Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells Ideas

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
For Myth, I was thinking about your idea. As much as I like it, I think people would catch that it looks like Grubb. People have already made the weirdest connections with my spells to other spells. Someone said this spell reminded them of Vampire! I really liked the cloaked figure idea; I got it from a picture I saw on Wikipedia (I know, original). I saw the picture and immediately thought, Perfect. Maybe we can combine them? The first thing you see as soon as the door flings open are the gleaming red eyes in the dark closet. The cloaked figure then floats out of the closet; all you can make out in the creature's hood is the burning red eyes. The creature then bends back as the eyes "power-up", and shoots a red ray from its eyes. Is that better?

this boogeyman is closer to an idea i would support, just one thing, the rays? really? um, don't you think this is a tad, oh, i dont know, modern? plus, i just think its weird to have some random hooded thing from a closet lazer you to death. :?

Delver
Dec 06, 2009
I already posted the Animation for Charybdis, and the stats for my spell. Let me redo it.

Charybdis: A giant whirlpool expands from the center of the battle circle, as it takes form, Lightning starts spurting out of the center. Once the target(s) sees this picture for a couple of seconds, a thick, defined bolt is swiftly shot out of the center, directly hitting the first target. It does the same effect to all targets on the other side.
(I know this isn't what it actually does, but it's an idea they can work with.)

-Oran T, Grandmaster Thaumaturgist

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
icewing43 wrote:
I already posted the Animation for Charybdis, and the stats for my spell. Let me redo it.

Charybdis: A giant whirlpool expands from the center of the battle circle, as it takes form, Lightning starts spurting out of the center. Once the target(s) sees this picture for a couple of seconds, a thick, defined bolt is swiftly shot out of the center, directly hitting the first target. It does the same effect to all targets on the other side.

Um, there is not a single word in the Charybdis mythos about lightning or electricity.

Delver
Dec 06, 2009
Here are my comments on your spells. I hope that we can come with compromises for both our ideas. I have my perspectives, and I will post them here.

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I think it's a fair enough amount of time since the release of Celestia to bring up this topic. Here are my ideas for the Rank 9 spells. I spent three days researching and putting these spells together, but if there are any inconsistencies with what you already know about the mythology of these creatures please don't hesitate to correct me. Be as brutally honest as you want, but please have a reason. Don't just say, "I hate these spells"; tell me why you hate these spells. It goes both ways; don't just compliment me; tell me what you like about the spells.

Fire: Chimera (80% accuracy; deals 935-980 to all enemies): A mountain rises from the ground, geysers spouting fire. As the large center geyser spouts, the flames form the shape of the chimera. It approaches the target as the lioness, goat, and snake all take a deep breath and breath fire at the target.

Why 80% Accuracy? It's 5% higher than the original. Also, way too high for an AoE spell. The spell is also too simple. Like the animation, though it would be kind of hard to produce that kind of animation in a game like this. I mean, people would be looking at the spell and would be like, "Ew, what kind of defaced animal is that?" lol.

Ice: Amarok (80% accuracy; deals 790 and steals a shield): Starts with a close-up of the moon as the amarok howls. The camera zooms out to reveal the back of the sitting amarok (a large wolf with white and light blue fur). It stands up and turns to face the target and growls. It runs and attacks the target before fleeing the scene.

Ok, first of all, why would it attack and then steal a shield? Also, the spell looks too close to the hybrid Ice wolf you get when crossing a Orthrus and a Collosus. I have an Ice wizard (technically its my favorite wizard as well) and I will not use nine pips just for this.

Storm: Siren (65% accuracy; deals 985-1010 to all enemies): A fog covers the field and the most wonderful melody is sung. As the fog clears, you see a woman in a tan dress sitting on a rock in the middle of an ocean, her arms behind her and her hair covering her face. She looks over at the camera, hair still covering half of her face as she continues singing. She then lets out a bloodcurdling scream, which dissipates the fog and holds up her hands, which are revealed to be claws. She then jumps from the rock in slow motion and scratches the target repeatedly, then jumps back to the rock.

