Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard Professions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Sorry, this first post is a bit wordy.

As the title of the topic says, my idea is for professions to be available to wizards. I came up with this because during the course of playing the game, there were times when I wished I could get more of something or get a specific thing or have something available that isn’t. Then it suddenly dawned on me that there was a way without making things too unbalanced (I hope).

Now I understand that some of these might not work due to the programming requirements or the impossibility of programming it. Some might be too unbalanced. I have tried to address that in areas that I could see would be unbalanced but I might have missed things or be wrong about my balance fix.

The main points of professions are to give a few added benefits to different aspects of the game and to give another option that will make out wizards more unique.

Professions would become available when you have completed all of the WC quests and you have to be at least level 10 which I don’t think will be a problem but there has to be a limit. Profession levels are based on completing quests which are available at the end of each world and require level increments of 10. So to be able to get the quest for level 2 of your profession, you have to have completed KT and be at least level 20. When both of the requirements are met, Professor Ambrose will summon you and tell you where to go to get the quest to gain your next skill level.

Each quest will be given to you by a NPC in the world you just completed. The NPC will be different for each profession. The quests will require you to do or find or complete something in each world you currently have access to, including GH. Since you don’t have access to GH until level 20, it wouldn’t be part of the questing until level 2 of a profession.

So when professions first become available, Professor Ambrose will send you to a NPC in WC. That NPC will require you to complete quests in WC and KT. Since you have completed WC, you can be sent anywhere in WC to do tasks for your quest. However, since you just started in KT, the quest can be completed by what you have access to in the Pyramid.

Having professions available in this manner would give you some benefit that would help you complete the next world a little bit easier. Some professions are not really for questing or helpful in going through the Spiral, but they will all follow the same format to keep things simpler.

The maximum level for professions should be 5 until a new world is introduced into the Spiral.

I have 14 professions mostly completed. I’ll post them when I have more time.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
This is a very interesting idea. What would the professions be? Could you choose them or would they be random? Is there only 1 profession? I didnt really understand the post and I hope you have answers to these questions

William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer Fire is death and rage, thus bringing life
P.S. Yeah I am the first to answer this post!

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Okay my post went up faster than I thought it would. Here are the 14 professions I have come up with already. Hopefully they all get posted and get posted in order.

Hunter
Hunters are trained in the art of tracking and understanding their prey. When they attack the prey, they know where to hit them to do the most damage. Once the prey is down, Hunters know where to look to find more and higher quality items. When Hunters leave, nothing is left behind.

Skills
- Level 1: Scavenger - Extra gold from monsters.
- Level 2: Let Nothing go to Waste - Higher chance of reagent drops from monsters.
- Level 3: Hands off that Shiny Shirt! - Higher chance of higher quality equipment drops from monsters.
- Level 4: School Spirit - Higher chance of equipment for the wizard’s school to drop.
- Level 5: Sharpshooter – Can double the damage of the next spell cast. Cool down time of 1 hour. Cannot be used in dungeons or PVP.

Gatherer
Gatherers understand their environment. The world around them is full of useful plants and minerals and Gatherers know just where to find them. Gatherers can find things in hidden places that others will usually miss. They know quality when they see it and when collecting what they need, they will always get that extra little bit.

Skills
- Level 1: Hidden Compartment - More gold from treasure chests.
- Level 2: Your Own Backyard - Reagents can occasionally be found at the wizard’s house.
- Level 3: Supply and Demand - 5% more gold from selling reagents.
- Level 4: There’s Another One! - Better chance of more reagents from each harvest. So normally when you find a mist wood on the ground, you will get 1 or 2 reagents from it but sometimes you get 3 or 4. A Gatherer would be more likely to get 2 than a non-Gatherer would and so on. A Gatherer would also have a chance of getting 5.
- Level 5: Good Eye - Higher chance to get rare harvests.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Warrior
Warriors are skilled in open combat. The fields of battle are littered with the remains of their slain enemies. Warriors are fierce and unafraid to face many foes. Because of their reputation, they have access to equipment that others can only dream of having. Their knowledge of battle gives them an edge and stronger skills when facing their opponent. In seeking to become even stronger, they gain a broader understanding of the magics they use.

