Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

C: Drive and lack of space D: Tons of space

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
I know this topic been floating around. Problem I have is I have a Small SSD drive C:\ and installing Wizard101 on this drive is not a Option in my case. It only has windows 7 and Drivers not much for anything Else. All the software I have installed As long as computers Been out I was asked which drive do you want to install on. Which is Fine for me. But on Wizard101 I was not Asked. When I look it up in F.A.Q. I had a answer that unture.

I want to download wizard101 somewhere other then Program Files on my C drive can I do this?

you are a Windows XP user this should not be a problem. Once you open the installer you will be prompted with an option to change your Desitantion Folder. To do this simply press Browse and then select the folder you would like to install Wizard101 to.

If you are a Windows Vista user you are not able to change where Wizard101 is installed on your machine. Vista will default the game to download into your C drive.

I ask a Well Known Tech Scott Mueller He Written 30+ Tech Books. This Question

Is there a Way to force a Program to Update and install on a Differnt Hard drive on Windows 7.

Scott Answer
Where software installs is determined by the installer, and how that works is determined by the person or people who wrote it.

Which to me Points to company Wizard101. Not the OS.

Here the Rest of Scott Post

If the installer does not provide an option to change the installed location, then perhaps you could move the program after it is installed. That may require updating shortcuts, registry entries, and/or program related scripts, and may not be possible if the original location is hard-wired into the program code. If you are unable to move the program after installation, I recommend you take this issue up with the software programmers.

Which is what I am trying to Do on This Tread.

I just want to play With my Mom and my Nephew Again.

Explorer
Mar 04, 2009
I haven't done it in a while, but I know it is possible because I installed straight to my flash drive. If it doesn't ask you in the main installation window, i believe you should go to "Options" in that window. I apologize if I am incorrect.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Have you tried remapping the drive letter assignments (change Flash to E for example and your current D to C? See this for XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
I have a Feeling if you say in a While you where on Windows XP. Which Windows Vista and Windows 7 Been out 2 mybe 3 Years. My Point is. Any software Should ask which location you want to install. Becuse Most Desktop and some High end Laptops have More then One Hard drive.

My setup is a Alienware M17x R2 with 80gb SSD and 620 gb 5400rpm hard drive. With 6gb of space.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
rocketlauncherdude wrote:
Have you tried remapping the drive letter assignments (change Flash to E for example and your current D to C? See this for XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Small problem Rocketlauncherdude. That a good way to corrupt software. Read this from Microsoft support from your tread "Warning: Changing the drive letter of a volume could cause programs to no longer run."

Really we dont want new users to worry about ruining there systems. So this really need to Be fix for Newbie computer users at age 8 to 14.

The selling point of alot of new computer is High Windows Score and having a normal hard drive the score stays at 5.9. But adding a Small SSD drive jumps that score to 7.0 to 7.6 which is a good selling point to new computer user and most New users dont take there time to Look at the Whole Windows Score to see that the 50+ Old hardware tech known as Hard drives is the Slowest Part of the computer.

So my View is KingsIsle ent. needs to Fix there Installer and not Point fingers at the OS. I also Contacted microsoft to see there view on this Matter.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
"Warning: Changing the drive letter of a volume could cause programs to no longer run."

Yes, you are right - this would most likely mess up current program installs. It would need to be done when setting up the computer, and even then there might be inconsistencies. The install program MUST ask where to be installed in this day and age. By the way, my kids are running this in both Bootcamp on a macbook pro as well as Wine on a macbook - talk about interesting installs

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
Well rocketlauncherdude What the techs from microsoft are saying is The developer of the software made the decision to limit where the software could be installed

Which to me is Like saying I can own a House but you must use the garage for your Car. No matter What. But my view is this. I should be able to setup my Garage the way I want.

Now I hope the Techs from KingsIsle Entertainment will fix This issue. So I can Play with My nephew.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2011
My experience with the installer is the same, it defaults to the system drive C, and the "Program Files" dir, with no prompting for an alternative.

There should be standalone installer that allows a custom install.