First of all, it's 5% lower accuracy than it's supposed to be, and secondly, the AoE spell attack is way, way, way too high. It's almost the same damage as Leviathan, the Rank 8 Storm spell that would deal damage to only one opponent.

Balance: Sphinx (85% accuracy; deals 835 and adds two Hex traps): a desert setting is immediately established (sand, pyramids, palm trees, etc.) with the Sphinx in the middle. The ground starts rumbling, and all of a sudden the Sphinx crumbles to reveal the actual Sphinx monster. It makes eye contact with the target and runs at him/her, turning to sand upon contact.

Ok, there really is no point in putting two hex traps on a target. I can see in some ways, but overall the sorcerer community would probably be mad if they had to use 9 pips just to cast this.

Life: Zephyr (90% accuracy; choose an enemy to deal 750 or an ally to heal 750): the field is covered in grass and leaves. The leaves in the center of the field kick up and swirl in a cylindrical fashion; the leaves dissipate to reveal Zephyr, god of the west wind. (Heal) He smiles at the target and bows, building up his energy. He slowly stands erect and levitates, his hands above him forming a sphere of wind energy; he throws the sphere at the heal target then lowers himself to the ground. (Attack) He turns to the target with a look of ire. He spins wildly out of control and creates a fierce tornado. It tears up the landscape until it reaches the attack target.

I have really no comment on this one, nice idea.

Myth: Boogeyman (85% accuracy: pierces shield and deals 820): The field is covered with dark wood flooring. A door rises out of the floor; the camera zooms in on the knob, which rattles and slowly turns. The camera quickly zooms out as the door is flung open to reveal darkness. A creature cloaked in a long white blanket emerges from the darkness and approaches the target. It proceeds to scare the target with a simple “boo”.

Boogeyman. Ah, Boogeyman. First of all, the spell is 5% accuracy more than the usual myth spells. Secondly, why would it pierce just one shield? Why not all before it attacks. It would be a waste of pips if it only pierced one shield. And where's the famous two-attack type spell that Myth has? Also, you really need to change the animation, way too childish. A lot of the upper level conjurers would be disappointed in the idea (trust me I would know because my brother is a conjurer and he doesn't like the animation as well).

Death: Valkyrie (80% accuracy; deals 875-900 to all enemies and converts half to heal all allies): Clouds cover and float above the field. The Valkyrie quickly rises from the clouds covering the field, dressed in black and silver armor and riding a black horse. She approaches the target and raises her hand. A silver spear materializes in her hand and she cries out as she throws it at the target.

Um, Didn't I come up with this same idea before you? You just kind of took it from my Lich spell and changed the animation and damage (You can check the dates, you edited this thing, it wasn't the same before, and I posted Lich before you edited this.) Also, Valkyrie is a messenger of Death, though they live or originated in Asgard, the "Heaven" in Norse Mythology. Created by Oden, they are kind of like the Christian version of "Angels" so why would they be death if they are Angels?

General Spell Comments:

I like the animations, but the statistics kind of stink. Maybe we could work together with me putting the statistics of the spells, and you doing the animations? Just an idea ...

- Oran Titanrider, Grandmaster Thaumaturgist

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I guess, as a minion school something nice to add for myth would be:

Olympian might:
4 pips, for three turns your minions health is increased by 300 points and its attacks do 50% more damage. It also takes 25% less damage from attacks during these three turns.

