Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 2-18-11

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello folks! Another week has flown by, and with it comes another Feedback Friday!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk crafting. What is your ONE favorite and ONE least favorite crafted item, and why? It can be due to the process (easy/hard/fun/frustrating) to make, or the item itself (stats/look/etc).

Have a great weekend, and a lovely week next week! This one will roll for 2 weeks, as your poor, tired Professor will be on a bit of a sabbatical on a tropical island. We will resume in March. Fire students, don't take this as an opportunity to cause too much trouble in the classroom, as the other Professors will be watching! ::grin::

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Dec 02, 2008
I don't like making things with Grendelweed lately. A spot I love in Mirkholm Keep is now often taken, and no plants harvest them as I see. I used to, like many other wizards here, absolutely hate Black Pearls, but Pink Dandelions have taken care of that :D . So, just suggesting, make a kind of plant that drops Grendelweeds? Also, I made a Pot of Soup once but it was kind of a bust... pretty small! Same with the Bamboo Fountain, although I like it anyway . There are some, on the other hand, that are rather large. For example, I spent a while finding a spot for the Grassy Mound in my MS house, not to mention a Stone Bridge. Lastly, I feel the NEED to craft all the 55 Robes for my characters, lol. CL Observatory is an awesome project I'm finishing up too. Have fun on your Floating Lands trip, Falmea :-)

Defender
May 05, 2010
I like the ring of insight (spelling maybe wrong) Its a pretty good ring if you have low power pip chance at an early level.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
My least favorite was the necklace for my Grandmaster Artisan quest, but only because that was before the drop rates for Sandstone & Sunstone were increased and I had to gather a thousand Stone Blocks to transmute them all!

That necklace is also one of my favorites, as (once the drop rates went up) the two healing cards are so useful it's the only crafting quest item I've crafted again after finishing the quest!

Overall though, my favorite crafted item - and the one I probably use the most - is my Watchtower Hall. I love the Grizzleheim style, it's more room than I need but the Dragon's Fjord is just too small. I'm really looking forward to adding Griz wallpapers and floors to finish the authentic look.

Defender
May 17, 2009
My favorite item is definitely the house that needs to be crafted from Celestia, with the one from Grizzleheim at a close second. It was actually very easy to get the kelp and pearls: just search around the Stormriven Hall. The only problem was the sunstones, but those come easily enough. My least favorite would probably be the water fountain. It just takes too many ingredients for it to be worth it.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2008
The rings and anthames that the Marleybone Crafter person gives you. You need 32 scrap iron in total, and it's quite rare(at least for me).

Defender
May 25, 2009
My most favorite thing to craft is the Crimson Bookstand, because it looks AWESOME! My least favorite thing to craft if the Carousel, because it takes so many Black Pearls which I HATE getting!

Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
The aquarium (though I still haven't managed to get everything needed) is probably my favorite thing to craft. My least favorite thing, and the thing I now loathe, is Ring of Apotheosis, because of the fact that every time I craft it, and put it in to my bank, it disappears! And I have to make another...then that one disappears from my bank.. and it's done this on every one of my characters. As well as on a few of my friends characters too.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
Not happy with the level 55 crafted items. Yes I mean ALL of them.
They give no power pip chance, No resistance to regular spells.
They are hard enough to craft but to have so little return is heartbreaking.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
My least favorite has to be the clothes... it seems like crafting a new set of clothes would give you the option for something with better stats instead of creating clothes with lower ones.

My favorite however has got to be the celestia pet snacks that take 0 time in the time slots. :D Those are a lifesaver for making snacks that have nice stats to help with leveling those pets!

Explorer
Jan 20, 2010
the ONE i love the most are the crystal lamps cause of their clever design and they shine :D
the LEAST favorite is the Aquarium in Grizzleheim cause of the helephant treasures needed, and major amount of fire blossoms (same with train and water fountain thing)

ps. would love some crafting items with some function the house owner would be in control of :)

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
I have never crafted anything in my entire life, and I don't plan to. But I like reagents because I can sell them and have money. My least favorite would probably be a crafting table of any kind because it would be a waste for me to own.

Survivor
Nov 04, 2009
I really would like to craft a house but you need to much stuff to do it. Also I wish that when we have to craft 2 items for a quest it would be nice if we could at least get one of them as a reward!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
My favorite is the level 55 items for fire because it gave boost to life.
My least, everything else for other school :P

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
My least favorite item to make was the Seal of the Seven Seas Amulet before they fixed the shortage of reagents needed with the update. That was a HUGE pain to make, otherwise I love the amulet itself.

