Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Outragous Algae Quest

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
I normally don't complain to much about games, but this is getting crazy. I have an Ice wizard, who is level 53 and has both critical hit and block gear (from the bazaar). I am doing the "My Dinner With Algae" quest. I have battled so many times and still no algae. The Crustacean Waverunners start with 5-6 pips so I get hit with Colossus or Icezilla right off the bat. It is irritating when you accomplish defeating these level 10 bosses that are of my own school, I get nothing. While I understand making thing more difficult as a player advances though the game, making it take days or weeks to get just 3 simple algae is not acceptable. I am frustrated that KI is trying to force me to battle with "friends" as I prefer to solo and not rely on someone else to win a battle for me.

I must say I am seriously considering leaving the game and making sure friends know that once you get to Celestia to plan on not being able to play if you aren't the right school. I feel you really messed up with this quest KI.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
You're planning to quit over one quest? I mean sure, I had the exact same problem (https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30346.ftl), but I wasn't frustrated enough to quit the whole game. I have to concede that there are some things in Celestia that you just can't solo at first. I couldn't complete that quest until a couple of similar-leveled dudes came in and helped me out. After that battle, they stuck around to help me with the rest of the quest.

Before that, I was a lone wolf, like you are. I soloed most of the game. But once I got to Celestia, I started seeing that grouping is the real way to go. This is a group-oriented game, correct?

Like I was told, don't give up! I promise you, it will level out eventually. Even if you prefer to solo, once you get to level 54-56, the gear you get will drastically increase your power, and you'll find that you're able to solo almost anything! I'm living proof! My Celestia life changed mid-Floating Land, and I'm confident that the same thing can happen to you with perseverance (Is that spelled correctly?)

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and Celestian Conquerer

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
Thank-you for your words of encouragement, they are really needed. I have since writing this asked for help from some legendary wizards through another site. Hopefully monday with their help I will be past this terrible quest.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Superwiz-I was tickled to see you are doing better now. I posted to your post. It really does get better. I am not sure if it gets easier or we finally adjust.

Sookielee--Please do hang in there. I went over to wizard101central.com and started scouring their boards and guides. I posted for help and folks really stepped up. If you need help post here again. We can try and meet up. I have a Legendary Life that could help you. My Death is the very beginnings of the Grotto. I totally understand how you are feeling. I was ready to pull my hair out on my Life. I made some really great friends In CL and have really great old friends that got me through.

Megan-formerly Firefan02

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Sookielee wrote:
I normally don't complain to much about games, but this is getting crazy. I have an Ice wizard, who is level 53 and has both critical hit and block gear (from the bazaar). I am doing the "My Dinner With Algae" quest. I have battled so many times and still no algae. The Crustacean Waverunners start with 5-6 pips so I get hit with Colossus or Icezilla right off the bat. It is irritating when you accomplish defeating these level 10 bosses that are of my own school, I get nothing. While I understand making thing more difficult as a player advances though the game, making it take days or weeks to get just 3 simple algae is not acceptable. I am frustrated that KI is trying to force me to battle with "friends" as I prefer to solo and not rely on someone else to win a battle for me.

I must say I am seriously considering leaving the game and making sure friends know that once you get to Celestia to plan on not being able to play if you aren't the right school. I feel you really messed up with this quest KI.

I understand your thoughts. It took me 2 weeks to complete that algae quest and i prefure to try to do quest by myself so i don't have to bother others. I don't think it should take that long for that quest.
Dakota Ghostsword Legendary Pyromancer

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
Yeah it may be hard, but think of the wicked experience you'll get when you finish it

Survivor
May 03, 2010
I think that they just need to raise the percentage. Right now I would say that it is 10% or less chance to get it. They should raise it to over 20% so that you have more chance. I had to fight 18 over the course of 2 hours to get it.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2010
Sookielee wrote:
Thank-you for your words of encouragement, they are really needed. I have since writing this asked for help from some legendary wizards through another site. Hopefully monday with their help I will be past this terrible quest.

I play 'solo' with 2 wizards at a time and the life one got through that quest fast - the other one (death) took forever! Tried it solo also but that didnt help either. I find that buying a henchman helps - then 3 of us in the fight. They re only 30 - 60 crowns! Some other fights also take forever as well! It does seem to help if you join in to a busy realm when the frustration gets too much. I love the henchmen's help in some of the boss fights also. Buy a level 60!
Met someone who also explained about splitting my screen to play 2 wizards instead of playing on 2 computers. Works pretty well but not so easy to see unless you have a really big screen. Fine for little fights though - worth a try.

When I have finished I might go back and just help people - really appreciated that when I first got to Celestia and couldnt do the first fights!.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
As an update:

With the help of a great F2M4H, I was finally able to get past this quest. I am now trying to battle the many high level ice mobs in The Science Center and Stormriven.

Battling an ice is difficult for many wizards, but if you school is ice that makes it doubly difficult. I have learned to ask for help and change realms to one that is busier when I get really frustrated. If that doesn't help, I just go to another world and help others with their questing and/or farming. I am now at level 59 on my ice and have started a life wizard that is at level 24 to get a change of pace.

A big tanks to all of you for your encouragement and empathy.