Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does This Bother Anyone Else?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
It absolutely annoys me when I read a post and someone says this:

"Well if you add this and that, the spell should do great damage."

Yeah...cuz that's what charms and wards do! If you add them, they make attacks stronger. That's basic Wizard101 knowledge.

It especially bothers me when someone says this:

"Well if you add Gargantuan and Amplify, the spell should do great damage."

Really?! I can forgive mentioning blades and traps when talking about spell strength, but when you start talking about adding spells that are virtually impossible to get at the Bazaar and cost Training Points to own (never mind the fact that they're only available to Lvl. 52 and up), it gets a little ridiculous.

Does this annoy anyone else?

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
It doesn't bother me if a person posts asking for advice. I would ask people to post their wizards level so advice can be more specific. Spells from Celestia don't help if you are not there yet. I look at those posts as an opportunity to learn.

Megan-formerly Firefan02
Firefan02 will be my son now.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
When people say if you add "x" and "y" a spell does great damage, that instantly nulls a damage arguement for me.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
When people say if you add "x" and "y" a spell does great damage, that instantly nulls a damage arguement for me.

Exactly my point!

Defender
Dec 12, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Yeah...cuz that's what charms and wards do! If you add them, they make attacks stronger. That's basic Wizard101 knowledge.

Really?! I can forgive mentioning blades and traps when talking about spell strength, but when you start talking about adding spells that are virtually impossible to get at the Bazaar and cost Training Points to own (never mind the fact that they're only available to Lvl. 52 and up), it gets a little ridiculous.

It's just advice. It's pretty helpful. Just cause you know, it doesn't mean that other people do.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It's just advice. It's pretty helpful. Just cause you know, it doesn't mean that other people do.

Saying things that are obvious or just plain ridiculous isn't advice.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Angelocean wrote:

Exactly my point!

How does that nullify any arguments? Not being rude, just asking a real question. It's nothing more than one player giving another some advice on how to boost their attack even more. Each spell does the base damage that it does, and some are higher than others. It seems to me that you're likely less bothered by the advice than you are by the idea that you can't use these tactics yet. The fact is, you can use these tactics...or something very close to it. I know my Life Wizard uses this tactic, and he started well before he got to Celestia.

Even if you can't use Gargantuan (250 pt base damage boost), you can still use spells like Strong (100), Giant (125), and Monstrous (175). You'll simply have to use the treasure card version of the card as opposed to the Sun school version you can learn in Celestia. It costs a fair amount of gold, but you should be getting a lot of gear to sell at the bazaar. Of course, make sure you buy the gear you need first, and these cards only if you have gold left over.

I started out using Strong, and as I got to more advanced areas with tougher enemies I moved up to Monstrous. Add a Monstrous card to a Centaur and it will hit with a minimum base damage of 690. That's 40 more than Stormzilla. Both Strong and Monstrous can be found at the bazaar. Sometimes there aren't any in stock, and sometimes there's a nice supply. So, when you see a nice supply of them (they're myth cards for those who don't know) stock up. It's as simple as that. Oh, and when you do get to Celestia, the Archivist in the District of the Stars has an unlimited supply of Monstrous and Gargantuan cards. Gargantuan cards are level restricted to level 58 wizards and up, but Monstrous isn't level restricted. I don't remember amplify having a level restriction, but they aren't always to be found in the bazaar, and when they are it's typically in small numbers. Personally, I put both Monstrous cards and pre-made enchanted attack cards in my sideboard. It gives you great flexibility, as you can boost the cards already in your deck as needed, or you can grab an attack card from your sideboard if your deck isn't cooperating with you at the moment. This tactic works great for everything but the life stealing attacks in the death school. Those attacks can't be boosted by cards like Monstrous.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
There's a myriad of ways to add to an attack's damage. However, if people want to complain when others suggest using damage-boosting cards, then they might as well complain about having to buy gear with better stats while they're at it.

Why not complain that most people will laugh at you if you don't train the Elemental Blade/Trap or Spirit Blade/Trap spells in Krokotopia? Or that people will think you're silly for only using spells of a secondary school?