My favorite crafting item would have to be the train, it's just so cute!

But if this information is to be used in new ideas for crafts, how about something more interactive. Like for example in the new craft house you can use the pvp arena. Not saying make something that big but like an interactive toy for our pets or whatever.

Survivor
Mar 24, 2009
I like pretty much all crafting items, except one: ECTOPLASM!!! I believe you get too much of it from drops, and it just fills up for backpack.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
I love the idea of crafting. It is rather empowering to be able to make items needed or wanted within the game. On the other hand, it is so frustrating to be required to make items we don't need or even get to keep, to satisfy crafting quests. In the earliest crafting quests, we get to keep a crafting table and a new outfit. As we work for the higher level crafting badges (and the priviledge of making advanced items) we have to give up the crafted article. Hmm. Why? This seems illogical, and is frustrating as they require so many rare reagents.

I also have a concern regarding some of the spell cards used as reagents. While I can afford to buy them, younger wizards may not have an outside income. This puts them at a disadvantage, that may lead them to give up. I think that all players should be able to craft treasure cards from other schools. This would allow all players to successfully craft the items needed for quests. It should not lead to all players, regardless of their school, having the same decks. It takes time, effort, and sometimes ellusive reagents, to craft anything, including spell cards. Only someone who really wants the card will buy the recipe and then continue crafting the card.

I would love to be able to grow some of the reagents in my garden, not just have some plants randomly throw me a reagent. Imagine growing black lotus. When harvested, you choose between earning two seeds, or one pearl, or three black lotus reagents. If you are patient and willing to work, you can eventually grow enough for your recipe. Just like real farming.

Now that I am done with the DS quest, I am looking forward to crafting items for my new castle. I would even like to craft that house from GH. But wow look at all the reagents. Will I live long enough to complete the recipe? I would also like to see more housing items, available for crafting. I am tired of the same old choices in the shops. Sadly, I am not all that happy with the items available for crafting. I hope KI will put some thought into designs that reflect the beauty of the Spiral worlds, and make it fun to decorate my new massive fantasy palace!

I would also like to be able to craft potions, including transformation potions. How about crafting a new hairdo, or color-change spell for an outfit? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to craft a new wand (something really worth while here), or a pet or a mount? How about crafting a new plant for the garden? Here is a crazy one, how about crafting crowns or gold? I know KI needs to make money, but for players without their own income, that would really help out. And It would take some real effort to fulfill the recipe, so you know it is going to be done by a truly dedicated player. They deserve the help right? Well I think so anyway, and I can afford to buy crowns.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
My least favorite (so far) is the Storm Celestian Gear. It is WAY too hard to craft. It's bad enough it uses twice as many golden pearls as the death gear, but you also have to have Stormzilla treasure cards, which you can't find and are nearly impossible to make. Please, please, please make this as easy as the death gear to craft. (That's fair, isn't it?)

As for my fovorite: I really don't have one. I like the housing items. We can put them on display and enjoy them.

Thanks for the chance to give my two cents!

Have a great weekend, and I hope you have a very relaxing time! :-D

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
my favorite is the carousel - I love it! and my least favorite was the crimson bookcase

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:
Hello folks! Another week has flown by, and with it comes another Feedback Friday!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk crafting. What is your ONE favorite and ONE least favorite crafted item, and why? It can be due to the process (easy/hard/fun/frustrating) to make, or the item itself (stats/look/etc).

Have a great weekend, and a lovely week next week! This one will roll for 2 weeks, as your poor, tired Professor will be on a bit of a sabbatical on a tropical island. We will resume in March. Fire students, don't take this as an opportunity to cause too much trouble in the classroom, as the other Professors will be watching! ::grin::
My least favorite is the the ones in Marleybone because of the scrap iron. I haven't been able to go forward in crafting because of this and I am in Celestia! My favorite is probably the first one we had to do!

Hero
May 02, 2009
My favorite crafted item is of course the mannequins, as I get to put my old clothes on display for others to see (and to make them be like other wizards/creatures).

As for my least favorite, it would probably have to be the flamesoul cloak, because of the amount of black pearls it takes to make (the low black pearl drop rate doesnt help either).