Minions have no resist or attack boost and with all the gear and resist and damage boosts out there, we could use a spell to support our minions for a bit.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bmaillet wrote:
Ok, i have some ideas for new ones (not to contradict you, just to add some new thought.

first though, tell me which ones concern wind in the storm spells. and plus, i didnt say soely water and nothing else, i meant more along the lines of even though there are the mythical storm creatures, they still contain lightning and water, not wind (sorry for the misunderstanding). still, its just lightning and water. and i wasn't disagreeing with zephyr, just saying i think, and once again just my opinion, it would make a better storm spell. oh, and whoever mentioned charybdis, maybe that would work too.

and concerning quetzalcoati, i did a little research, maybe it could be the life? because the myths say he contrubuted essentially to the creation of mandkind.

for fire, perhaps the cherufe? go here for more on it- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherufe

for death, maybe the ammit? its the egyptian demon also known as the devourer of the dead (and dont say this is balance because of the krokotopia egypt thing)

ice, maybe a yeti? i couldn't find much on ice though, so thats all i could come up with (sorry if you think its not original enough for you)

i do like the sphinx for balance, so i would keep that one

myth, perhaps sun wukong the monkey king? just a little chinese myths for ya there 8)

Well the way I see it is if you take the wind element out of a storm, you still have a storm. Might not be as devastating, but it'll be a storm. Plus Zephyr isn't associated in any way with storms, which is why I refuse to make it into a Storm spell (Sorry). As I told someone before, Zephyr is the bringer of spring and the Life school is usually portrayed in spring, which is why I did what I did.

As I said many times, if I were to change the current Fire spell, there is no way I would want to use volcanoes or anything having to do with volcanoes. It's a cop-out.

I like Valkyrie for Death, plus why would KI establish Balance as an Egyptian-inspired school then give Death a spell based on an Egyptian god?

You called it: as soon as I saw Yeti, I was thinking, not if it was the last overexposed mythical creature on Earth.

Thanks for your comment on Sphinx (at least you like one of the attacks).

I'm staying away from Far Eastern-inspired spells because it annoys me so much when people butcher the names, which is unavoidable with Sun Wu Kong.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
Dear lord, I know how you feel. I study mythical beasts (and am interested in Eastern cultures) and a sanity strand snaps every time someonesays something like "hey, you know that Chinese dragon, Ryujin or whatever you said?"

As for Chimera, it still fits for other Schools well. Also, the term "chimera" is general, meaning an animal that is a combination of other beings.

Sanity strands...*laughs hysterically for an hour*

Okay! I'm done; anyway, I think that's a more general way to look at the word. When you mention it to someone, they know what you mean because that vague meaning was derived from the part-lion-part-goat-part-serpent monster. I'm pretty sure if you told people that it also meant "any animal that is a combination of other beings," they'd look at you like you were crazy. Not even my Greek friend knew that.

Hmm... that sounds like a good plan to me.

Okay, I'll update the-spell-that-shall-not-be-named right away.

Well... how about this: there could be a ship caught in the whirlpool, which could spiral into the center, where it would burst apart, and the damage could be dealt by the rubble striking the target? Also, more glowing eyes (getting to be overused, I know) in the center could cement the idea of it being a monster causing a whirlpool.

*sigh* I think we should just scrap this idea...

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bmaillet wrote:
this boogeyman is closer to an idea i would support, just one thing, the rays? really? um, don't you think this is a tad, oh, i dont know, modern? plus, i just think its weird to have some random hooded thing from a closet lazer you to death. :?

"Modern"?! How on Earth do you figure that?

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
CorbinW wrote:
I guess, as a minion school something nice to add for myth would be:

Olympian might:
4 pips, for three turns your minions health is increased by 300 points and its attacks do 50% more damage. It also takes 25% less damage from attacks during these three turns.

Minions have no resist or attack boost and with all the gear and resist and damage boosts out there, we could use a spell to support our minions for a bit.

um, is it just me, or is this idea totally random? not that i'm saying anything is wrong with it, just random. plus, olympian? really? sounds much more like an attack name than a minion spell. maybe a new name? overall though, not a terrible idea

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
pyromaniac023 wrote:
A chimera?I think it should just be a volcano or a lava monster.

