Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New player in need of some advice....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 24, 2011
I just started this week. I am a necromancer. I have a few questions as to what I should do.

1. What kinda pet should I get (crowns are no problem)
2. Should I focus on death spells only or go other routes?
3. The pets in general should I be leveling mine, I have the flying pig but does not seem to do much other then toss me a random card now and again.
4. What is the level cap?
5. Anything else a new player should know about?

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
1. If you get the 40$ gift card definately raise that pet (it's a Fierce Hound). If you don't get that card, for a crowns pet get the Ianthine Spectre. For a non-crowns pet Wraith once you reach level 48.

2. You get death spells for free so no training points on them needed, this question however is entirely up to which school you seem to like most as a secondary.

3. Don't waste time training pets with low pedigree like that flying pig (official name is piggle). Low pedigree I say is less then 40ish.

4. At them moment, level 60.

5.Don't waste your training points unless you are 150% sure you like what it's being spent on. It costs crowns to buy back training points.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1. You would want a pet with a high pedigree. The higher the pedigree the better chance they will have good talents. The number before the parenthesis is the pedigree. At this time the Sea Dragon has the highest pedigree. It also has a chance to manifest Spritely (may cast sprite).

2. As you gain levels, and start getting power pips (pips that count double toward your school), casting out of school spells become more difficult and often a waste of pips. Gear gives boosts to your school, so you do more damage staying within your school. Now, here is where many people will say train in opposite school. That I would have to disagree. Especially for death. Your attacks heal, so therefore life spells really aren't that necessary. And when fighting Death, simply used a prism. Death enemies don't shield against Life, making using prisms much easier for that school. Training in Ice up to tower shield is nice. With all my wizards, I have trained in Ice to tower.

3. I have several wizards 2 of them are gardeners and 3 are pet trainers. I train a pet to epic unless they manifest two selfish talents (the ones that only increase their stats). It is a long drawn out process, and is best to do with a pet with higher pedigree.

4. At this time the level cap is 60.

5. I am sure you will run across many things that you have questions about. If so simply ask someone in game or on the forums. There are many FRIENDLY people in game that do not mind helping. If you happen to run across one of the not so friendly people that roam around, and they call you a NOOB, just simply ask your self if the opinion of someone you don't know and possible don't want to know really matters to you.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
For your first question, if your still in Wizard City, a popular cheap pet for only gold is Dragon, Firecat, and Piggle. A drop lots of players like is Blue Ghost or Sprite. One pet is from a quest given by Penny, a cyclops. A popular crown pet is Storm Hound, mainly for Storm, because of boost.

Your second question, if your main school is Death, then you have to. If it's not, then try to work your way up to feint. If you want Wraith, it will cost a lot, useless really, unless you do want it. (P.S. You wont get DeathBlade or DeathTrap, Scarecrow and Skeletal Dragon either, those are only for Death school only. There are other Death Only spells like Beguile.)

Your third question, simple. If you want a pet to boost your attack, then look for a pet. For example if you are Fire School, then get Fire Snake, or Helephant. School pets. Some pets give cards and boost.

Your fourth question is level 60. Though perhaps this Summer, it will be raised to 80? But the cap is currently 60.

Your final question is what I wanted to know when I was only a novice.
Power Pips are worth two. Say your main school of focus is myth, Troll cost 2 pips, you usually start out with one pip, but as you level, you will gain power pip chances. So say your a level 5 and you only get one pip, but say you have a power pip, you can use Troll. This is confusing at first, but as you progress you'll learn. One more thing. Critical Rating. Something to worry about once you reach level 50. Critical will boost your attack. Critical Block is a chance to block Critical. Say your Storm, you will Critical more than any other school with Critical Gear. Though I can't really explain, there is a forum for it.

Hope this helps.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I found this thread really interesting because returning from half a year break brings up a lot of questions for me. Especially concerning pets.

The higher the pet's pedigree, the easier it is to win derbies? I assume so, not sure on that. I am sure it lies on how well the player races the pet. I would hate to think that pedigree would be a main factor in being able to win derbies, since so many awesome looking pets are of a lower level pedigree.

