Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Silver Chests - way too hard!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
First, I'm not a kid and have been around the block a bit. Second, I don't like to complain and love this game except maybe for two issues:

1. The silver chests - I'm sorry but this is way too hard. I've attempted to open six of these unsuccessfully. I have very good coordination skills and pride myself on a very logical mind. And I know some of you tykes will come on here and say "I open them every time, cuz I'm leet". Well, I'll bet most of us have the same issue. Please comment if it's not just me. There better be something extra-outstanding in there for all the trouble they are!

2. This is more of a question. I play Life School so my spells have a 90% success rate but I notice that if any spells are going to fizzle it always seems to be my level 4 or 5 spells. I would guess that about one-third the time they seem to fizzle for me. So, is there a modifier that subtracts from the chance to cast, the higher level the spell? Do some of the high level monsters have some ability that naturally adds to the chance for fizzle?

Game devs, you have done an outstanding job on this game. I will continue to pay to play it because great work should be supported.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2010
Well i am finally not alone on this problem. Those chests give me lots of issues i am not fast enough even with my good problem solving skills. So I think KI should make them easier too. And idk about the life thing i dont have a life wizard.

Blake ThunderShield level 60 Death
Austin RavenDust level 60 Storm
Blake ShadowFlame level 47 Balance

Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
Are you sure you understand how the chests work? The first thing you need to do is analyse whether the end is higher than the start, even with it, or lower. If it is higher, open up images until you find the _l and the l** ones (hope you understand which I am talking about. By that time you will usually uncover enough pipes straight vertical and straight horizontal to finish your puzzle. I had trouble also with them at first but now I finish them in half the time and I have to wait for the clock to finish, and this even with a trackpad on my laptop. (I am much faster with a mouse).

As for your fizzle issue, it is easy to seem that you fizzle high level spells more for two reasons:

1. Maybe you don't really care if you fizzle a low level spell, so you forget about it.
2. Like in my case, I don't even use low level spells.

Many people are complaining about the fizzle rate but I find it to be fine on my legend balance, my life master AND my storm grandmaster. Three very different schools and I never had issues. It is frustrating when you fizzle a heal but it does happen :-(

Hope I could help with the chests and hopefully you don't fizzle as much with your spells in the future! :-)

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
I'm an adult and love the silver chests! For me they are super easy and have to wait for time to run out. I really think it has to do with some people are good at those kind of games and some are better at others. I tend to be good at any kind of puzzle game but the aim & shoot games.....forget it, can't beat them! lol The only games i can play out of the mini games are the socerers stone and potion ones.....all the others i'm terrible at!
So don't fret and go with what you are good at.

PS: nothing super special in the silver chests any way (no offense Kingsisle!)
The prizes are just gold (amount depends on what area you are in but not a huge amount) and once in awhile they give a tresure card (also not a fantastic one).

Good luck in your gaming! :-)

Historian
May 28, 2009
To win in silver chests, first, get a chest as fast as you can. And then clean your table, as fast you can, quickly click on all tiles as possibe, now, from the begin, use the____Straight tiles to build, 'til you see the end. If the end is at the same line as the begin, just link it. If not, use the direction-swiching tile pipes to link there. Hope this helps.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
I have the same problem with the silver chest. I have never cracked one to date and i have been trying forever. The instructions doesn't even help! it's way too hard for a simple chest and it's not like you getting a swift shark or a level 60 henchman!

It's way too hard and needs to be made simpler. I just ignore them when I see them which is not good because i should be able to get what's inside.

KI should change the silver chests to something easier. To date it's the only thing in the game that I can't seem to figure out. There shouldn't be a timer either.

It's WAY too hard and needs to be changed
:-)

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
I gave up on the silver chests a long time ago. I'm not that good with puzzles, anyway.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Okay, everyone, let's not harp on the Silver Chests.

First off, you should uncover spaces in the same rows as the inlet and outlet.

Secondly - this is important - start building the path at the inlet (the left side). The reason for this is simple: even as the spark moves, you can switch tiles.

Thirdly, focus on using the wavy paths if you're not too sure; they give you more time.

Survivor
Dec 08, 2010
For me the Silver chest were first an problem, i was too slow, but with time i've gained both speed and logic. they are easy for me to complete now, so much so that even when the path is linked, i swap around some tiles to make the run longer, it's fun.

The drops are pretty cool, treasure cards and twice the ammount of gold from an ordinary chest. mostly i sell treasure cards unless they are really useful, like the pixie, or Spirit Armour that gives a 500 hit absorb.

My advice to you is, the moment the game start, unclover as many tiles as you can, make the most easiest and quickest route across you can, the thinner pipes will make the spark move faster, so be careful, but have fun and good luck.