*sigh* I wish people would stop asking for a volcanic eruption. Why does everyone immediately think 'volcano' when thinking of a new Fire spell. I'm not replacing Chimera with a volcano any time soon.
A chimera is not evan a fire monster as a matter of fact who said ki would evan follow your ideas.Your prob some ice wizard or something trying too make the new fire spell extremely useless.I thought over the lava monster idea i have a idea for him.Lava monster *rank 9 fire* does 850 damage too all enemies and gives you a 55% fire blade.You see cracks in the ground open lava seeps out of them.It takes form of a blob then it ignites and charges at all enemies.It will kinda be like power nova in a way.It does not vanish though.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bmaillet wrote:
Ok, i have some ideas for new ones (not to contradict you, just to add some new thought.

first though, tell me which ones concern wind in the storm spells. and plus, i didnt say soely water and nothing else, i meant more along the lines of even though there are the mythical storm creatures, they still contain lightning and water, not wind (sorry for the misunderstanding). still, its just lightning and water. and i wasn't disagreeing with zephyr, just saying i think, and once again just my opinion, it would make a better storm spell. oh, and whoever mentioned charybdis, maybe that would work too.

and concerning quetzalcoati, i did a little research, maybe it could be the life? because the myths say he contrubuted essentially to the creation of mandkind.

for fire, perhaps the cherufe? go here for more on it- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherufe

for death, maybe the ammit? its the egyptian demon also known as the devourer of the dead (and dont say this is balance because of the krokotopia egypt thing)

ice, maybe a yeti? i couldn't find much on ice though, so thats all i could come up with (sorry if you think its not original enough for you)

i do like the sphinx for balance, so i would keep that one

myth, perhaps sun wukong the monkey king? just a little chinese myths for ya there 8)

Well the way I see it is if you take the wind element out of a storm, you still have a storm. Might not be as devastating, but it'll be a storm. Plus Zephyr isn't associated in any way with storms, which is why I refuse to make it into a Storm spell (Sorry). As I told someone before, Zephyr is the bringer of spring and the Life school is usually portrayed in spring, which is why I did what I did.

i didn't say zephyr wasn't the bringer of spring, and plus, that changes nothing, efreet has nothing to do with fire anyway, so, do some comparison. in fact, its commonly used to describe africans, so, doesnt sound fiery to me. and i didn't say it couldn't be life, i was saying it sounded more like a storm spell to me

As I said many times, if I were to change the current Fire spell, there is no way I would want to use volcanoes or anything having to do with volcanoes. It's a cop-out.
technically, and i'm just being picky here, i didnt say a volcano, i said a monster that COMES OUT of a volcano. but i totally agree the volcano alone idea is complety overused and pretty anti-climactic
I like Valkyrie for Death, plus why would KI establish Balance as an Egyptian-inspired school then give Death a spell based on an Egyptian god?
I don't know, like i said, i was just adding some thought into it

You called it: as soon as I saw Yeti, I was thinking, not if it was the last overexposed mythical creature on Earth.
yeah, thought so, thats why i said its not original

Thanks for your comment on Sphinx (at least you like one of the attacks).
who said i didnt like all of them? i just think we should keep the sphinx for sure (plus, this was the best thing i could find anyway)

I'm staying away from Far Eastern-inspired spells because it annoys me so much when people butcher the names, which is unavoidable with Sun Wu Kong.
ok, being picky again here, its Wukong, not Wu Kong :D and i agree, even i have trouble saying them all

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bmaillet wrote:

"Modern"?! How on Earth do you figure that?

um, hello? lasers coming out of its eyes? sounds more like a robot :?

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Well... how about this: there could be a ship caught in the whirlpool, which could spiral into the center, where it would burst apart, and the damage could be dealt by the rubble striking the target? Also, more glowing eyes (getting to be overused, I know) in the center could cement the idea of it being a monster causing a whirlpool.

*sigh* I think we should just scrap this idea...

Yeah... maybe so.

