Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Banning and Unbanning

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Hi kingsisle and other people. I want to talk about something about banning people. Now before anyone asks, I never got banned, but I know people that did. Kingsisle, I know banning means deleting accounts, But why? What if they didn't do anything wrong. For example, What if they say "We are gonna get hail outside soon" And someone thinks there cussing so they report them then a moderator thinks its cussing and ban them. Or if Mr. Lincoln was a little lazy and read half the report (No offense to Mr. Lincoln), then clicks ban. I remember reading on another thread, some dude said nothing and a big fight went on and he got muted. All I ask is that when you ban, you don't permanently delete their account, Maybe send an email to the owner of the account and tell them to show evidence that he/she didn't break any rules. If they seem like its right, then unban the account. Just an idea to help the people that were falsly accused.

Administrator
Let me assure you, we do not take banning lightly.

In lieu of banning, players are often permanently muted. (you will see this as a 10 year mute).

Account banning occurs after repeated warnings/sanctions OR in light of truly egregious violations of our Terms of Use that do not just warrant a "warning".

If the actions of the player warrant a ban, a full investigation is launched. Chat logs are scrutinized and more than a single individual weighs in on the consequences. False reports against someone do not factor into this decision.

When a player is banned, they are sent an email to the address associated with their Wizard101 account.* A copy of that email is sent to the Parental email address if applicable.

That email explains why they were banned, and offers recourse to appeal the ban.

Like I said, we do not take bans lightly.

*If the email address associated with your Wizard101 account is not valid, you cannot receive any communications from us about your account, including password resets and sanctions, warnings and bans.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Let me assure you, we do not take banning lightly.

In lieu of banning, players are often permanently muted. (you will see this as a 10 year mute).

Account banning occurs after repeated warnings/sanctions OR in light of truly egregious violations of our Terms of Use that do not just warrant a "warning".

If the actions of the player warrant a ban, a full investigation is launched. Chat logs are scrutinized and more than a single individual weighs in on the consequences. False reports against someone do not factor into this decision.

When a player is banned, they are sent an email to the address associated with their Wizard101 account.* A copy of that email is sent to the Parental email address if applicable.

That email explains why they were banned, and offers recourse to appeal the ban.

Like I said, we do not take bans lightly.

*If the email address associated with your Wizard101 account is not valid, you cannot receive any communications from us about your account, including password resets and sanctions, warnings and bans.

Professor Greyrose

Thank you for this information.

Though you and others have addressed this topic many times before and I may have missed a number of those topics and posts, I find the statement that “more than a single individual weighs in on the consequences” to serve as a means to assist in determining a reasonable judgment.

I also appreciate that an avenue for arbitration and mediation is available to us, so that a fair hearing is achieved.

I am glad that KI has procedures in place that can assure that the rights of all involved are preserved.

Again, thank you

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Firefrog16 wrote:
Hi kingsisle and other people. I want to talk about something about banning people. Now before anyone asks, I never got banned, but I know people that did. Kingsisle, I know banning means deleting accounts, But why? What if they didn't do anything wrong. For example, What if they say "We are gonna get hail outside soon" And someone thinks there cussing so they report them then a moderator thinks its cussing and ban them. Or if Mr. Lincoln was a little lazy and read half the report (No offense to Mr. Lincoln), then clicks ban. I remember reading on another thread, some dude said nothing and a big fight went on and he got muted. All I ask is that when you ban, you don't permanently delete their account, Maybe send an email to the owner of the account and tell them to show evidence that he/she didn't break any rules. If they seem like its right, then unban the account. Just an idea to help the people that were falsly accused.

Don't worry, KI staff reads the text before and after the reporting. If you were talking about the weather when you said the word hail, you won't get muted. The biggest annoyance with the chat system is getting reported for words the open chat actually allows, people said you said a bad word and don't seem to care that KI actually lets you say it.