Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Filtered text chat

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
I always had the filters off on my accounts and all of a sudden the filter went back on and now I can't take it off. Should I contact support or is this a common problem? Anyone else have this issue?

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Um if you are not a subscriber, meaning you paid with a valid credit card and have a renewable subscription then you are not privy to the open chat feature since the updates were transfered to live realms on the 28th feb 2011.

Players who have used other methods to subcribers, i.e., crowns gift cards ,etc, have had some privilages take away because they are not placed under active subscriptions on the wiz101 site.

if you subscribe now then you'll get the privilages whe nyour current sub ends.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Log in here go to my accounts, use parental password, check your birthday, make sure a validated credit card is on file and make sure open chat is enabled. On another site folks were having problems and their birthdays were messed up. If all of the above are ok I would contact KI.

With the recent chat updates crowns players with a validated credit card on file, 18+ plus who have made a crowns purchase here should get open chat. I am not sure if you need to buy a specific amount.

Megan-formerly Firefan02

Please let me if this doesn't make sense. I am sick.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to say. But I've been using open chat since it came out, and when thy did the celestian housing update, I lost open chat. I am on a yearly renewable membership, does that mean I won't get open chat back until next year? :(

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
DrQuantum wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to say. But I've been using open chat since it came out, and when thy did the celestian housing update, I lost open chat. I am on a yearly renewable membership, does that mean I won't get open chat back until next year? :(

The Headmasters update said once you have Open Chat you keep it.

Megan

Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
Yeah my age is over 18 on the account settings and I re-entered my credit card info and saved it and I still don't have it. I have contacted support so hopefully they can help me :)

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
DrQuantum wrote:

Ok if you purchased that year long subscription by using crowns or gift cards/certificates then the open chat feature would have been taken from you once the celestia updates went to live realms. However, if you subscribed on wizard101.com through your own account with a valid credit card then you should still have open chat.

Also if you have a current subscription that you used crowns or gift cards to buy but that subscription is not yet ended and you have also purchased a year long subscription with your credit card then the open chat will be taken away until that new subscription that you have purchased comes into effect.

I don't want to confuse you so here is the simple terms.

1. Any subscription bought with crowns or gift cards (doesn't matter if it is for one month or one year) will NOT have the open chat feature after the live updates.

2. Any subscription bought with a valid credit card through your account on wizard101.com (whether for one month or one year) will have the open chat feature until you cancel that subscription.

If number 2 applies to you then KI may have removed open chat from your account in error and you should email then about this. Just click on the big button at the top of this page that says:
CONTACT SUPPORT.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
NicoUzumaki wrote:

Ok if you purchased that year long subscription by using crowns or gift cards/certificates then the open chat feature would have been taken from you once the celestia updates went to live realms. However, if you subscribed on wizard101.com through your own account with a valid credit card then you should still have open chat.

Also if you have a current subscription that you used crowns or gift cards to buy but that subscription is not yet ended and you have also purchased a year long subscription with your credit card then the open chat will be taken away until that new subscription that you have purchased comes into effect.

I don't want to confuse you so here is the simple terms.

1. Any subscription bought with crowns or gift cards (doesn't matter if it is for one month or one year) will NOT have the open chat feature after the live updates.

2. Any subscription bought with a valid credit card through your account on wizard101.com (whether for one month or one year) will have the open chat feature until you cancel that subscription.

If number 2 applies to you then KI may have removed open chat from your account in error and you should email then about this. Just click on the big button at the top of this page that says:
CONTACT SUPPORT.

The current policy is once you have open chat you keep it as long as you have a valid credit card on file with KI. Gift cards and gift subscriptions come with text chat. People with open chat who use them won't lose it.

From Merle Ambrose on Jan 28, 2010-
"After much discussion, we have decided to move the system back to the way it was before -- and fix the messaging to accurately reflect this. As before, we will still require the use of a credit card to verify that an account holder is 18 or older -- this is not just the right thing to do, it is actually a legal requirement. This is not open to debate. But we can drop the restriction that you must have an active subscription. Once an account is verified as being over 18 years old, that account will remain verified, whether they continue to pay us or not. "

Entire post is here. https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30290.ftl

For new people wanting to get open chat, you must purchase crowns, a monthly, 6 month or yearly subscription from wizard101.com. You must have a valid credit card on file and be 18+. I believe NicoUzumaki is correct about a new subscription taking effect after the current on ends.

The new update took away caps from text chat people. That is all it did.

From Professor Greyrose on March 1. 2011
"Between KingsIsle’s commitment to maintaining a family friendly game and the increasing amount of players using the caps to talk around chat filters, it was deemed to be an appropriate action to remove the capitalization ability in the filtered chat. As long as you’re chatting appropriately and within the filters, there should be no issue with communications."

Entire post is here. https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/31938.ftl

Megan

Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
Yeah I am not sure how it got removed but hopefully they can fix it for me :) The answers provided reflect my thoughts on open chat. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't wrong! So hopefully KI will fix this for me.

Thanks everyone!