Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Update Regarding 18+ Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 26, 2010
Thank you so much Kingisle, most games I play have this open chat kinda thing, and people abuse it, now they will have to be loyal and buy a sub or crowns to keep the feature

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
efbfroggy10 wrote:
KI,

I did not have a problem with the change in the first place... I actually liked it. There are so many kids out there that have open chat because there parent or grandparents subscribed one, than they abuse the privilege by cussing or trying to do something like online dating. I have recently started to report pretty much EVERY single person i just see randomly cussing, it upsets me more than it used to. As all of you have seen almost everyone has been complaining and some people even quit due to all the complainers, thats just sad. Text chat is fine, it improves spelling for teens there is no problem to that. Thx for listening to players feedback though. If i post my characters name I would probably loose a bunch of names so i am gonna list this post a anonymous.

-Anonymous author

ya i think you should leave it as Anonymous. Also you get people that just follow people and annoy them by any means they can for fun. Than when people get anoid and curse at them they get reported. if anybody should get reported it is the people who annoys people out of there way for fun that should get reported.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Ok guys, I think KI did their best to keep both sides happy. People 18+ can keep their chat. Using a Credit card is safest and honrable way to prove that you are 18+ (remind me to get open chat now lol). People compaining about kids having open chat....seriously that isnt an issue you should be addressing to KI, that's more of a parents issue! KI does their best to filter profanity...but we all know it's impossible to clear the world of all profanity uses. Parents whom give their under 18 kids open chat, and they child abuses it...that' not KI's fault.

PS. Is there any other way what so ever, to veryfi over 18+? cause i dont usually use my credit card for game...though might have to now. like a bank account or something?

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
There have been a lot of lengthy and off topic responces, but all of this is fine if your covering your bases. My summary of your responce is that you are not covering your bases.

This decision is fine as long as you recognize an age verification service that doesn't require someone to make a credit card purchase from KI to prove their age.

There are millions of people that want their private information kept private and you will never force any segment of people into being comfortable with putting financial information over a public environment, nor is it ethical to try to do so.

This option seems obvious given just a minute of thought on the topic. By not providing this avenue for existing and potential customers and then using words after the fact seems that your trying to explain it away; and comes off like a smoke screen.

ps. There is no law on any book in the United States of America that requires someone to have a credit card for proof of identity. That's because the credit system is a choice system, and many people choose not to take part in it. This decision is simply how you are choosing to satisfy the legal identity requirements, and saying "the law is making you buy from us online" is transparent to most adults. Ya know, the people that are footing the bills ;)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Since I am a credit card subscriber and many many years over 18, I did not have any problems during this issue with open chat. But I do have a couple of friends (adults) that are crowns players and did have some trouble with it. I just hope they come back and play.

The one place in the game that I have seen a lot of language abuse is from the Commons all the way tThrough Olde Towne. As one player has already stated, the kids do find a way around the filters and very quickly.

Just a few days ago, I had one younger player asking me for my password and user ID. When I told him that was not going to happen, he began getting very rude and calling me names. The names don't necessarily bother me, I just ignore them but asking for player information got him REPORTED immediately.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
I don't understand this. OK I can see about little kids not wanting them to here the words of adults. But not every adult has a credit card if you expect your adults to stay on your game why are you hitting us with another bill to pay. This is not fare we put our ages up and we parents should and i mean shoulder keep a eye out to see what there kids are doing on the computer. The adults that don't have children they just want a fun game to play they should not be stuck with some chat they really don't want. If wow can do this why cant you. There is no difference and people that are adults don't need to pay more just to talk, I am tired of using words that don't make sense. I tried the other day to type ice cream and it wont even let me. that's ridiculous. There is no reason to have this kind of filter on. you can put a filter on that you cant swear but food groups are not aloud what the heck people what is this game coming to. If i have to pay every to months for a site that wont let me type for a game to be played then me and my adult friends will go to wow. I can see why you got the bronze and wow still has the gold. give me a break.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
augy113 wrote:
I don't understand this. OK I can see about little kids not wanting them to here the words of adults. But not every adult has a credit card if you expect your adults to stay on your game why are you hitting us with another bill to pay. This is not fare we put our ages up and we parents should and i mean shoulder keep a eye out to see what there kids are doing on the computer. The adults that don't have children they just want a fun game to play they should not be stuck with some chat they really don't want. If wow can do this why cant you. There is no difference and people that are adults don't need to pay more just to talk, I am tired of using words that don't make sense. I tried the other day to type ice cream and it wont even let me. that's ridiculous. There is no reason to have this kind of filter on. you can put a filter on that you cant swear but food groups are not aloud what the heck people what is this game coming to. If i have to pay every to months for a site that wont let me type for a game to be played then me and my adult friends will go to wow. I can see why you got the bronze and wow still has the gold. give me a break.

Ya, i agree, I mean, if this is supposed to be a learning environment, why do kids have to say tree instead of three, or for instead of four, i mean if kids think that you spell the number four as for, that's an F in the school book.
I can see why KI does not want them to tell people their address, but still...
you cant even tell other people your level without taking the time to go into menu chat and you cant at all in a battle unless you say something like "I am level for ty ate" Is it just me, or is that stuped, or should i say "stew pet".

