Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

caps problem in game chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 01, 2010
The chat in the game doesnt alow me to use caps, when i am talkign to my friends i cant use the face :D why is this, you take open shat from me and now i cant even use caps?!? i pay with gamestop cards

Administrator
KingsIsle’s commitment to maintaining a family friendly game and the increasing amount of players using the caps to talk around chat filters, it was deemed to be an appropriate action to remove the capitalization ability in the filtered chat. As long as you’re chatting appropriately and within the filters, there should be no issue with communications.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 01, 2010
Also if littler kids cant type with caps they wont have good grammar, and thats not good for a kid friendly game now is it?

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Articstorm141 wrote:
Also if littler kids cant type with caps they wont have good grammar, and thats not good for a kid friendly game now is it?

You can use proper sentence structure without caps. I would much rather have this than all the caps foolishness that besieged us in the Commons. That IMO was much worse for a family friendly game. The alternative is having EVERYONE have text chat. Which would you rather have?

My friend and I played for a couple of hours yesterday. We had a wonderful visit with out caps. The world did not end. The drama surrounding this is comical.

Megan-formerly Firefan02

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
Articstorm141 wrote:

That's not only irrelevant, but it's also a horrible assumption.

It's irrelevant because the Professors didn't take away our capitalization 'for the sake of the children'. They took it away to prevent bullies and rapscallions from swearing and using other types of profanity around the filter. I, like many people, am not used to typing without capitalizing the first letter of my first word, so this will take some getting used to.

It's a bad assumption because kids don't learn their grammer from Wizard101. They learn it from school. Sure, this game is centered around a Hogwarts uber-themed school, but you don't LEARN on it.

I'm kind of unhappy with the update as well, but the best, and only, thing I can tell you is: Get over it.

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and Chief of Grammer Police

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
I think this update was a great way to prevent players from using inappropriate language, but of course the down side is that players with filtered chat can no longer use the many faces they used to type daily ( such as :D xD :P O: ). Many of my friends who have filtered chat were bummed about this, so if there is any way to allow certain things to be typed using caps ( such as faces ) while still restricting the use of caps on words, that would be greatly appreciated. Again, I don't know if this is something that would be possible to do, but I just think it's an idea that is important to consider.

Survivor
May 03, 2010
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Articstorm141 wrote:

It's irrelevant because the Professors didn't take away our capitalization 'for the sake of the children'. They took it away to prevent bullies and rapscallions from swearing and using other types of profanity around the filter. I, like many people, am not used to typing without capitalizing the first letter of my first word, so this will take some getting used to.

It's a bad assumption because kids don't learn their grammer from Wizard101. They learn it from school. Sure, this game is centered around a Hogwarts uber-themed school, but you don't LEARN on it.

I'm kind of unhappy with the update as well, but the best, and only, thing I can tell you is: Get over it.

Your not completely right Jack. Kids DO learn grammar at school but they may practise it on here. And on to what i wanted to say: they might take away the caps on open chat to. They cant say many certain words without Capitalizing it. my suggestion is give back caps and only take it away from the people who chat around thee filters.

Lucas Ghostflame legendary necromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
DeathBringer030 wrote:
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Articstorm141 wrote:

Your not completely right Jack. Kids DO learn grammar at school but they may practise it on here. And on to what i wanted to say: they might take away the caps on open chat to. They cant say many certain words without Capitalizing it. my suggestion is give back caps and only take it away from the people who chat around thee filters.

Lucas Ghostflame legendary necromancer

Caps is not important to be able to have good grammar. Granted, Kids are taught that the first word of a sentence starts with a Cap. But if you look at the so called GRAMMAR that is being used in the game, then they can't use that GRAMMAR anymore without the caps.

Yes, I am an adult and I don't use nor do I like to hear or READ that kind of language. My friends and I play for the fun this game gives us. And to my knowledge, there is NO word you can't type without a cap. If you are talking about the word (I) or (i) or (I'm) or (i'm), it can be done either way. So what if you can't capitalize it. It still means the same thing. The only other problem is that they will have to say (i am) since they won't be able to use the shift key

If it means that Caps be removed from all chat, then if that is what KI has to do, FINE. My friends and I can live with that.

It is just a shame that some people can't do anything without using foul language.

Where do the kids learn this language? Look at TV, real life, and any place else you can think of. It would just be nice to not have to deal with it HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
I do see the problem in allowing caps, but the emoticons?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!
I love this game, don't get me wrong, but how hard is it to allow a capital "D" after a ":"? you don't have to bring caps back, but it has to be possible to allow a few.

Taryn Dragonsong
Legendary Sorcerer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
sunsword44 wrote:
I love this game, don't get me wrong, but how hard is it to allow a capital "D" after a ":"? you don't have to bring caps back, but it has to be possible to allow a few.

Taryn Dragonsong
Legendary Sorcerer

A lower case(p) or (b) works just as well for a smilely face and a lower case (d) or even a (c) works for a sad face. I have already seen the lower case (p) used. Also, you could try this combination, ( :> ) for a happy face, or ( :< ) for a sad face. But if you are able to use the shift key to get this ( : ) then you should be able to do this :( or this :)

It would be impossible to allow 1 capital letter.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
sunsword44 wrote:

Taryn Dragonsong
Legendary Sorcerer

A lower case(p) or (b) works just as well for a smilely face and a lower case (d) or even a (c) works for a sad face. I have already seen the lower case (p) used. Also, you could try this combination, ( :> ) for a happy face, or ( :< ) for a sad face. But if you are able to use the shift key to get this ( : ) then you should be able to do this :( or this :)

It would be impossible to allow 1 capital letter.

See all I'm trying to say is that if it is possible to allow some words and not others it would be possible to allow some caps and not others. I'm not saying allow these to be capital all the time, just in order after the right stuff. I'm not posting this for info on how to make the smiley things, I an do it anyways with open chat. All I'm trying to say is I think it was a little extreme, even if its just me. Thanks for the help,
Taryn