I am a Myth wizard. If I keep a Myth pet (Troll, Cyclops, etc) and it will boost my attack power? I have a teen black cat and so far he has nothing except giving me a black cat card and being able to use "Oil Slick" in a derby. He does give me additional +12 health.

I appreciate all your help.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I found this thread really interesting because returning from half a year break brings up a lot of questions for me. Especially concerning pets.

The higher the pet's pedigree, the easier it is to win derbies? I assume so, not sure on that. I am sure it lies on how well the player races the pet. I would hate to think that pedigree would be a main factor in being able to win derbies, since so many awesome looking pets are of a lower level pedigree.

I am a Myth wizard. If I keep a Myth pet (Troll, Cyclops, etc) and it will boost my attack power? I have a teen black cat and so far he has nothing except giving me a black cat card and being able to use "Oil Slick" in a derby. He does give me additional +12 health.

I appreciate all your help.

The pedigree determines the talents and abilities the pet manifests. The higher the pedigree, the more ultra-rare and epic talents the pet may manifest. Those are the talents that are more powerful than the rare or uncommon ones. One column is the talents used in duels that effect you. The other column is for pet derby. As you train your pet and increase his stats (strength, intelligence, agility, will, and power) the boosts it gives will increase. For example...your black cat gives you +12 health now, but if you increase the stats that govern health, that boost will increase. I am not sure what the max amount is. I do know I have a pet that gives me +120 health. This also works with the other boosts such as mana, accuracy, power pips, damage, and resists.

I do hope this helps. I sometimes have difficultly explaining things in writing.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
I pesonaly don't think you should focus too much on pets. You will eventually get a piggle and a cyclopes for one of your quests in Wizard City. Then you will probaly get a pet in a dungen later. Otherwise......I LOVE MANDER PETS!!!!!!!! If you are Death I would suggest having a secondary school of Fire. You should focus on death more though. Don't focus all on training your pets but do it in your free time. The highest level used to be level 50 but it is now level 60. As a new wizard you should know that all schools have weaknesses and advantages to be a worthy oponnent you must know the strenghs and weaknesses of every school:
Storm: Strong attack. Weak defense.
Fire: Strong Hanging spells. Weak attack. (accept Helephant)
Ice: Strong defense. Weak attack.
Life:Strong healing spells. Weak attack.
Death: Can take life from his oponnent. Weak attacks.
Myth: Strong minions. Weak attack.
Balance: Draws bits and peices from all schools. It has all disadvantages and all stregnhes. (I'm Balance)

Defender
Nov 20, 2010
Early on in the game, its not super important to get a high quality pet (I don't think).

You definetly need a secondary school, because throughout the game you will get your school's spells for free.

I'm not a pro yet, so that's about all the advice I can give.

Rachel RavenTalon, Level 34 Myth

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009

I just started this week. I am a necromancer. I have a few questions as to what I should do.

Hello and welcome to Ravenwood!

I have a Magus necromancer and several other grandmasters. Here is my advice that you can take into consideration.

1. What kinda pet should I get (crowns are no problem)

The best pets vary according to what you plan to do with them. If you want help in battles, try to find pets that boost your health, damage, accuracy or defenses. If you want to focus on racing, then you will need to look for pets that have the most useful racing talents and high stats like power, strength and will. Either way, pets with a high pedigree (level 50 or higher) will generally give you better talents.

2. Should I focus on death spells only or go other routes?

In the first two worlds, having a second school can help you quite a lot. I found that my necromancer really needed an "attack everyone" spell, so I'd suggest you train in myth, ice, balance or fire as a second school. Myth has the advantage of working with your "Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap." (More on this below.) Ice provides excellent shields against fire and storm, plus the Tower Shield that resists everything by 50%. Balance provides manipulation spells like Weakness, plus the highly useful Spectral Blast. Fire has the Fire Elf, an early damage-over-time spell that can help you later against Ice enemies, plus one of the strongest "attack everyone" spells that anyone can train in. Personally, I think Ice or Myth would serve you best as a second school.