Survivor
Feb 25, 2009
My favorite wa sthe possibility dirk and my least favorite is the cloak of weighty grief because it nearly impossible to get that many black pearls

Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
One of my personal favorites is the Grizzleheim Crafting House, sure it's challenging but it's a lot of fun once it's done. My least favorite was the 2 items to make in Marleybone. Though not challenging, it took a lot of time to get the materials.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
My favorite has to be the transmute lava lilly my least favorite is the watchtower hall because i went bankrupt so quick.

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
"What is your ONE favorite and ONE least favorite crafted item, and why?"

Fave: The Grizzleheim House ... because "We do not do these things because they are easy. We do them because they are hard!" ... Such leadership put a man on the moon. Instills a pride in the game unmatched by ANY other quest. Please ... Do not weaken The House to quiet the whiners ... strengthen the whiners instead.

UnFave: With the exception of a ring and an athame recipe available from the vendor in Olde Towne, ALL equipment and clothing recipes available in the game from Krokotopia up thru Dragonspyre are "too little ... and too late". They offer ZERO chance of improving your game by taking the time needed to craft them. So, nobody does.

They are "too little and too late" because just playing the "main quest" storyline advances your wizard FAR above the level of the equipment you can craft ... BEFORE you even THINK about enhancing your level by farming a few HUNDRED mobs to gather the reagents needed to craft the equipment. For example.

Krokotopia offers level 22 items. Sounds pretty good when you hit the Oasis at level 10-12 by forcing your wizard to ignore ALL non "main-quest" tasks (a job all in itself btw, lol), but does NOT sound so good when you find the vendor for your school is in a location that FORCES you to level your wizard PAST level 22 in order to reach the recipe ... Consequently, throughout the ENTIRE game (thru Dragonspyre), mob drops and the Bazaar will ALWAYS out perform crafted items. So, nobody does.

The Wizard City OldeTowne Crafter's ring and athame offer health and mana boosts you are unlikely to improve upon in non-farming play and the reagents required are realistically obtainable .. without realm skipping or any other "artificially employed" glitch. I have carried 20+ wizards to Krokotopia and only TWO have improved upon this ring and athame via mob drops. This makes crafting them ... worth it.

I stay out of the Bazaar until my wizard has a home for trophy storage and gardening. After the home and garden are acquired, the Bazaar beats crafting hands down all day long. So, nobody does.

There are those of us who feel an item that requires you to kill 100 Rank "n" bosses to gather the elements needed to craft an item should produce an item that is "better" than ANY drop a Rank "n+1" boss corpse provides. Although I agree, I am not interested in "best, bester, and bestest" comparisons when comparing crafted, crowned, and corpsed items and their "strengths" within the game. lol.

I am interested in integrating "crafting" such that it adds something to the game crowns and corpses cannot provide. As it stands, crafting is poorly "timed" in that WHEN the recipes can be expected to "work", the level of the equipment provided is not of any practical use. So, nobody does.

I don't think crafting clothes and equipment should be done at all.

I think crafting should be used to craft additional "effects" that are applied to "existing" clothes and equipment. Players should be able to add PERMANENT buffs for health, mana, resistances, damage, accuracy, criticals, chance of a power pip, and THE BY ZEUS'S BUT TOCKS Pet/GARDENING Bulb, by crafting them upon the items they have equipped. The strength of the buffs should be dependent upon the level of craftsmanship attained, starting at a suggested 5% and increasing by 5% per level of skill, adjusting and balancing the game as required. Accuracy buffs should NOT come in 5% increments ... lol ... sorry Diviners ... rotf.

NOW ... crafting becomes integral into ALL phases of the game ...

So, EVERYBODY does.

That is of course, provided we also realistically address the reagent harvesting issues. The buffs suggested here are to be repeated EVERYTIME a wizard changes their clothes. This activity should probably NOT be measured in man-years or make use of a half-life scale along with Cheyrnoble artifacts or the alleged contents of The Arc of the Covenant.

Crafting badges should remain "difficult" ... perhaps even toughened a bit at the lowest levels considering the strength of the proposed buffs. We also are trying for better game play performance by encouraging more wizards to craft, rather than combat, as crafting lessens the animation workload upon the system - always a "good" thing. Better for everybody.

Speaking of things that are better for everybody ... here's to tropical islands in the clutches of winter and powdered snow in the swelter of summer ... have one for all of us and "don't get any on ya", Professor.

lol.

P.S. - That was ONE for ALL of us, not EACH of us. Warning noted. XD.