Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Who goes first?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 22, 2010
So much of my dueling success seems to be based on who goes first... especially as a Storm wizard. If I go first versus bosses, I can quickly blow away a minion or the boss and then slug it out with who is left. If the boss goes first, then I have to just hope I survive the beating I know I will take... which is sometimes quite difficult.

So, does anyone know how the game determines who goes first? Is it random? Can I just flee and come back to a boss and expect a different result? Thanks for your help.

Delver
May 26, 2009
Going first is completely random. If you aren't going first during a boss fight and will die if you don't, then just log out, log back in, and you are outside the boss' lair. You may have to do this multiple times until you go first. I do this frequently

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Survivor
Nov 12, 2010
As i see it the problem with who goes first lies in the ability for both you and your opponent to have extra pips at the beginning of the battle (this only gets worse in the higher spiral worlds). These extra pips allow you, or them, to cast much higher than normal spell cards at the beginning round than would be possible in later rounds.

Enough of the obvious, now on to what could be a possible solution. Why not have the game keep track of the round you are in within the fight and only allow you to cast a pip appropriate spell at that level. For example in round one, regardless of if you went first, you could only cast 0 up to 2 pip spells (taking into account power pips). Round two would include 4 and under pip spells. After say the fifth round you could cast anything in your hand. Thus even if you start the battle with 3 power pips you (or your opponent) would still be limited in what could be cast. Thus you would never have to fend off a stormzilla or a helephant before you even get a chance to shield (in you were lucky enough to get one that is).

This could be argued that fights would take overlong by some, or that the minions would last to long but it would also level the playing field IMHO.

Just an idea i had, feel free to pick it apart 8) .