After install, you can pickup the installation dir and move it somewhere else. I have done so successfully with my install. I've also zipped up the install dir and installed the client on another pc, without issues.

So as a workaround, let the installer install the client onto C drive, and then move it. If you want it to be tidy, you'll need to edit the registry settings for Wizard 101 too, but there are only a few keys.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
bongo000 wrote:
My experience with the installer is the same, it defaults to the system drive C, and the "Program Files" dir, with no prompting for an alternative.

There should be standalone installer that allows a custom install.

After install, you can pickup the installation dir and move it somewhere else. I have done so successfully with my install. I've also zipped up the install dir and installed the client on another pc, without issues.

So as a workaround, let the installer install the client onto C drive, and then move it. If you want it to be tidy, you'll need to edit the registry settings for Wizard 101 too, but there are only a few keys.

I can agree with you on the frist part with custom install. That all I am asking for KingsIsle Entertainment to give us.

But your Work around idea. That works great with Software with Little or No updates bongo. But online Games that a differnt matter. Bascily with Online games They tend to check the Location where the Software was Frist Installed. Which is C:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment\Wizard101. But with Wizard101 Updating every Few weeks. You have to do more then Just Copy and Paste. There updating shortcuts, registry entries. Which to a Tech that easy. But for Normal Person that like HUH. Or handing a young Child your car keys and tell them go take it for a ride with out someone Teaching them to drive frist. In both Cases it will lead us with is a Crash that we my not recover from. Child or Computer.

Let explain what happen a Local mechanic. His computer hard drive started messing up there pictures he need asap. So He thinking as a Mechanic. He take the Hard drive out no biggie. Then take apart the Hard drive to see what was wrong. So there no Reovery Possable. Then he calls the tech which at the time was me. I have to explain to him becuse the two Disk in the Hard drive has the Picture on both disk. Plus the Finger prints on the Disks Recovery is like winning the Lotto Almost Impossable.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2011
Zantar, let's not turn this thread into a flame war.

If you don't to use my work around, then don't, no skin off my nose.

I'm offering advice based on my personal experiences with the clients of various online games I've played. A certain popular one done by a company starting with "B" is a classic example, its client is huge, and copying the client is preferrable to installing and letting it update the new install.

In the case of Wizard 101, once moved it will update and continue to download new content to the new location. The registry settings are the uninstaller, no biggie if you copied it to another computer, as you won't need the uninstaller, just delete the dir. The only shortcut is on the desktop, which you can recreate easily.

Steam games are different, but they have documented procedures.

As for your mechanic friend, refer him to a good data recovery service, they can do wonders.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
Sorry to say We are not in the Windows XP or Dos Age anymore where Moving Programs is easy as copy and Paste. Most people are on Windows 7 and Vista if they updated in the Last Few years.

Please Feel free to reread Scott Again.

If the installer does not provide an option to change the installed location, then perhaps you could move the program after it is installed. That may require updating shortcuts, registry entries, and/or program related scripts, and may not be possible if the original location is hard-wired into the program code. If you are unable to move the program after installation, I recommend you take this issue up with the software programmers.

For a Tech this is very easy to do. But My point is bongo000 I rather have users have a Choice to install the software where they want. So When this issue comes up to a new users. They can pick the location.

What if the person has a 60gb SSD drive as there Boot up drive. Do you want them to buy a New hard disk? Then reinstall windows on that Drive so they can play a game?

The Point I am trying to Make bongo000 I want a fix. Not a work around that can Ruin someone computer if the user dose not know what he/she doing.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
As for the Mechanic I was useing him as how someone can make one small minor problem into a Huge Problem and for the Data Recovery service they cost Tons of Money in the Thousands of dollors and Western Digital Hard drives tend to be impossable to fix. You can't just Put the Two Disks into another WD hard disk and have it works. There stuff like Frameware and the disk have to set to right part of the disk to access it.

My Main point of This Topic is Make the Game More Install Friendly. So a computer with little space on C:\. Can install on D:\.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
I have the same problem. I would really like to see a response from Kingsisle on this. I can see where the installer needs to be kept simple for younger users but not having the option to change the installation directory is really frustrating.