Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

some pet questions!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Alright i have a couple questions:
whats with the dna numbers?
why does hatching cost so much when you can buy a better pet (stats posibly)for less?
why does hatching only mutate SOME pets, it should mutate all, or 50-50 on all?
i think thats it, please help!
(level 47 balance wizard Rowan)

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
Not sure with DNA numbers, and the hatching cost is because your taking a 25% chance of ex: helephant and stormzilla, a 25% chance of a helphant, a stormzilla or a burninator. Devin Owlrider lvl 60 Pyromancer ~^^~ Feel the burn! ~^^~

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009

whats with the dna numbers?

The DNA is an indication of the quality of your pet's abilities plus its inherent strengths. Look at all of the ten possible talents for dueling and pet racing. Each little dot represents one of the DNA numbers. The more ultra-rare and epic talents a pet has, the higher their DNA number will be. Furthermore, the greater your pet's strength, intelligence, agility, will and power, the higher its DNA will be.

A pet with a DNA number of 50 or above will have several rare/epic talents and/or strength attributes that are mostly above 200.

why does hatching cost so much when you can buy a better pet (stats posibly)for less?

What you are paying for in hatching is the chance of combining two or more desirable traits into one pet. If one has a health gift and the other has an accuracy boost for your school, you might try hatching them together to get both of those talents into one pet.

The higher your pets' DNA (pedigree), the higher will be the cost of hatching it. Also, the cost increases as more talents are manifested through leveling up. It's more expensive to hatch an epic Helephant than an adult Helephant--but with the epic one you have a better chance that at least two of his manifested talents will end up manifesting in the offspring.

It used to cost a whole lot more to hatch pets. At least now the amount is within reach after a couple of days spent farming.

why does hatching only mutate SOME pets, it should mutate all, or 50-50 on all?

I'm not sure why more pets don't mutate, aside from the protections KI put in place to keep ultra-rare pets ... ultra rare.

In ordinary hatching, what I've seen is that the offspring pet seems to take after the lower pedigree parents in looks, but will usually have more of the higher pedigree pet's strengths and talents. I've been breeding lower pedigree pets with a spell card I like and school-specific talents with my higher pedigree pets that I won from Celestia drops, and I've gotten some really good dueling pets with the stats and cards I want.

I haven't tried to hatch for mutations, though. I guess if a mutation is what you're wanting, I can understand why you're feeling disappointed. Maybe some pets are more likely to mutate than others. You could try looking that up at Wizard101 Central.

Good luck!

Alia MistHaven - Legendary Sorcerer