Skills
- Level 1: Bring ‘em On - Can choose to allow more monsters into their duels. Normally 1-2 monsters will join in a duel with one wizard. The wizard could select to allow an additional 1-3 monsters into the duel if they wanted. This should be a setting that appears at the start of the duel. Cannot select a lower number than an area allows. If an area already allows more than 2 monsters to join a duel with a single wizard (Kensington Park) you would not be able to reduce that number.
- Level 2: Training - Gain more training points. After level 20, still gain a point every 4 levels instead of 5.
- Level 3: Only the Best - Access to bonus equipment. No Auction and No Trade. (can’t be used in PVP)
- Level 4: Carry a Big Stick - Bonus PVE spells. (can’t be used in PVP)
- Level 5: I Have the Power - Access to spells that allow wizard to use Power Pips for their non-school spells. Have to train a spell for each secondary school you want to be able to use. So if you have life and fire as secondary schools, you would have to train for the life spell and for the fire spell (2 training points). Spells cost 4 pips to cast and allow next spell of that type to use power pips. Can only be cast on self, not other wizards. (can’t be used in PVP)

Gladiator
Gladiators are as much actors as they are fighters. Their stage is the arena and they revel in the attention of the masses. Their desire and willingness to face other wizards in direct combat grants them special privilege and when they have established themselves, they are paid well for the entertainment they provide. The goal of the Gladiators is to reach the top, to become the best of the best and to have everyone know it.

Skills
- Level 1: There Can be Only One - Access to a ranking system for PVP.
- Level 2: Special Treatment - Reduced Ticket cost for ticket only items.
- Level 3: Are You Not Entertained? - Gain XP and gold from PVP battles.
- Level 4: Unleash Heck - Bonus PVP spells. (can’t be used in PVP)
- Level 5:
To Preserve Balance: Gladiators cannot PVP with non-Gladiators. (Except in Massive Fantasy Palace)

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Trainer
Trainers are devoted to their pets. All of their free time is spent training their pets and playing games with them. They understand their pets more than others and this in turn helps their pets understand the wizard. This results in the Trainers pets reaching a higher level in a shorter time and the pets are more likely to be more talented and powerful than other pets. Their devotion to their pets also allows them to get special treatment at pet stores which gives them access to higher quality pets.

Skills
- Level 1: Obedience - More xp/stat increase from training. 5 max per training instead of the normal 4. Even if they completely fail a game, their pet still gains 1 training point.
- Level 2: Connections - Access to additional pets with better stats, talents and powers. No Trade.
- Level 3: Good Lineage - Higher chance of better talents/powers.
- Level 4: Best in Show - Better level 48 pet (higher stats, better talents and powers). No Trade.
- Level 5: Pet Whisperer - Can select one talent or power at Ancient.

Breeder
Breeders are all about the bloodlines of their pets. They strive for perfection in creating a more powerful breed. Breeders have found better ways to hatch their pets resulting in less expenses and better results. Their knowledge results in their hatching attempts to be more successful in bringing out the traits they desire in a pet.

Skills
- Level 1: I Have my Ways - Reduced hatching cost.
- Level 2: Purebred - Can select base pet when hatching (cannot force hybrid this way).
- Level 3: Good Eye - Higher chance of more rare talents and powers manifesting.
- Level 4: Mutt - Higher chance of getting a hybrid.
- Level 5: Selective Breeding - Can only choose one of the following options to give your wizard:
- Level 5a: Can select one stat from each parent. So two stats would be guaranteed to transfer and the other three would be random. Cannot select which talents or powers are on the new pet.
- Level 5b: Can select one talent or power from one parent that will be guaranteed to manifest at Ancient.
To Preserve Balance: Breeders are not allowed to hatch with non-Breeders. Pets that are created in the hatchery by a Breeder are No Trade.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Crafter
Any wizard can make a knife or a robe or a bookshelf, but only a true Crafter can do it with style. Crafters can get the same results in their crafting as any other wizard but they can do it faster and at less expense. Their desire to create better equipment and furniture has led them to seek for better recipes from hidden crafters. The time they have spent in their labs has given them a greater understanding of the magics of equipment allowing them to bestow extra powers on the things they own.

Skills
- Level 1: I Don’t Have Time for This! - Reduced cool down times.
- Level 2: Regular Customer - 5% less gold when buying recipes and reagents (not including treasure cards or housing items that are required for the recipe).
- Level 3: Special Recipe - Access to bonus crafting recipes.
- Level 4: Imbue - Can increase the stats of an item by either 1 (not percent) or 5% whichever is greater (all calculations are rounded down). The item will become No Auction and No Trade. It requires reagents and has a cool down time of at least 72 hours.
- Level 5: Crush It, Don’t Cut It - Reduced reagent cost for crafting.

Gardener
Gardeners love the soil and the plants that come from it. They tend to their gardens as if the plants were their children. For this reason, they are able to have larger gardens and waste less energy in tending to them. The love they give their plants results in the plants giving more to them. Gardeners tend to spend more time with others who enjoy gardening giving them access to exclusive seeds and cheaper prices on the things they need for their gardens.

