Since I live in rural area, (small town of less than 2000 people), the slow down during the evenings are minimal. Which is the reason I had no problems when I used my parents' internet.

I know most what I posted is not a solution, but I do hope it explains a few things.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
From the times that have been posted in the responses, it appears that the problems exist during the peak times of usage for this game.

Next time that you experience this lag check the realms (Options –> icon second from the right). Are the realms full? You may need to switch to a different realm. One that is less populated.

There are many people who enter the game as a social network and crowd the realms. Even if you are in a different part of the game and not near Wizard City, you may experience lag and a very noticeable slow down in transitions from one area to another. This crowding diminishes at around 10 PM (CST-US).

Many players are having the same problems and the problems will only increase with time as the game becomes more complex and increases its demands on the hardware and software of your computer.

Here are some possible solutions: [you may already know this and have tried them]

1. Go to “Options” (ESC) and try any of these settings in any combination.

Graphics:
Resolution: 800x600
Full Screen: Off
Graphics Detail: Low
Texture Detail: Low

Bloom Active: Off
Brightness: (Your choice)
Smoothing: Off
Shadows: Off
Particles: All the way to the left – for fewer particles

Sound:
Sound: Off (it might help your cpu – one less thing for it to deal with) [I play my own music in the background off of another computer except when in Mooshu and Krokotopia. :) ]

Game Play:
Overhead Names: None
Chat Balloons: Hide
Quest Helper: Off (Use “Ctrl-T” as a keyboard shortcut) [this option is a well-known cause of lag]

2. Check to see if you have enough RAM. The more - the better

3. Update your Graphic Drivers (This makes Zeke happy )

4. Shut down any other programs – this will free up cpu and RAM for the game.

5. Upgrade your graphic card (This is no guarantee that the problems will be fixed and it costs.)

As KI expands the game, the problems involving computers and their components will more than likely increase.

All the added details that KI has placed in the game: butterflies, fire, twinkling stars, particles, advanced pets, gardening, etc. have added demands on the computer.

I have even noticed a lag in opening the options window.

Check the rest of the forum for ideas.

Hope this helped.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Mastermind
May 02, 2009
cayleighc wrote:
Well i log on and within seconds its like i am frozen but i am still there everything moves around.It happens from about 7pm- to whatever time (idk) but its fine in the morning
Does anyone else have this problems / it night time for me right now

OH plus i know its not for sure my internet because everything else works fine its just wizard101.
i wounder if that why it so emty at night :)

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
it has to do with the packet delivery over the internet to you .
because they are rather large packets when traffic is the highest online [ands they is usually in the later hours of the day] the packets of data get caught in the stream ans often take a while to get delivered to your point online.

check your router and see if it is an old "G" router. i found this to be my problem and i got a newer "N" router and it plays much better now