Belgrim GiantTalon~level 49 death~Stay on my good side or see why I smell bad.
Daniel SandBlood~level 15 balance~You think i'm week? ok, ill show you my other person

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
Thank you Kingsisle! I have had a tough time understanding my buddies, which kind of irritates me. Thank you so much Kingsisle, I will subscribe forever! W101 best game ever! Rock on KI!!! 8)

Survivor
May 27, 2009
hey wizard101 i brought an epic bundle card and it was awesome! :D i just want to let you know could you make another thing like that plz? :)

Survivor
Jan 20, 2011
So I would like to complement you on monitoring the chat for the kids. That is good. BUT, when the chat affects simple words like "Eleven" you may want to check your programing. And I am a subscriber that used a credit card.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks guys it means a lot that you told us this xD And dont mind the people that are frustrated, you've been doing a great job.

Sydney Boom- Grandmaster Thamaturge lvl 58
Sydney Sandcatcher- Magus Sorcerer lvl 39
Lauren Jade- Journeyman Thugerist lvl 18

Survivor
Dec 23, 2010
I would like to see a couple of levels of chat added. something appropriate for younger members, very simple and with few phrases, something with set phrases plus a little more free speech for teens perhaps, and something much less restricted for older members. This would include a filter that allows an adult to say whatever they choose, but that a child nearby, could not receive because the incoming message is filtered by the receiving person's restrictions? This way we can protect younger members from the irresponsibility of some older members?

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
Very well done KI!! I love how you fix problems almost immediantly! It is fantastic to see a game with over 15 million players that can fix problems quickly! You admitted the mistake. You have made everyone happy yet again and I know this game will not stop! I will tell friends that quit to come back FAST!
Happy Wizarding,
Sierra PearlSmith!
Level- 32 Ice wizard!!!!!

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Ty i am coming back now :) :) ty for listening to all of us who have been trying to get the chat changed you guys ROCK!

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
wanda59 wrote:
This is ridiculous that we have to pay for open chat still! You should change it to anyone over at leavst 30+ gets open chat. This disapoints me majorly.

This would make no sense to raise the age it would still need to verify your age with a credit card. You just need the card to prove your age. You have to pay to play if you want to get anywhere anyway. What would be the point of upping the age. It is intended for adults. Not having open chat doesn't stop the younger ones from putting the word blank in there to call you a name.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
mmhh15 wrote:
wanda59 wrote:
This is ridiculous that we have to pay for open chat still! You should change it to anyone over at leavst 30+ gets open chat. This disapoints me majorly.

calm down, geez they made open chat for people who pay only becuz they need to verify that they are actually 18+. KI works so hard on making this great game so quit complaining and enjoy it, how do you think the company pays their employees? the money doesnt come from no where, so dont be selfish

I agree with mmhh15, this money doesn't grow on trees, they have to make it somehow, and really, KI does work hard to make this game what it is, Yes, they did make a mistake, but they did fix it, and they try hard to help us out, they can't please everyone.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
Songbird25 wrote:
I would like to bring up a concern, that has involved the Wizard101 community. Many people playing the game are associating themselves in an inappropriate manner! I have seen most players asking, "Do you like me?" "Does anyone need a girl? a boy?" I find it disrespectful for these players to be talking to others, as if they are in a dating site. Would someone please inform this and make a change somewhere? I would really appreciate it! Considering the fact that this is a family game, I do not find it appropriate for younger children, to be associated with these conducts! I love the game, it is fun to play and I would like to make this issue known!

Thank you for your time! :)

I do agree, I go into the commons and hear this, I think that instead of doing this, find somebody you know and real life that you like, and get to know them first, and then, maybe, if its appropriate, then go for it, but that is not what Wizard101 is for.
Thank you for bringing that up!

Survivor
May 09, 2010
wanda59 wrote:

As they said, they can't debate it. Its a legal requierment. They have to.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
Hi! I am level 31 almost 32 ice wizard my wizard 101 game name is Michael Raven I am writing this to thank KINGISLE for making W101 the best 3D adventure ever love you :D

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
i think you would get lots more players if you make the chat thing free no matter what right now i think free realms is better then wizard one o one but if you make the chat thing free i think wizard one o one is better and tell every one of my freinds that wizard one oh one is way better then any web site in the history of web sites :D

Survivor
Jan 05, 2011
I would like to say that I am most definately one of those over 18 players, by a decade. I'm 28 and I absolutely love how this game was made and I also like how the chat system doesn't allow vulgar language. It's something that tells me that when my kids are old enough to play this game I don't have to worry about how people talk to them on here. However I am disappointed that you can't say certain things for example, I was asked by someone what my lvl was and instead of being able to tell them I was lvl seventeen I had to code it as save on teen. Tho I do understand that this is most likely part of a safety program that part just makes no sense.

Defender
Dec 01, 2010
it takes guts to admit you had done something wrong. takes bigger guts to make it right. I am happy to support such a great community.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2010
Couple of things to say.

Firstly, people who use the open chat need to be more responsible about their own chatter and behaviour around everyone else. It is indicative of the problems in general society today that everyone feels entitled to do as they please, regardless of the outcome or effect on others. It is Your responsiblity to behave with dignity and decency. The rest of the world does not sit with bated breath, waiting to hear the next sordid installment of your personal soap opera.

Secondly, If anyone doesn't like the product as it is for free, either stop using it, or upgrade. If I lay out money for something, it had better be better than the product that is freely available.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It's a legal issue, too. At 18, most governments recognize that the individual is an adult and responsible for his/her own actions. In the eyes of the law, those under 18 need to be protected in order to legally cover the backside of the internet site.

KingsIsle is making the right move here. There are bad adults out there who will go to great lengths to make real-life contact with minors. While it's nearly impossible to prevent it on a global scale, KingsIsle is showing that it intends to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of those who might become prey to predators.