After you pass Krokotopia around level 25-30, you won't be using the second school much, so it may not be worth it to train beyond level 24 in your second school. Also, there are "Spirit Blade" and "Spirit Trap" spells available to you around level 20 & 25 in Krokotopia from Niles, the Balance tree. These will help boost your death spells and I highly recommend you save at least two training points for these.

Furthermore, if you make it to level 50, there are additional secondary schools in Celestia. It will serve you well to keep back at least 4 or 5 training points to use in one of the Astral schools.

3. The pets in general should I be leveling mine, I have the flying pig but does not seem to do much other then toss me a random card now and again.

Pets are tedious and costly to train and level up. I would suggest you save your effort for high pedigree pets that you will begin winning as you level up. Crowns pets are often a good choice as well. The Ianthine Spectere, for example, gives you high quality death stats plus the death minion (potentially long before you earn the spell at ~level 30). Other excellent death pets can be found in drops. I've gotten many miles out of my Krokomummy dropped in Krokotopia because it boosted my accuracy, damage and death defense.

4. What is the level cap?

At the moment, it is 60 (Legendary). This may change in the next year if/when an new world comes out.

5. Anything else a new player should know about?

A. Some dungeons and side quests will be too difficult for you when you first get them. If you find yourself unable to finish a quest, you can either ask for help or find someone to work with; you can purchase a hired wizard for crowns; or you can put that quest aside while you level up, and try it again later when you're a bit stronger.

B. Some of the best clothing you can wear is school-specific clothing dropped by bosses. These clothes will boost your health, power pip chances, damage, and defense. If you have the time, Google where to find the best death clothes for your level and start farming (beating the same boss or dungeon over and over until you get the clothes you need). Sell the rest for cash. :-D You will get the best price for selling most clothing and other items at the Bazaar.

C. If you plan to do any crafting at all, start gardening at least Dandelions, because they will give you reagents that you will need later on for crafting. Also, if you see any reagents lying around (mistwood, cattails, stone blocks, parchment, ore, mandrake, etc) be sure to pick them up! Every time. It will help you in crafting later.

D. Your Sacrifice spell will work with the healing charms you can get from the Troll Ear pendant. I found that I could heal enormously by throwing up a +40% heal charm, a -70% death shield and then Sacrifice. If I could time all that with a weakness that an enemy cast on me, then I'd only take about 50 damage and earn back 1000 health!

Good luck and enjoy playing your necromancer!

Kestral LifeHunter - Level 37 Necromancer

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
In reply to the pet questions/comments.

In my experience, pedigree score has little to do wiht how they perform. On one character I have a Lifeclops (pedigree scorein the 30's I think) and he is an ancient, the character herself has a Pet Sergeant rating. Another character has a Storm Salamander (pedigree score again in the 30's i think) and again, ancient. This character is a Pet Veteran.

Pedigree score is a good base to work from, but any pet can be good. It all depends on what you do with it.

Oh, I also have a Death Legend, and the only pet she ever needed was Wraith. Maximus (the Wraith) is Epic, gives me a total of 9% power pips, 6% death force and I don't recall percentage, but he also boosts Death resist.

It;s all in what you do with them.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I would say go sea serpant. Train it with mega snack pack cards....if, and only if, crowns are no issue.

Training points-The classic death school secondary is life and ice...Ice will provide towers (50% defense) and shields vs storm & fire, while life will allow emergency healing and healing of teammates. Note, life can also use the spirit blade you get at level 25.

Wand-Get a 0-pip blast wand as soon as you can, it is 100% cast, and does reasonable damage. Again, if crowns are no issue, buy the crown staff at low levels, and the maul at higher levels as they provide extra pips.

I like clothes with multi-school protection and pip boosting at lower levels. Death has enough damage boosters that a few %extra damage from clothes isn't really important.

Minion spell at level 28, but you have to get to Chelesa in MB first. Skip some of the side quests in Krok so that you can get to Freddy when you need to get your level 28 spell. You can always go back and do the side quests.

Prisms- You will get at level 12, but you will need them on the questline to get them, so buy a few as treasure cards, makes your life much easier.

As a note, Life puts up a death shield at the drop of a hat, so be prepared to get rid of those pesky shields early.

The other posts (Hannah et al.) give good advice...as does Wizard 101 Central guides (cheats).