Skills
- Level 1: Bigger is Better - Increased gardening limit.
- Level 2: Friendly Neighbors - 5% less gold when buying or training from the mole family.
- Level 3: Farmers Market - Access to bonus seeds. No Trade.
- Level 4: Green Thumb - Better harvests from plants.
- Level 5: There’s an Easier Way - Reduced energy cost for gardening spells.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Explorer
Explorers travel the Spiral seeking to see everything they can and endeavoring to go down every path and into the depths of every dungeon. They search for the places that no wizard has visited before. With such a monumental task, Explorers have no time to waste. A leisurely pace will just not satisfy them. While Explorers don’t shy away from battle with the beasts inhabiting the worlds, they also don’t always want to spend the time fighting foes they have no use for. To this end, they have mastered the ability to escape from battles or avoid them altogether. As everyone knows, no Explorer is worth anything without his or her trusty steed. In an effort to get their names in the history book next to famous Explorers, special shop keepers will give an Explorer the best and fastest mounts available.

Skills
- Level 1: World Traveler - Access to all dungeons from all schools.
- Level 2: No Time to Waste – Increased movement rate.
- Level 3: No Stone Unturned - Access to bonus dungeons.
- Level 4: Trusty Steed – Access to unique mounts with higher movement rates than regular mounts. The mounts are No Trade.
- Level 5: Escape and Evade - Can only choose one of the following options to give your wizard:
- Level 5a: Can Escape duels. There would be a cool down time for this ability. Can’t be used in dungeons. Using Escape in a duel would remove you from the duel but not be like fleeing. Health and Mana would be at the same level and you would still be in the same location, not transported to common area of world.
- Level 5b: Can Evade monsters. There would be a cool down time for this ability. Can’t be used in dungeons. Evade would allow you to move through an area but not join any duels, even if you walked right in front of a monster. This would have an on off and a timer. When it is turned on, the timer starts. When the timer reaches zero, you could be pulled into duels again and the cool down time starts. If you turn off Evade, the timer would go to zero you could be pulled into duels again and the cool down time starts.

Sage
Sages spend their time in study. Not content with the magic teaching they have received, they dig deeper and search further. They find the secrets of magic that are hidden to most. The knowledge they gain allows them to cast more powerful and more accurate spells as well as learn how to resist the spells that are thrown at them. Their understanding of magic gives them insight into the power of spells and allows them to acquire one use items for a better price. When a sage reaches a certain level, they will choose a direction for their studies to go. Some seek skill in battle, some desire power and some seek to have more knowledge.

Skills
All Sages:
- Level 1: Energize - Mana Regeneration. Mana refills at a rate of 1 every 5 minutes. Each Level increase will decrease the regeneration time by 1 minute. So at level 5, the mana would refill at a rate of 1 per minute.
- Level 2: Wisdom - 5% less gold when buying treasure cards.
Battle Sage:
- Level 3: Strike - +5% Damage in all schools.
- Level 4: Channel - +3% Accuracy in all schools.
- Level 5: Focus - +6 Critical Hit
Power Sage:
- Level 3: Strike - +5% Damage in all schools.
- Level 4: Shield - +5% Defense in all schools.
- Level 5: Observe - +3 Critical Hit and +3 Critical Block
Knowledge Sage:
- Level 3: Shield - +5% Defense in all schools.
- Level 4: Channel - +3% Accuracy in all schools.
- Level 5: Anticipate - +6 Critical Block

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Okay so that is everything I have right now. I don’t PVP much so I wasn’t able to come up with a level 5 skill for Gladiator so any thoughts from PVP regulars would definitely help. Some of the skills are there because I really couldn’t think of anything better. I won’t say which ones but if someone posts a better skill, those will be the first to go.

Since there are already Gardener and Crafter badges, those professions might need to be called something different. I thought about Farmer instead of Gardener (since a farmer is really just a gardener on a much larger scale) but can’t think of anything that would work to replace Crafter.

I came up with the idea for names for each skill while working on the Thief. Thinking about the skills for Thief without a name just sounded wrong so I had to name them. Once the Thief had skill names, I had to give the rest names too. The names of many of the skills are there just because that is what sounded good at the time. A lot of those could be changed if I hear better names. Some of them I won’t change for various reasons. Some of these include the names that are quotes from movies or TV shows and the names of the Thief and Sage skills.

Please post with any new professions you can think of or different skills for a profession that you think might be better. If something looks unbalanced post that along with a fix for the unbalance. Basically post anything you think might make this idea better and more likely to get accepted by KI.

If I personally like a different skill for a profession, I will add it to the post for the profession. Any additional professions people come up with will not be added to my posts just so they don’t get cluttered with more than one profession.

On a final note, anyone who can find all of the skill names that are TV and movie quotes and name the movie or show they are from will get 50 points. Unfortunately, the points are like the ones in Who’s Line is it Anyway, they don’t really matter.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Nicitas wrote:
This is a very interesting idea. What would the professions be? Could you choose them or would they be random? Is there only 1 profession? I didnt really understand the post and I hope you have answers to these questions

William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer Fire is death and rage, thus bringing life
P.S. Yeah I am the first to answer this post!

