Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What's the point of lvl 48 pets?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
I mean, yes, you get some sweet looking combos out of them....... but..... now the big craze is the sea dragon pet, or starfish pet, or spinyfish pets.......

What's the point of the lvl 48 pets if all we're going to do is put them in the zoo?

They don't come with good talents like Spell Proof, and I think the satyr might be the only one that comes with Spritely.... correct me if I'm wrong.

But I honestly don't remember when I bothered to level up my level class pets that I receive at level 48.

I think they're cool looking, but not really that practicable to use in the game.... like pvp. I mean, the Jellyfish pet that everyone gets from a quest is better than the wraith by a long shot.

Plus, the level 48 pets have a lot of selfish talents that are pointless.... they have low agility, so they're resists aren't that high...

It just seems to be a waste of time and money to try and hatch time and time again to flush out all of those selfish talents and increase the pet's stats in order to have a GOOD level 48 pet that's worth using.

This is just my opinion, so please, none of that, "you're a noob, those pets are actually really good."

With 4 Legendaries.... and I have yet to use any of the level 48 pets, I have a pretty solid argument.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
and I have yet to use any of the level 48 pets

Um, saying that means your arguement is now biased.

Also, every one of the 48 pets comes with pip o' plenty (or that other pip spell) health gift, most have mana gift, and stats taht increase your school attack, accuracy, or defense. And some of the pets have nice little additions as well (Satyr having Spirtely).

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
Oh, goodness. Another PVP whiner...

How many times do I have to restate on this message board that there is MORE to W101 than PVP?

Serious questers like me see the level 48 pets as a free blessing. Those pets give boosted item cards that really help in combat.

I'm a Legendary, for Bartleby's sake, and I'm still loving my Helephant pet!

And I personally think that pining for good talents is a waste of time. Level 48 pets get their much-needed skills as BABIES! Can you say that about Brown Spider, Inferno Salamander, or Mustard Troll? And their spells are LAME!

Look, if you don't appreciate what school pets give to you, that's fine with you, but don't whine about it in the forums, like you're speaking for all of us. Most of us happen to like our school pets just fine.

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and PROUD owner of School Helephant Duke Penny

Survivor
Nov 12, 2010
Superwiz1560 wrote:

How many times do I have to restate on this message board that there is MORE to W101 than PVP?

Serious questers like me see the level 48 pets as a free blessing. Those pets give boosted item cards that really help in combat.

And I personally think that pining for good talents is a waste of time. Level 48 pets get their much-needed skills as BABIES! Can you say that about Brown Spider, Inferno Salamander, or Mustard Troll? And their spells are LAME!

Look, if you don't appreciate what school pets give to you, that's fine with you, but don't whine about it in the forums, like you're speaking for all of us. Most of us happen to like our school pets just fine.

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and PROUD owner of School Helephant Duke Penny

I'm actually with the OP, and i never pvp. I am currently trying to hatch a Sea Dragon with a Starfish that will eventually have Pain Giver, Spell Proof, Spritely and either Pip o'Plenty or Sure-Shot. Why? Because i can share this one pet among all my wizards for use with any spell as all these skills are multi school and they are all handy (non-selfish).

I keep my school pet in my bedroom of my house(s) because although they look great although the satyr is annoying with the dancing, they cannot possibly compete with what i will eventually hatch myself.

As for the free card, meh, just load your deck better and add a few treasure cards and you won't need it. Better yet if you got the coin, hatch your perfect pet with your school pet enough times and get the card too.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
Yes, I have level 48 pets with either Pip Boost +5% or Pip o' Plenty, which increases as it ranks up. What's the point of that when at lvl 60, my death has 104% Pip boost without the pet?

@Superwiz, I wasn't really complaining. I believe you misunderstood everything I said. I was trying to convey is that there really isn't any incentive to use the level 48 pets when you can get a Sea Dragon or Starfish etc.

I'd love to use my school pet, but what's the point when the Spinyfish, no matter what, is going to be better than my stormzilla? The Spinyfish has higher stats and no selfish talents. Whether you do pvp or not, the Spinyfish is the pet to choose. And that pet has the chance for spell proof.

I'd just like a bit more of an incentive to use my own school pet instead of hatching with other pets that have way better talents.

Also, why use my pet's card, unless it's wraith or satyr, when I can boost a regular one with gargantuan and have it be way bigger than my pet's card?

C'mon Superwiz, you can be a little more diplomatic in your responses than try to completely shut me down. Plus, it's my opinion.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2011
Hafian wrote:
Yes, I have level 48 pets with either Pip Boost +5% or Pip o' Plenty, which increases as it ranks up. What's the point of that when at lvl 60, my death has 104% Pip boost without the pet?

I'd just like a bit more of an incentive to use my own school pet instead of hatching with other pets that have way better talents.

Also, why use my pet's card, unless it's wraith or satyr, when I can boost a regular one with gargantuan and have it be way bigger than my pet's card?

C'mon Superwiz, you can be a little more diplomatic in your responses than try to completely shut me down. Plus, it's my opinion.

I must agree with Hafian on this one. I myself have a legendary sorcerer and I must say that I have very little use for y hydra. I also have over 100% power pip without it and the hydra card is useless. With sun school now, regular hydra and gargantuan is much better than the one from my pet. It would be nice to have pets which are a bit better. Or maybe add an other one with the cards at lvl 58?

Thankfully for now we have good pets such as the sea dragon that we can rely on :)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Superwiz1560 wrote:

Ok he has a point. If you have a helephant and give it to your noob fire, then it is very helpful!