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
its absurd because whatever changes you make to the damage of a spell doesnt increase the base damage. locust swarm might do fine if you add blades and gargatuan or whatever...but storm shark will do much better with the same modifications. Storm shark is simply a better spell that does a lot more damage. SO its totally irrelevant is you struggle to make locust swarm more powerful than storm shark via modifications. Its still just a weaker spell, end of story. People who make such strange arguments are overcomplcated what should be a painfully obvious thing: the comparison of spell damage on the spell.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Bookshelvings wrote:
There's a myriad of ways to add to an attack's damage. However, if people want to complain when others suggest using damage-boosting cards, then they might as well complain about having to buy gear with better stats while they're at it.

Why not complain that most people will laugh at you if you don't train the Elemental Blade/Trap or Spirit Blade/Trap spells in Krokotopia? Or that people will think you're silly for only using spells of a secondary school?

Why not?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
fiveos wrote:
its absurd because whatever changes you make to the damage of a spell doesnt increase the base damage. locust swarm might do fine if you add blades and gargatuan or whatever...but storm shark will do much better with the same modifications. Storm shark is simply a better spell that does a lot more damage. SO its totally irrelevant is you struggle to make locust swarm more powerful than storm shark via modifications. Its still just a weaker spell, end of story. People who make such strange arguments are overcomplcated what should be a painfully obvious thing: the comparison of spell damage on the spell.

Exactly my point! Add-ons are just that: add-ons. They do nothing for the base damage of the spell.

Survivor
Nov 01, 2010
The only thing that really bothers me is when people play and in their deck they have NONE of the following:

1. shields
2. pixies
3. blades or traps
and...
4. level 1 and 5 spells when they are level 40+

as a life wizard, i love healing people. but when i have to save people AND come kill their mobs for them simply because they still don't know how to play the game even after 40 levels...well that earns them a boot off my friends list.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
fiveos wrote:

Exactly my point! Add-ons are just that: add-ons. They do nothing for the base damage of the spell.

Ok. AkihiroHattori5, NO, I don't have a problem with others asking advice on how to make their spells work better, but I do agree with mom2mykidszcrcj. I would help if the player would post their wizard level so that the advice would be more of a benefit to them.

There are new players joining this game everyday. If I can help them or advise them on how to make a spell work better for them, then I will do what I can.

ADD-ONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? They are enhancements. Would you be playing this game if your computer did not have certain ADD-ONS? (ENHANCEMENTS)
Same thing. There are a lot of things you can't do without those add-ons on your computer.

If you want to complain about something, then make it about something that is a bug in the game or that would be more beneficial to the game rather than the fact that someone is asking or giving advice. New players don't just automatically know what those of us that have been playing for a while have learned from others. BY ASKING and getting ADVICE on what to use to make the spells better.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
Ok. AkihiroHattori5, NO, I don't have a problem with others asking advice on how to make their spells work better, but I do agree with mom2mykidszcrcj. I would help if the player would post their wizard level so that the advice would be more of a benefit to them.

There are new players joining this game everyday. If I can help them or advise them on how to make a spell work better for them, then I will do what I can.

ADD-ONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? They are enhancements. Would you be playing this game if your computer did not have certain ADD-ONS? (ENHANCEMENTS)
Same thing. There are a lot of things you can't do without those add-ons on your computer.

If you want to complain about something, then make it about something that is a bug in the game or that would be more beneficial to the game rather than the fact that someone is asking or giving advice. New players don't just automatically know what those of us that have been playing for a while have learned from others. BY ASKING and getting ADVICE on what to use to make the spells better.

I have no problem with people asking how to make their attacks better (ex: making them more effective against the same school, making them more accurate, making them go critical more often, etc.) and others giving advice based on that. What annoys me is when "advice" turns into obvious common knowledge. Everyone knows what a Moon spell (Tough, Keen Eyes, etc.), or a blade, or a trap does because not only is it spelled out on the card, but their names suggest their function. Helping others is fine; just don't insult their intelligence. I'm sorry if me calling enchantments offended you; I couldn't think of the word, so I just said 'add-ons'. I didn't mean anything by it. Now if you'd direct your attention to the title of this thread, you'd see it's "Does This Bother Anyone Else?" It obviously doesn't bother you, so why are you commenting? I didn't specifically ask you to.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Now if you'd direct your attention to the title of this thread, you'd see it's "Does This Bother Anyone Else?" It obviously doesn't bother you, so why are you commenting? I didn't specifically ask you to.

