Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wild Bolt

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 05, 2011
Hi, all.

I'm new to this game and so please forgive me if this has been said 1,000 times, but it appears very much as though the Wild Bolt spell is broken.

Previously, it cost 2 pips and did 1,000 damage with an accuracy of 10%. With buffs this could be raised to about 35-40% accuracy, giving Storm wizards a bit of an edge in PvP.

In order to make the game more equitable, the spell has been altered to do between 10, 100 or 1,000 damage with a 70% accuracy. On paper, this looks like a good change, but in practice it makes the spell somewhat useless as it almost always does 10 damage, consuming two pips and any blades/traps that were active.

In order to make the spell usable again, I suggest the following:

Wild Bolt:

Pip cost: 2

Accuracy: 50%

Damage: 350-400, with a 50% chance to arc to the next target (continuing to arc until the check fails).

This would give the spell a potential 'chain-lightning' effect that would make it fun to use, but would not guarantee a ridiculous amount of damage to a single target.

Thoughts or comments?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Here's something I haven't said in a while: that's a good idea! It makes the spell useable and quells the whining of the PvP players. I hope KI sees this.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Go to the message boards under halstons laboratory and there should be a thread about Changes to Wild Bolt.
Hope I helped! :D
Angel

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

if you are new to the game, how come you know wild bolt originally did 1000 damage for 2 pips with a 10% accuracy?

There is a post by Professor Falmea: Wild Bolt a lengthy-Explanation. It's in Halston's Lab, I think. Please see it for clarification on changes to wild bolt.

We really do not need another thread on this topic, it's already been exhausted.

Thank you

Survivor
Feb 05, 2011
NicoUzumaki wrote:

if you are new to the game, how come you know wild bolt originally did 1000 damage for 2 pips with a 10% accuracy?

There is a post by Professor Falmea: Wild Bolt a lengthy-Explanation. It's in Halston's Lab, I think. Please see it for clarification on changes to wild bolt.

We really do not need another thread on this topic, it's already been exhausted.

Thank you

In response to your post, I found out about the original nature of Wild Bolt through some online research - many of the spell lists that come back in a Google search are out of date and outline spell specifics from before the (relatively) recent modifications.

As for the topic being exhausted, I don't know if I'd say that. It seems as though a number of people have novel ideas that they wish to discuss, which seems reasonable to me. Perhaps it would be more fair to say that the various discussions have been spread too far from the main thread? In my defence, I made this post before I knew that the appropriate forum was in Halston's Laboratory. My apologies for adding to the fourm sprawl, but I am sure that you fine folk will be forgiving towards an honest mistake

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
jimmytjammer wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm new to this game and so please forgive me if this has been said 1,000 times, but it appears very much as though the Wild Bolt spell is broken.

Previously, it cost 2 pips and did 1,000 damage with an accuracy of 10%. With buffs this could be raised to about 35-40% accuracy, giving Storm wizards a bit of an edge in PvP.

In order to make the game more equitable, the spell has been altered to do between 10, 100 or 1,000 damage with a 70% accuracy. On paper, this looks like a good change, but in practice it makes the spell somewhat useless as it almost always does 10 damage, consuming two pips and any blades/traps that were active.

In order to make the spell usable again, I suggest the following:

Wild Bolt:

Pip cost: 2

Accuracy: 50%

Damage: 350-400, with a 50% chance to arc to the next target (continuing to arc until the check fails).

This would give the spell a potential 'chain-lightning' effect that would make it fun to use, but would not guarantee a ridiculous amount of damage to a single target.

Thoughts or comments?
I like the idea that you made, but i personally think that the spell should go back to the way it was before the changes was made to it. I didn't see why it was changed anyway, and i liked how it was before.