Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions,Questions,Questions on Pet Hatching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2010
I have many questions about pets and mainly about combining two adults to hatch a new pet. So confused and please help. First, I was wondering if I combined two pets and each has a spell card (ex. one with blade adding 30% more power to a spell and second with a spell card for stun block) will the new pet hatched have both spells, or one, or possibly no spell? If hatching two pets, and you receive the same exact pet can you reverse this in any way? When combining two pets you have or with someone else, do you get to keep both original pets with their abilities/ spells or your one pet in addition to the new pet? Is it best to wait to build up to ancient or epic or reach level 48 for the hybrid pets I have heard about? And Finally, is there any recommended combinations that are great to have when combining to hatch pets and is the result even guaranteed if I read a message/posting on this? Wow, lots of quesitons, but would be grateful for any answers to all/or even any. Thankfull for any responses to all these quesitons. Thanks so much :)

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
cari11 wrote:
If I combined two pets and each has a spell card (ex. one with blade adding 30% more power to a spell and second with a spell card for stun block) will the new pet hatched have both spells, or one, or possibly no spell?

It will have the innate spell of the like parent. A Hybrid might have its own unique innate card.

If hatching two pets, and you receive the same exact pet can you reverse this in any way?
No way to reverse Hatching, but you won't get the exact same pet. It will always be a combination of the Talents, Skills and Stats of the parents.
Which is the primary purpose of Hatching (that is what determines the cost).

When combining two pets you have or with someone else, do you get to keep both original pets with their abilities/ spells or your one pet in addition to the new pet?
You keep your parent(s) and your offspring.

Is it best to wait to build up to ancient or epic or reach level 48 for the hybrid pets I have heard about?
Depends on which Talents you want. It's best to Hatch with only the four manifested Talents you want - so two Adults.

And Finally, is there any recommended combinations that are great to have when combining to hatch pets and is the result even guaranteed if I read a message/posting on this?
It all depends on the type of pet you like and the Talents you like.
No guarantees.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
cari11 wrote:
I have many questions about pets and mainly about combining two adults to hatch a new pet. So confused and please help. First, I was wondering if I combined two pets and each has a spell card (ex. one with blade adding 30% more power to a spell and second with a spell card for stun block) will the new pet hatched have both spells, or one, or possibly no spell? If hatching two pets, and you receive the same exact pet can you reverse this in any way? When combining two pets you have or with someone else, do you get to keep both original pets with their abilities/ spells or your one pet in addition to the new pet? Is it best to wait to build up to ancient or epic or reach level 48 for the hybrid pets I have heard about? And Finally, is there any recommended combinations that are great to have when combining to hatch pets and is the result even guaranteed if I read a message/posting on this? Wow, lots of quesitons, but would be grateful for any answers to all/or even any. Thankfull for any responses to all these quesitons. Thanks so much :)

Ok, first of all, the answer to some of your questions is that it all depends. For instance, the cards bit. If it's a pet that gives a card automatically, then your pet should get that too. An example of this would be mixing two school pets. You won't get both of those cards, however. You'll get the one that corresponds to the main base of your new pet. That, in turn, will be decided by which parent pet was listed as the primary pet in the hatching process. If you're doing a solo hatch, the first pet (the one on the left hand side) is the primary pet, and will almost certainly decide the base for the new pet. Things get much more uncertain if you hatch with someone else. If the parent pets don't come with guaranteed cards, but rather gain those spells as skills the same way they would pip boost, then nothing is guaranteed. Your new pet will have a list of possible skills it will develop, and those cards will be some of the options. The card that corresponds to the primary pet will have much higher odds of being developed as a skill, but the skills of the secondary parent are also possible (just less likely).

Hatching with someone else adds a lot more randomness to the pet you get. It makes hatching cheaper and increases the diversity of your pet's dna, but you just can't be certain of what you'll end up with. For isntance, I mised my Sea Dragon with another person's archfiend. I ended up hatching an archfiend and the other person hatched a Sea Dragon, but the opposite could have happened. Then again, we both could have ended up with the same pet.

If you can wait, it's best to level your pet up as much as possible first. Leveling your pet improves their dna. Each pet starts with a base pedigree or power level. For instance, a pure blooded Sea Dragon has a pedigree or base power of 72 (the highest I've come across so far). As you level your pet, however, a second number (the one in marks like this comment) grows...indicating a stronger pet with more highly developed skills. That will increase the odds of having a stronger hatchling. Your pets level can also affect the cost of hatching. So, the best option is to level your pet first.

The answer to your final question is another it all depends. While it's always best to have a stronger pet (higher core number), the best pet for you may not be the best pet for someone else. It tends to be best if you can match the school of your pet with your primary school. Some pets can give skills like school specific attack boosts or defense boosts, as well as blades. For instance, my life wizard has a sea turtle pet (life school based) that will cast life blade on my wizard. It doesn't give me a life blade card I can use, it casts the spell itself so that I don't have to take a turn to do it. My ice wizard has a starfish pet (ice school pet) that gives me a blizzard card, can cast ice traps, boosts ice attack, and boosts generic defense. My death wizard has a tempest that boosts both death attack power and death spell accuracy. So, as you can see, it helps if you can match these kinds of skills to your wizard's primary school. Then again, pets like Sea Dragon (fire), Starfish (ice) and Sea Turtle (life) can all develop the spritely skill. Spritely simply means that your pet will occasionally cast a sprite on you on its own. That's quite a useful skill as it means you get healed without taking a turn or using your pips to do it. So, if you had a Sea Dragon with spritely, pips o'plenty, and health or accuracy boosts the fact that it's a fire school pet is meaningless, and it would work great for any wizard. Mix and match pets with these facts in mind and see how their skills develop. You'll likely want to level a few pets and then see what works best for your wizard.

I hope this response proves helpful to you. I know some parts of my answer may seem a bit confusing, but the process is a bit involved, and many of your questions have conditional answers. Without knowing what school your wizard is, or what pets you have to work with (or what pets you can get), I can't give you any more definitive answers than this.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
Many answers for many questions. First no guarantee. Second anythings possible. Third, and most important dont mix spell type pet with? Well that's a secret.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
If you can wait, it's best to level your pet up as much as possible first. Leveling your pet improves their dna. Each pet starts with a base pedigree or power level. For instance, a pure blooded Sea Dragon has a pedigree or base power of 72 (the highest I've come across so far). As you level your pet, however, a second number (the one in marks like this comment) grows...indicating a stronger pet with more highly developed skills. That will increase the odds of having a stronger hatchling. Your pets level can also affect the cost of hatching.
Level of pet does not increase the cost of Hatching.

The second number is the total number of Rarity Points the pet has manifested. It does not really increase the odds of having a stronger Hatchling.
The Talents that have already manifested in the parents have a greater chance of manifesting in the offspring. So, it's best to Hatch with pets that have already manifested the Talents you like. But, you probably don't want to Hatch with an Epic pet that has manifested Talents you don't like.
If you have an Adult that has manifested two Talents you like, it's probably best to Hatch a few times with the Adult before training it to Epic.

it helps if you can match these kinds of skills to your wizard's primary school.
Since you can mix in the Talents you like, it really depends on which Talents you want to mix into the pet type you like. You could mix Fire Talents from a Firecat onto a Polar Cat if you wanted to.
Depends on what your character likes.