We could turn to real life. A cephalopod (Humboldt squid, collosal squid, blue-ringed octopus) or aquatic arthropod (giant lobster or crab) could work, as could a moray eel, a whale or dolphin (you'd be suprised at how deadly they could be), an ocean-going reptile (like a saltwater crocodile or snake), jellyfish (Lion's Mane, Box, Portuguese Man-o-War), mollusk (cone snail)... I could go on. Easily.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
More updates to spells:

- The Boogeyman has been convinced that using his creepy red eyes to attack would be much cooler than justsaying 'boo'.

- The monsters have all been convinced that they're attacks are either too strong or too weak for Rank 9. Some have decided to tone it down while others have decided to step up.

- The monsters have also been convinced that they should adjust their vision according to their school for fairness. Some see a lot better than they did before; others aren't so lucky.

Delver
Dec 06, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
icewing43 wrote:

Um, there is not a single word in the Charybdis mythos about lightning or electricity.

Then what other animation would you have for it? If it came in with waves and attacked people some other would think it's too much like Tempest.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
icewing43 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
icewing43 wrote:

Then what other animation would you have for it? If it came in with waves and attacked people some other would think it's too much like Tempest.

Well, I suggested having a ship break apart and the wreckage deal Damage... but in the end, Akihiro and I agreed that we should scrap it.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
bmaillet wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

i didn't say zephyr wasn't the bringer of spring, and plus, that changes nothing, efreet has nothing to do with fire anyway, so, do some comparison. in fact, its commonly used to describe africans, so, doesnt sound fiery to me. and i didn't say it couldn't be life, i was saying it sounded more like a storm spell to me

Actually, Efreets have a lot to do with fire. In the Middle Eastern (NOT African - anyone who tells you that is having a laugh) mythology from whence they came, Ifrit/Afrit/Jann/Djinn/Efret are beings of fire.

Also, pardon my asking, but how is the bringer of spring and the"west wind" related to storms and sea?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
pyromaniac023 wrote:
A chimera is not evan a fire monster as a matter of fact who said ki would evan follow your ideas.Your prob some ice wizard or something trying too make the new fire spell extremely useless.I thought over the lava monster idea i have a idea for him.Lava monster *rank 9 fire* does 850 damage too all enemies and gives you a 55% fire blade.You see cracks in the ground open lava seeps out of them.It takes form of a blob then it ignites and charges at all enemies.It will kinda be like power nova in a way.It does not vanish though.

First, "A chimera is not even a fire monster," "You're probably some Ice wizard," and "850 damage to all enemies." Second, they're called periods. You should consider using them more often. Third, if you actually did some research on Chimera like I did you'd know that it's a fire-breathing monster. Do your research before you troll. Fourth, I don't and probably never will have a Thaumaturge; that's the school I excluded when I was making my wizards and I'm not making another account. Lastly, I'm sure whatever you come up with has a fair chance against my ideasFirst, "A chimera is not even a fire monster," "You're probably some Ice wizard," and "850 damage to all enemies." Second, they're called periods. You should consider using them more often. Third, if you actually did some research on Chimera like I did you'd know that it's a fire-breathing monster. Do your research before you troll. Fourth, I don't and probably never will have a Thaumaturge; that's the school I excluded when I was making my wizards and I'm not making another account. Lastly, unless I see a Wizard101 Staff title under your name, I'm gonna keep not caring about what you say.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bmaillet wrote:

Well FoxFyr already addressed this, so I won't.

technically, and i'm just being picky here, i didnt say a volcano, i said a monster that COMES OUT of a volcano. but i totally agree the volcano alone idea is complety overused and pretty anti-climactic

Yeah...and I recall saying, "...f I were to change the current Fire spell, there is no way I would want to use volcanoes or anything having to do with volcanoes." Now, I'm not gonna insult your intelligence by saying, "If your spell idea involves a monster that comes out of a volcano, that would mean that it has something to do with the volcano, doesn't it," but...

I don't know, like i said, i was just adding some thought into it.