Now, for the rest of the real wizards that actually play the game for each character, no, school pets lose their value at when characters reach 50 and can learn tough! From then on, most of the talents, except for pip o plenty are useless, the only talent that is ensured is pips for level 48 pets. Yet, all Celestian pets have active talents that help your wizard. Now, some mix sea Dragon with their school pet, but this would take a few tries to eliminate most of the bad talents school pets have and take up their stats high enough, but hey, to each their own. I find, that the dragonblade pets, with the sea dragon talents are the Best and Only way to go!

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
I actually don't use my 48 pet. He's just cool to have. I have nearly 40 pets now, and some I use more than others. One has spritely, and some health or mana gift, some are just fun to have around. I think the main reason to have a 48 pet is for the prestige, and I know that by looking at some pets that a wizard is at least Grandmaster; it acts sort of like a badge.
Currently I am working on leveling my Heckhound so that I can hatch with my Storm Serpent and get a ? out of it. Sorry, can't remember off the top what that combo gives.
Plus, having plenty of pets after you've completed most of your quests, if you don't plan on finishing those quests, then the pets give you something to do.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
Hafian wrote:

@Superwiz, I wasn't really complaining. I believe you misunderstood everything I said. I was trying to convey is that there really isn't any incentive to use the level 48 pets when you can get a Sea Dragon or Starfish etc.

I'd love to use my school pet, but what's the point when the Spinyfish, no matter what, is going to be better than my stormzilla? The Spinyfish has higher stats and no selfish talents. Whether you do pvp or not, the Spinyfish is the pet to choose. And that pet has the chance for spell proof.

Well, re-readng my message, and reading this one, I have to agree that I was kind of critical, which is starting to turn into a habit for me here. It wasn't my intention to completely rebute you. I just didn't agree.

And, now that I actually HAVE Gargantuan and am getting Power Pips every turn... I don't really have a good arguement, do I? :( :( :(

I think it was the pvp part of your thread that set me off. People whining about 'he's too strong! Lower the power!', or 'This isn't fair, change this card!' really make me angry. I mean, I pvp every once in a while to pass the time or wait for friends, but I can take a hard loss with dignity... I'm ranting, aren't I?

Anyway, I'm taking my humble pie in a carryout case. Sorry for barking at ya. Peace?

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
Haha, no worries. Peace is great with me. And I love pvp, all warlords. Ice is beastly, but beatable, and storm rocks with damage. Myth is still my fav.

Anyway, I really don't have much more to add to this topic, other than what I've already said, and what others have said as well.

But, school pets should be worth using, instead of an ornament running around in your zoo.

Pretty much anyone who has a sea dragon will hatch with you if you ask, so farming for one might be a waste of time.

Explorer
Mar 04, 2009
Hafian wrote:
I mean, yes, you get some sweet looking combos out of them....... but..... now the big craze is the sea dragon pet, or starfish pet, or spinyfish pets.......

What's the point of the lvl 48 pets if all we're going to do is put them in the zoo?

They don't come with good talents like Spell Proof, and I think the satyr might be the only one that comes with Spritely.... correct me if I'm wrong.

But I honestly don't remember when I bothered to level up my level class pets that I receive at level 48.

I think they're cool looking, but not really that practicable to use in the game.... like pvp. I mean, the Jellyfish pet that everyone gets from a quest is better than the wraith by a long shot.

Plus, the level 48 pets have a lot of selfish talents that are pointless.... they have low agility, so they're resists aren't that high...

It just seems to be a waste of time and money to try and hatch time and time again to flush out all of those selfish talents and increase the pet's stats in order to have a GOOD level 48 pet that's worth using.

This is just my opinion, so please, none of that, "you're a noob, those pets are actually really good."

With 4 Legendaries.... and I have yet to use any of the level 48 pets, I have a pretty solid argument.

The level 48 pets are incredibly powerful, considering that you dont need to farm or buy them. My original wraith loves to cast deathblade, which the sea dragon can not do. The look of the pets are also incredible for your school. Who wants a stupid looking... thing next to you when you could have an awesome wraith.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
I've to say that, they were made before they had celestia planned out and the updates for the new pets planned out so if you consider that:

At that point who knew there would be gargantuan that you could learn? Or you would have gear that would give you 104% power pips?

For a necromancer, the extra pet card combine with and amulet and gm robe (if you're still using it) are invaluable because at this point, 1 of our 3 most useful spells cannot take sun school damage boosts. Though it is cool to be able to cast wraith and crow at 100%.

Now, I do agree that they would be a lot more useful if they had less selfish talents. If my ancient wraith had more than pips o'plenty and 2 selfish talents, I would have used it more. I understand their purpose but they have no purpose without a useful talent to boost.

An upgrade of the level 48 pets would be nice or better yet would be a level 58 pet with some of the better neutral or improved versions of the school talents they have now.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
With me being a Myth Legendary, I always have my Orthrus equiped. My pet is Ancient and has 0 selfish talents, its all the matter of if your patient you might get what you want, its all luck of what you get from your pet. my Orthrus knows MYTHTRAP giving me a myth trap at random times, Pip o' Plenty and as I rank it up it gives me higher pip chance, right now I get 6 pip chance. My orthrus also gives Myth Proof giving me 8 myth resist, AND my pet has maxed out stats, as you see i got super lucky. Level 48 spell pets aren't useless, but there are better pets out there. Plus Sea Dragon gives Spritely at Ancient which is a bummer, and even when it learns it it rarely uses it. the other pets I dont know about because never have used them, but if you just get the right patience you will get what you want half of the time. Valdus GiantSmith, Level 60 Legendary Conjurer at your service.