Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why did fight drops change?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 08, 2008
I've been doing random fights, both street and boss/dungeon, all over DS and GH for the past couple of weeks, saving up to by the Watchtower Hall recipe.

Depending on the fight, for drops per battle I was generally getting 1-2 clothing, gold, and either a snack or reagent, or sometimes both. I usually completed around 12 battles by the end of the night, and on average my total loot would sell for about 8-12k.

This past week, however, I've been doing the exact same thing... same amount of time, yet the drops are significantly decreased. I only receive a clothing item about 50% of the time, and then I also get gold and either a reagent or snack. Completing the same number of fights per night, this past week I've been lucky to net 3k by the end of the night. And this has been night after night, so it's not just a night of bad luck.

It's very frustrating. Not everyone can devote all day every day to playing. In fact, most players (especially children) probably aren't even able to spend even as much as 2-3 hours per day playing. When you price rare items so high--in the 50-100k range, it is hard enough to save up for making only 10k per login at best. But knocking it down to less makes saving up for things too difficult.

I'm sure the goal is to both keep people playing and to hopefully get people to buy crowns and exchange them for gold, but for those of us who are dedicated players and aren't going anywhere--and who already spend ludicrous amounts of money on crowns and aren't buying more--it's a little unfair. :(

Hoping that things will go back to the way they were,

Elo

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
elorajules wrote:
Hoping that things will go back to the way they were,

Elo

Things have not changed.

The drops are NOT, imho, based so much on a percentage chance of killing an NPC and collecting a specific reward as EVERYONE appears to "assume" in these forums.

The drops, since Celestia went live anyway, specifically, since the "balancing" upgrade that also occurred on or about the same time as the Celestia upgrade, ... are MORE affected by how many OTHER players are on the same server WITH you than the "farming percentage" mentioned above.

To "re-obtain" the drop harvests you were previously enjoying, I have found it necessary to realm hop until the loot re-appears. Normally, this USED to mean finding a "perfect" server and "farming" there. Now, there are very few "perfect servers" available during prime time ... so finding a server with little competition for farmed resources is ... not as easy ... as it was.

Try this method ... it is working for me.

Schedule "farming" sessions after prime time if possible. After midnight and before 0600 usually has more "perfect" servers to use and competition for the drops is minimized. If this is not possible ...

Take your character to the area you wish to farm and REGARDLESS of stated server status, ie; crowded, full, normal, perfect, etc. etc. ... realm hop until the "lag" for that area is the best you can find. This usually implies lack of activity in the area and THAT implies less competition for dropped resources.

Spending 30 minutes finding such a place and 30-45 minutes farming it, is MORE productive than spending 120 minutes in a crowded area, collecting little or nothing for your work.

If I see more than 2-3 other people in the same area I am farming, I move until I "get lonely" ... ;)