Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A problem with the first seconds of PVP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 31, 2010
I've been noticing a trend in PVP.

Players have another player watch their friends enter a fight, and then TIP off their friends as to what school their opponents are using. What ends up happening, the Tipped off player equips anti-opposing player's school equipment.

I've seen players raise their resist up to over 50% within the first seconds before the fight starts and something about this doesn't sound right because it puts an unfair advantage in favor of one of the players.

Is it possible to limit what players can do while waiting for a PVP to start? Much like what happens when they're pulled into a battle circle vs a generic monster?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
A couple of options...

1) Be random with spells/schools/wands/prisms. It doesn't even require a friend to "tip off" anyone if you consistently use the same pattern. Some people will actually remember you.

2) Recruit your own spotters or watch PVP matches yourself and annotate pattern setters.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
This was never an issue at level 50 pvp. Arena gear gave the biggest resist boosts with the trade off for a little less damage. Arena gear put everyone on an equal playing field for the most part. Resist is major in pvp, now you have a situation that level 58 armor only provides resistance against two out of seven schools. Players are forced to chose to go mega critical and leave themselves wide open to all attacks or get crafty like the poster mentioned above. Ice is the only school that is exempt from these new trade offs that exist now in the arena. You will eventually see high end players having a specific set of defense gear and decks made for every school. As you go up in rank the playing field gets thinned out and you can easily get a handle on who your opponent is going to bend thus giving you time to prepare for the fight. Soon, I predict, you won't be able to show up to a rank 1100 fight and find your opponent has 55 plus resistance to you (if not more). Arena is changing and people will always exploit any advantages as they exist. Sounds like your opponent was a little more prepared than you and that's something you might want to think about working on

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Armontiiago wrote:

Players have another player watch their friends enter a fight, and then TIP off their friends as to what school their opponents are using. What ends up happening, the Tipped off player equips anti-opposing player's school equipment.

I've seen players raise their resist up to over 50% within the first seconds before the fight starts and something about this doesn't sound right because it puts an unfair advantage in favor of one of the players.

Is it possible to limit what players can do while waiting for a PVP to start? Much like what happens when they're pulled into a battle circle vs a generic monster?
Yes, but what if they have gear that doesnt give anything! like elegant hat, cloak, and boots which happens to me a lot I have to switch my gear in seconds to my critical block, critical chance, power, accuracy and resist gear so Yeah, do some research about what warlords do sometimes ;)

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Armontiiago wrote:

people stop complaining about pvp! it is 50 50 chance anyone could win unless for example you are a legendary (like me) and face an adept, magus, master, etc,

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
jmcjmc1 wrote:
Armontiiago wrote:

people stop complaining about pvp! it is 50 50 chance anyone could win unless for example you are a legendary (like me) and face an adept, magus, master, etc,
you're missing the point of the original poster, here's an example. When a fire wizard fights another fire wizard if he knows who he is fighting has a 10 second opportunity to switch gear that gives 82% resistance to fire attacks with a spell proof pet (87% when pet also has spell defy) I've been on the short side of this situation and had a gargantuan effete hit no shield for under 200 damage. Things have gotten dirty in pvp and when you rank high you see it more and more. I have started to use this technique to deal with the swarm of ice wizards, switching my level 58 robe for insulated armor which brings my ice resistance to 61%. high level players fight the same people often so this is an easy thing to do. The lack of resist has tempted others to find other ways of finding resist and it's taking the fun out of the game. I see a trend developing and it's affecting the arena. That being said this is my favorite game and I love questing and pvp, just looking for ways yo make it better. I think they should not only update arena gear but not let players access their menu in the opening ten seconds to preform this gear switch. It's ruining player vs player