Then put some thought into your suggestions! I'm sorry to be harsh, but that's what I can't stand: when people just pull spell ideas out of thin air, don't think of how that effects the other spells, and expect no one to ask questions.

who said i didnt like all of them? i just think we should keep the sphinx for sure (plus, this was the best thing i could find anyway).

Well, the only spell you made a positive comment towards and didn't offer suggestions to change was Sphinx. I know when you assume, you make...well you know what they say, but when you don't say anything else what do you expect me to do?

ok, being picky again here, its Wukong, not Wu Kong :D and i agree, even i have trouble saying them all

Well I don't know if you read but I'm an Asian Studies major. In addition to that, I'm finishing my fourth year of Chinese. It doesn't really matter how the spacing goes because in the end it's pinyin. However, I was taught to seperate pinyin by character. Since there's three characters, you seperate it into three pinyin. You could've learned differently.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bmaillet wrote:
um, hello? lasers coming out of its eyes? sounds more like a robot :?

Not really. Many monsters who use their eyes to attack their victims (i.e. Medusa) are depicted in a way that looks like they are shooting rays from their eyes in order to prevent confusion. This is common practice in pictures, movies, and video games.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
Yeah... maybe so.

We could turn to real life. A cephalopod (Humboldt squid, collosal squid, blue-ringed octopus) or aquatic arthropod (giant lobster or crab) could work, as could a moray eel, a whale or dolphin (you'd be suprised at how deadly they could be), an ocean-going reptile (like a saltwater crocodile or snake), jellyfish (Lion's Mane, Box, Portuguese Man-o-War), mollusk (cone snail)... I could go on. Easily.

I would love to use a squid or an octopus, but since KI ruined Kraken and the fact that that's supposed to giant squid kinda ends it for me. I don't know; the other ideas, to me, are just silly (especially after Celestia), but an eel sounds cool. What about a stingray? My Diviner, Valerian, has a stingray mount and I think a stingray would fit well in Storm. I say it's between stingray and electric eel, but you're free to add any more suggestions (you too, icewing43).

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
FoxFyr wrote:
bmaillet wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Actually, Efreets have a lot to do with fire. In the Middle Eastern (NOT African - anyone who tells you that is having a laugh) mythology from whence they came, Ifrit/Afrit/Jann/Djinn/Efret are beings of fire.

sorry about that, thats what the website told me. after i did some further research, it did show they were fire beings (like i said, i apologize), oh, and when i said africans, i didn't mean that they were african myths, i was saying sometimes africans are REFERRED to as efreets/ifrits/etc

Also, pardon my asking, but how is the bringer of spring and the"west wind" related to storms and sea?
i was just saying storm should have a wind spell because there aren't any yet. this also STILL sounds like a storm spell to me. i didnt say it had to be storm, i am just throwing in my two cents.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
danton1983 wrote:
So many poster keep posting new spell ideas new animation ideas etc. this one by far is the most put together from what I have read. I give it a thumbs up. The only thing I can say is that wizard101 hasn't focused on mythology for all schools so I am not sure how well this will be received.

I agree this is my favorite out of the ones i read about new spells because how much detail there is actualy been put into you can tell you did your resarch

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dg051998 wrote:
danton1983 wrote:
So many poster keep posting new spell ideas new animation ideas etc. this one by far is the most put together from what I have read. I give it a thumbs up. The only thing I can say is that wizard101 hasn't focused on mythology for all schools so I am not sure how well this will be received.

I agree this is my favorite out of the ones i read about new spells because how much detail there is actualy been put into you can tell you did your resarch

Thanks so much for the compliment. I thought I'd take this moment to say that even though I haven't really replied back to people who comment saying they like my spells, I do appreciate all the positive feedback I've gotten for my ideas, whether you think all my spells are great or you only like one. Hopefully people keep telling me they like my ideas, and when the time comes maybe KI will contact me saying they like my ideas too.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
I think the descriptions that ICEWING and AKIHIRO posted for most spells are terrific. Don't change one thing except for the stats and please agree on either one of those ideas. :-) You guys should work for Kings Isle!!!