Well your first and third questions should now be answered, as long as my other two posts show up. As for your second question, you would be able to choose which profession you get.

Administrator
Ranos131 wrote:

Well your first and third questions should now be answered, as long as my other two posts show up. As for your second question, you would be able to choose which profession you get.

They will not. We have addressed the issue of trade in our Frequently Asked Questions section of the message boards, and thievery is not appropriate.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
They will not. We have addressed the issue of trade in our Frequently Asked Questions section of the message boards, and thievery is not appropriate.

Thank you for letting me know Professor Greyrose and my apologies. I hadn't read the FAQ previously because I never had a reason to. I have read it now though so I don't make that mistake again. In my excitement over the idea, I didn't consider the age group the game is targeted to and can see how the second one would be inappropriate.

I'll try to come up with some modifications to those two professions so they are more appropriate.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Well, I personally think that this sounds like a good idea. Glancing at the skills and their descriptions make them seem fairly balanced and not too overpowered. It would also give people something to do between waiting for expansions.

I would much like to see this as a Grandmaster/Legendary part, with a high difficulty curve (we're talking about Taking On The Trial With Two People-difficult) to ensure that it will take a lot of work and a long time to get the highest level in all professions. Might even end up with a Jack Of All Trades badge if, after a year of working hard, you finally manage to get top level in all professions.

Defender
May 17, 2009
I very much love this idea. This would be the biggest update since... well not counting Celestia, Grizzleheim. I think this is the best thing that could happen to this game without adding new world/spells/level caps. I want to be the crafter!

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Anything that makes the hatching process better and less of a potential waste of time, I'll support. :)

Can I have more than one profession so that I can have both trainer and breeder professions?

Can these professions be turned into jobs so that we can help our friends with their hatching, training, etc?

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
This is a super cool idea!

I was thinking about how you could choose your professions when I thought of how another computer game I play's abilities, aka professions, are chosen. It uses a theory called 'consequence abilities'. This means that what you do in your path to get a profession determines what your profession will be. Like, in that game, if I killed everything I saw, I would be a 'warrior' and would be able to earn battle-related abilities.
It would be cool if Wizard101 professions worked like this, although I am not quite sure how it would really work. Maybe, when you were level 10 or above, before you went to KT, Merle would call on you, and he would send you to a special 1 person only dungeon with no monsters patrolling the streets. During that time, you would have to earn 'Job Points' by doing goals that Merle tells you do not give you anything but the Job Points. These goals were be for randomly scattered students with goals like crafting a special athame for them, or defeating a series of very easy bosses. You could leave the dungeon at any time, and your progress would be saved. However, you could not take back any Job Points you made, and it would all go towards your total needed of 100.
How it would be judged would be how you earned your Job Points. If you got them by doing a set of goals from a person who needed you to train her pet to a Teen so she could enter the Pet Derby, then you would be a trainer, etc. This seems like it would be a way to not completely choose your professions, but not have one given to you that seems like something you never do. For example, I haven't even gotten around to getting my novice crafter badge ( )
Just my ideas on an awesome subject.

Defender
May 17, 2009
Ranos131 wrote:
Okay so that is everything I have right now. I don’t PVP much so I wasn’t able to come up with a level 5 skill for Gladiator so any thoughts from PVP regulars would definitely help. Some of the skills are there because I really couldn’t think of anything better. I won’t say which ones but if someone posts a better skill, those will be the first to go.

Since there are already Gardener and Crafter badges, those professions might need to be called something different. I thought about Farmer instead of Gardener (since a farmer is really just a gardener on a much larger scale) but can’t think of anything that would work to replace Crafter.

I came up with the idea for names for each skill while working on the Thief. Thinking about the skills for Thief without a name just sounded wrong so I had to name them. Once the Thief had skill names, I had to give the rest names too. The names of many of the skills are there just because that is what sounded good at the time. A lot of those could be changed if I hear better names. Some of them I won’t change for various reasons. Some of these include the names that are quotes from movies or TV shows and the names of the Thief and Sage skills.

Please post with any new professions you can think of or different skills for a profession that you think might be better. If something looks unbalanced post that along with a fix for the unbalance. Basically post anything you think might make this idea better and more likely to get accepted by KI.

If I personally like a different skill for a profession, I will add it to the post for the profession. Any additional professions people come up with will not be added to my posts just so they don’t get cluttered with more than one profession.

On a final note, anyone who can find all of the skill names that are TV and movie quotes and name the movie or show they are from will get 50 points. Unfortunately, the points are like the ones in Who’s Line is it Anyway, they don’t really matter.

Level 5 gladiator spell- Fastest way to become a PvP warlord! Goes up one rank. Can only be used every other rank. Cool down time of one week.

Just an idea!

Defender
Jul 31, 2008