Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Error on Pet Hatching (Mixing Talents)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009

Something is going on with the Pet Hatching - Mixing Talents!

I hatched my Sea Dragon Pet (58 Pedigree) with my father's Sea Dragon Pet (72 Pedigree), and one of the 4 Talents of my father's new Sea Dragon Pet (66 Pedigree) doesn't make sense. Let me elaborate:

My Sea Dragon Pet Talents (58 Pedigree) that I hatched with my dad:
- Pip O'Plenty
- Fire-Giver
- Spell-Proof
- Spritely

My dad's Sea Dragon Pet Talents (72 Pedigree):
- Sharp-Shot
- Spritely
- Health Gift
- Piercemonger

My New Sea Dragon Pet Talents - 64 Pedigree:
- Don't know yet, still a Baby

My dad's new Sea Dragon Pet Talents - 66 Pedigree:
- Pip O'Plenty
- Health Gift
- Piercemonger
- Death Aura

Now my question, if my Pet and my Dad's Pet have the same Talent like the Spritely for example, then the new hatch Pet is supposed to get a Spritely, isn't it?

And my dad's new Pet, it was able to learn "Death Aura", now how in the world did his new Pet able to learn this "Death Aura" Talent when in fact the two original/Parent Pets didn't even possessed this "Death Aura" Talent?

KI, Professor Greyrose, Gamma, or anybody, would you be able to answer these 2 questions of mine?

Thanks!

Defender
Oct 05, 2010
i am not sure about this but from what i understand, the pet will get a talent that the parents COULD have had. i belive that death aura is on the list for POSSIBLE sea dragon talents, and because at least one of the parents had the possiblety to get it (in this case, both did i am just metioning the fact that only one parent is required to have the abilty), so the baby could obtain it. agian, this is what i understand from this thing, it is all very confusing.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
hellokitty1921 wrote:

if my Pet and my Dad's Pet have the same Talent like the Spritely for example, then the new hatch Pet is supposed to get a Spritely, isn't it?

It has a very high chance to manifest Spritely, but it is not guaranteed.

And my dad's new Pet, it was able to learn "Death Aura", now how in the world did his new Pet able to learn this "Death Aura" Talent when in fact the two original/Parent Pets didn't even possess this "Death Aura" Talent?
Your Sea Dragon-58 must have Death Aura in its petnome.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
yes i agree the pet talent mixxing is all messed up

i have a sea dragon with pain giver, pip o plenty, disarm
mixed with a storm hound with storm aura and storm giver
the new pet got health gift
tryed agian got spell proof
where did that come from i chose what talents i wanted carfuly
out of the 100 pets i have and still cant get the talents i want
so whats the point in any of it ki just needs to let us choose the talents as the grow training meening i have some say in what my pet does
if i train my dog to sit he doesnt play dead when i say sit he sits lol

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
hellokitty1921 wrote:

Something is going on with the Pet Hatching - Mixing Talents!

I hatched my Sea Dragon Pet (58 Pedigree) with my father's Sea Dragon Pet (72 Pedigree), and one of the 4 Talents of my father's new Sea Dragon Pet (66 Pedigree) doesn't make sense. Let me elaborate:

My Sea Dragon Pet Talents (58 Pedigree) that I hatched with my dad:
- Pip O'Plenty
- Fire-Giver
- Spell-Proof
- Spritely

My dad's Sea Dragon Pet Talents (72 Pedigree):
- Sharp-Shot
- Spritely
- Health Gift
- Piercemonger

My New Sea Dragon Pet Talents - 64 Pedigree:
- Don't know yet, still a Baby

My dad's new Sea Dragon Pet Talents - 66 Pedigree:
- Pip O'Plenty
- Health Gift
- Piercemonger
- Death Aura

Now my question, if my Pet and my Dad's Pet have the same Talent like the Spritely for example, then the new hatch Pet is supposed to get a Spritely, isn't it?

And my dad's new Pet, it was able to learn "Death Aura", now how in the world did his new Pet able to learn this "Death Aura" Talent when in fact the two original/Parent Pets didn't even possessed this "Death Aura" Talent?

KI, Professor Greyrose, Gamma, or anybody, would you be able to answer these 2 questions of mine?

Thanks!

Each pet has a list of skills that it CAN learn, but just like loot drops it's still fairly random. So, if you had 10 Sea Dragons, 10 of them could have spritely, none of them could have it, or any number in between. Death Aura is the weird part, as Sea Dragons are fire school based and Death Aura is obviously a death school skill. The only thing I can think of is that there must have been a death school pet (like maybe a jellyfish) involved in hatching at some point. Seeing as how your Sea Dragon was only a 58 (quite low for a Sea Dragon. the norm for a full-blooded Sea Dragon is 72), I'm guessing that it was the result of mixing a Sea Dragon with another pet. In this case, it would have to be a death school pet. When you hatched that pet with your Dad's Sea Dragon, that bit of death school dna was carried over into the new Sea Dragon. Now, since it is still a Sea Dragon, the odds favor it developing typical Sea Dragon skills. The skills of any non-Sea Dragon ancestor can, however, sneak in from time to time. That's the only scenario that explains both the appearance of the Death Aura skill and your Sea Dragon's low pedigree.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
58 pedigree is WAY low for sea dragon. Question for you is, Are you both the same spell type? Well there's your answer, and I dont even have to hear it.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
well, the thing is that there is another six hidden talents that you have not unlocked that you cant if at epic, so, if there is one that it never had it was actually there just hidden.