How do you expect people to tell you whether or not it bothers them if they don't comment? Or were we only supposed to answer if it does bother us?

To answer the original post, no it doesn't bother me, as long as the information is correct. People have different levels of understanding. What's obvious to one may not be obvious to another.

Some spells may be hard to get or expensive to purchase cards for, but it may still be of interest to some to know how much damage they can cause by a spell if it's maxed out with every enhancement possible, plus possibly a "Critical" hit.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Thank you colagada!

I have some younger wizard friends that I have "traded" amplify and fortify cards to since I had the actual spells. And I had to explain how these benefit them, and their uses.

Not everyone is familiar with the astral enhancements - so I never assume anything myself.

PS - it obviously doesn't bother me either.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
colagada wrote:
How do you expect people to tell you whether or not it bothers them if they don't comment? Or were we only supposed to answer if it does bother us?

To answer the original post, no it doesn't bother me, as long as the information is correct. People have different levels of understanding. What's obvious to one may not be obvious to another.

Some spells may be hard to get or expensive to purchase cards for, but it may still be of interest to some to know how much damage they can cause by a spell if it's maxed out with every enhancement possible, plus possibly a "Critical" hit.

Wow, I worded that terribly, didn't I? I was talking about the fact that goldendragon18 basically said my thread was a waste of space in the Forum. What I was trying to get across is if they really thought my post brought absolutely nothing to the Forum, then why did they waste their time responding? Now what I don't get is why I'm targeted and not people posting threads just to say they're back from wherever they were and what's new or people who ask for outrageous and absurd changes to be made to Wizard101, but I digress. Although I realize everyone has different levels of understanding, there are some things that are just so obvious that the only way you could possibly not understand them is if you're blind. To me the function of some charms and wards are obvious, which is why when someone says, "Well if you add this and that, the spell should be strong," I'm left feeling a little annoyed and thinking, Yeah...and the sky is blue, but I didn't need you to tell me that either. The reason for this entire thread was because I was wondering if anyone else thought the same way so that when I think that I don't feel like as much of a jerk.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Well I don't think you're a jerk, and you shouldn't feel like it - lol. I know what you mean about information seeming obvious and repititious. But unless someone asks in detail, you don't know where they are coming from and they will get general answers... "I'm a level 35 fire - what's the best treasure card combination for the highest fire hit possible?" - VS a question like - "What can I do to have a better attack?" All depends on the poster...

Defender
Dec 12, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It wouldn't be obvious if the person being told it just started playing Wizard101!

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It wouldn't be obvious if the person being told it just started playing Wizard101!

You have a point. I think AkihiroHattori is overreacting.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

AkihiroHattori, You are NOT overreacting. I completely understand where you are coming from. My husband and I actually talked about this a bit last night and he agrees with you too.
To the Nay-sayers, pretend you are a new player. Now pretend you are in Marleybone, about to go into the museum. You need help, ask around and find a Grand or a Legend that can/will help you. They are obviously much higher ranked than you, so do you tell them what to use, and that if they add this or that the hit will be bigger?????? I'd hope not because I'd hope you have some common sense. They already know that.

In my opinion, the Legends specifically should be teachers. You've beaten the game, why not help someone lower? I say and mean HELP. Don't take over, be a backup. You can still farm bosses and such. Just help someone in the area you want to farm, or park yourself outside and help all comers... My point is, no matter where you are in the game you should teach. Explain why you do the things you do. When the new player says something like what started this thread, you explain why you can't/ won't do what they are telling you to do. Example- "If you put up a blade you'll hit bigger." Reply- "Yes, but I don't need a blade, my boost is big enough."
This will lead to talk about gear, pets, cards, etc... in other words... You are educating the new guy/girl.

To sum it all up, new guys.. please don't tell us how to play, but if you must, be nice about it. Legends/Grands.... Please teach and explain. W101 would be so much more awesome if we all got along.