Happy Hunting
Mike

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
For those who have constructed a successful pathway and are waiting for the timer to count down, use the space bar to cause to game to skip the remaining time.

Have fun!!! :-) :-) :-)

Defender
Oct 05, 2010
ok, silver chests are not that hard plus you dont even get nothing good from those things.oh and i heard a rumor that there are gold chests to can you clear that up for me and if there are gold ones can you tell me where

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
I think they're a great challenge! It took me at least ten times, probably more to finally complete one successfully.

I know an eleven year old boy (much younger than me ;D) who did it in two or three tries.

Well done. Don't change a thing. It's far more rewarding to succeed at something that seems almost impossible.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
What silver chests am i missing something? Im a lvl 34 necromancer.. thanks

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
Update from original poster:

- Good advice from all who posted, thanks

- It took me about 7 or 8 tries but now I am almost always able to open the chests. I was trying to apply skill and logic which is not necessary. Now all I do is click on almost every tile, as fast as I can and put in the straight pieces when I uncover them. No skill and what a disappointing reward you get.

- The person above who gave advice that one probably forgets the low level spell fizzles is probably correct, but-have you ever noticed that there seems to be a greater chance for fizzle, for the first high level combat spell thrown in a match? Actually the spell that fizzles the most for me is the Life Minotaur combat spell that is 80% but usually only works 50% of the time. This spell is given by the pet.

If there were clans in this game, mine would be called the "Fizzle Clan". :-)

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
Silver chests are very simple for me. The first thing I do is the path from point a to b. Then I open all the other parts moving them as needed to get a strait path. I always succeed usually have every box open and am always waiting for time to run out to get my prize.

My wife on the other hand struggles with these as well and I don't understand why it is so much different between us. She won't go near them because she hates trying ao she calls me when she finds one.

I too am a life wizard and I hardly ever fizz. I try to find gear that improves accuracy as well as other stays. Even my pet was kind enough to give me accuracy. Very rarely do I fizz unless I have a dispel on me.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
SirRight wrote:

- The person above who gave advice that one probably forgets the low level spell fizzles is probably correct, but-have you ever noticed that there seems to be a greater chance for fizzle, for the first high level combat spell thrown in a match? Actually the spell that fizzles the most for me is the Life Minotaur combat spell that is 80% but usually only works 50% of the time. This spell is given by the pet.

If there were clans in this game, mine would be called the "Fizzle Clan". :-)

While I truly believe the fizzle rate is random. I noticed the fizzles more in Kroktopia than any other world (where the 4 pip cards are introduced). That "notice" came back in the first few sections of Celestia. For the longest time I thought the world had some effect on the chances, but they really are random given your percentage of success.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
SirRight wrote:
First, I'm not a kid and have been around the block a bit. Second, I don't like to complain and love this game except maybe for two issues:

1. The silver chests - I'm sorry but this is way too hard. I've attempted to open six of these unsuccessfully. I have very good coordination skills and pride myself on a very logical mind. And I know some of you tykes will come on here and say "I open them every time, cuz I'm leet". Well, I'll bet most of us have the same issue. Please comment if it's not just me. There better be something extra-outstanding in there for all the trouble they are!

2. This is more of a question. I play Life School so my spells have a 90% success rate but I notice that if any spells are going to fizzle it always seems to be my level 4 or 5 spells. I would guess that about one-third the time they seem to fizzle for me. So, is there a modifier that subtracts from the chance to cast, the higher level the spell? Do some of the high level monsters have some ability that naturally adds to the chance for fizzle?

Game devs, you have done an outstanding job on this game. I will continue to pay to play it because great work should be supported.

thank goodness i'm not alone for this...

I think the silver chests are way too hard too. I try to do them but they dont give you a lot of time. because when i play, i have to unlock all the clues first then connect them all to complete and it doesnt give you alot of time,
so yeah.. i think they are hard, too.

My death spells fizzle more then my storm spells. my wraith (rank 6), scarecrow (rank 7) mostly rkeep on fizzling too much! in pvp and combat.
rank 4-7 fizzle too much. i mean, stormdoesnt even fizzle as much for me. . lemme tell you why. i was in practice pvp and the other wizard made me lose -45% accuracy and storm still worked. but that doesnt happen to death.
And yes i think wizard101 is a awesome job, well done game. It's marlevous!

~Kayla deathriver~

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Just wanted to comment re what is in the silver chest. Like the wooden chests, the silver chest content improves as you move up. By the time you get to Celestia you most always get up to 200 gold, and reagent or two (sometimes a rare reagent) or a treasure card. Definitely worth it!

And regarding the spacebar thing to skip the timer, thanks! I never knew that!!!