Last minute flashbulb idea. Maybe few Legends could get together and hold classes?? Stuff like Gear 101 , Pets 101 and Battle strategies????

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dragonpfyre219 wrote:
AkihiroHattori, You are NOT overreacting. I completely understand where you are coming from. My husband and I actually talked about this a bit last night and he agrees with you too.
To the Nay-sayers, pretend you are a new player. Now pretend you are in Marleybone, about to go into the museum. You need help, ask around and find a Grand or a Legend that can/will help you. They are obviously much higher ranked than you, so do you tell them what to use, and that if they add this or that the hit will be bigger?????? I'd hope not because I'd hope you have some common sense. They already know that.

In my opinion, the Legends specifically should be teachers. You've beaten the game, why not help someone lower? I say and mean HELP. Don't take over, be a backup. You can still farm bosses and such. Just help someone in the area you want to farm, or park yourself outside and help all comers... My point is, no matter where you are in the game you should teach. Explain why you do the things you do. When the new player says something like what started this thread, you explain why you can't/ won't do what they are telling you to do. Example- "If you put up a blade you'll hit bigger." Reply- "Yes, but I don't need a blade, my boost is big enough."
This will lead to talk about gear, pets, cards, etc... in other words... You are educating the new guy/girl.

To sum it all up, new guys.. please don't tell us how to play, but if you must, be nice about it. Legends/Grands.... Please teach and explain. W101 would be so much more awesome if we all got along.

Last minute flashbulb idea. Maybe few Legends could get together and hold classes?? Stuff like Gear 101 , Pets 101 and Battle strategies????

Here's an idea. It'd be cool if you could get your educator's license in the game as an optional quest. Once you finish the quest, you get the gold title of Scholar (not 'Professor'; that should be reserved for the actual Professors in the game) which would signal other lower level wizards to come to you with questions. Of course, you can display and hide your Scholar status whenever you see fit and you'll also get a set of clothes only available by getting an educator's license. The classes idea...I'm not sure if a lot of wizards would take advantage of that.

Survivor
May 29, 2009
On topic: I always lol when I see "blade and wards!! " as an answer but no it doesn't bother me. I roll my eyes and try to give them questioner a bit more of a detailed answer.

fiveos wrote:
It's absurd. Whatever changes you make to the damage of a spell doesn't increase the base damage. Locust swarm might do fine if you add blades and gargatuan or whatever...but storm shark will do much better with the same modifications. Storm shark is simply a better spell that does a lot more damage. SO it's totally irrelevant if you struggle to make locust swarm more powerful than storm shark via modifications. It's still just a weaker spell, end of story. People who make such strange arguments are over-complicating what should be a painfully obvious thing: the comparison of spell damage on the spell.

This is like saying "Storm is simply stronger, and everyone should just be storm". Yes Storm IS a strong class, but it has the highest fizzle rate. You have to have gear that adds to your precision as well as everything else. Life and ice have lower base damage but they rarely fizzle.

There are a LOT of factors that can play into the damage of a spell. (not the base damage) Type of mob you are facing, gear you are wearing, auras, charms, wards, treasure enhancements, AND whether or not it successfully casts. New players sometimes don't know all their options to enhance their spell damage as well as increase their survivability.

It is a matter of personal preference, and basic game play knowledge. Storm shark does 0 damage if it fizzles, so why not use a higher accuracy boosted spell that power pips can count for?

Survivor
Jul 25, 2009
dragonpfyre219 wrote:
catboy2197 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Stalactite wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I know that when I first started, I could have used Gear 101! I never even found out that robes gave magical qualities until a higher level friend told me (he was about lvl. 15 at the time, now he's level 50). My little brother sure could use Battle Strategies, and so could another person I know(in game first name Lauren). I have another class idea, Spell Card 101! You could teach lower levels about the symbols on spell cards (Who even remembers what Diego the Duelmaster said?) I used to think that the accuracy symbol meant all or tie-die, I could never decide which one . Gods, I didn't know anything then, even after a year.
-Scarlet SilverWeaver
Grandmaster Theurgist
lvl. 57