Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dispels unbalance/ruin PvP too much

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I hate going last as going last has all sorts of disadvantages to overcome without the existance of one sided cards such as dispels and beguile. I call them one sided as they really only work super well when your side goes first and the side that goes last doesn't tend to use them nearly as much cause of their lesser effectivenesses.

I'd like beguile to be removed from PvP play, but that would weaken death players too much unless death is allowed to use enhancement cards on their scarecrow spell. I think that is a fair trade off that makes PvP play a bit more fairly while allowing death to not be weakened. Though I still think storm should be given the old wild bolt back cause storm has been weakened too much in PvP play.

As to dispels, I've always favored removing them from the game as they added nothing to the game when they were first introduced. It made the game 100% more lame. In PvP dispels should either be banned or adjusted so they do not take away player pips cause only the side that goes last ever loses pips from being dispelled. One pip treasure dispels from the bazaar should be permanently be removed from the game.

Due to dispels I think spritely on pets should remove dispels regardless of the school a character is. Spritely is at least half effective in removing life dispels when playing last, but at best dispels should work more like stuns rather than how they currently play.

Chain stunning is also still a problem in PvP as earthquake removes all stun shields. I think earthquake should not remove stun shields, or at least remove only two stun shields each time it is cast.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
at the very least they should be removed from 4v4 PvP as they completely upset the balance of play... going first is already a huge advantage before having these one sided cards that are basically effective only when you go first

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
To be honest, I dont believe these sort of spells unbalance PvP at all. :? they are only part of dueling. Stun chaining? earthquake takes time to charge, AND I dont see conjurers use it often, so stun chaining still is not big. and if you think i am wrong, try to meddle with a Sorcerer's judgement. that is the true pain to mess with, so it evens out with the cards you possess. if you dont want to suffer stuns, then (unless you are a thaumaturge, then get stun block and melt) become a PvP sergeant and learn Conviction. it should easily deal with those stuns. problem solved. :-)

Daniel Wildhunter, level 42 Pyromancer

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Ronster55 wrote:
To be honest, I dont believe these sort of spells unbalance PvP at all. :? they are only part of dueling. Stun chaining? earthquake takes time to charge, AND I dont see conjurers use it often, so stun chaining still is not big. and if you think i am wrong, try to meddle with a Sorcerer's judgement. that is the true pain to mess with, so it evens out with the cards you possess. if you dont want to suffer stuns, then (unless you are a thaumaturge, then get stun block and melt) become a PvP sergeant and learn Conviction. it should easily deal with those stuns. problem solved. :-)

if you play 4v4 PvP, which is not dueling, you would likely understand why dispels are such a problem

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
Ronster55 wrote:

The real problem is skeletal dragon (just saying).

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Instead of complaining about something and ruining the game for the rest of us (because they can't seem to seperate pvp from questing right now) why not adapt, and find something to level the playing field. Everyone complains about the spells they don't like being used against them too much, but if you actually read all these complaining posts, you would find that everyone complains about every spell in every school out there with the exception of possibly the third-rank and lower spells. If they took out all the good (and by good, I mean powerful and/or useful) spells, then it wouldn't be much of a game. Now, I admit, I don't pvp very much. But one thing you can do is watch the more successful wizards and see what they do. Try to imitate them. I made friends with a couple of very capable wizards and they took me under their wings and I have learned a lot from them.
In the meantime, just understand that pvp with most folks means all-out war. Some are just nicer about it than others.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:

Okay, my view is, SeaSnake for once has somewhat of a point. Dispel can be bought at the bazaar for storm, ice, and fire, using only 1 pip to cast. Can you find the dispel for myth, death, life, and balance at the bazaar for 1 pip? or even 2 pips? No. You can buy dispel for ice, fire, and storm at the library, yes they cost 2 pips to cast, but they can be bought. Can't buy dispel for life, death, myth, or balance, now can you. So, SeaSnake does have a point, if you are going to do something for some schools, you have to do it for all schools, to keep a balance in the game. Also, it is unfair for whomever goes 2nd, because you may not know they are dispelling you when you attack and you will lose all those valuable pips. Now, if Cloak was actually cloaked, 2nd could dispel 1st without them knowing, but that is not the case, since you can easily tell what is placed. However, I don't think dispels should be removed from the game or PvP, just balanced out. If there are going to be enchantend ice, fire, and storm dispels, then KI should make enchanted death, life, myth, and balance dispels and sell them at the bazaar also!

Now, for this guy who posted about chain stunning! Earthquake takes time to charge? Obviously you are a low level and know nothing about Celestia yet, so I will excuse your lack of knowledge. There are new treasure cards called simplify and elucidate. Meaning, if Myth wanted to, it can cast earthquake off the bat! It is very easy to chain stun in 3v3 and even easier in 4v4. You can state all you want about conviction but if you don't get a turn, how do you think you are going to even cast conviction? Now, KI is asking us what we think will help solve this dilemna on who goes first and how we can even things out.

Taking turns as in chess is a way, but it always keeps one person going first or one team, still allowing for chain stuns. So, I do agree that once a stun has been placed, either an aura should be given, or earthquake should only remove one stun shield, not all! We will see soon enough how KI decided to deal with these issues! However, don't think the problem will solve itself, things just don't go away, because people will always take the easy way and cheat any chance they get!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I think who goes first should be determined by who casts the first spell, just like a real duel. That would make the turn taking fair, because both sides have the chance to draw first. The quickest one gets the reward :)

Scarlet & Rowan

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Actually there are dispels for other schools. The mysterious trainer in Colossus Blvd by Whatshername offers dispels for all the schools. (Mindy Pixiecrown?) Anyway, when you get to Whatshername, go left and down and through the door and there's a trainer in there. Hope that helps!

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
This game's major weakness in pvp design is the going first huge advantage.

They would have to really fundamentally change the game to make this more consistent.

Only way I can see, but would take more resources at their servers is to give you a rotating first every other match. At least that will help you from a round of bad luck.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
seasnake wrote:
I hate going last as going last has all sorts of disadvantages to overcome without the existance of one sided cards such as dispels and beguile. I call them one sided as they really only work super well when your side goes first and the side that goes last doesn't tend to use them nearly as much cause of their lesser effectivenesses.

I'd like beguile to be removed from PvP play, but that would weaken death players too much unless death is allowed to use enhancement cards on their scarecrow spell. I think that is a fair trade off that makes PvP play a bit more fairly while allowing death to not be weakened. Though I still think storm should be given the old wild bolt back cause storm has been weakened too much in PvP play.

As to dispels, I've always favored removing them from the game as they added nothing to the game when they were first introduced. It made the game 100% more lame. In PvP dispels should either be banned or adjusted so they do not take away player pips cause only the side that goes last ever loses pips from being dispelled. One pip treasure dispels from the bazaar should be permanently be removed from the game.

Due to dispels I think spritely on pets should remove dispels regardless of the school a character is. Spritely is at least half effective in removing life dispels when playing last, but at best dispels should work more like stuns rather than how they currently play.

Chain stunning is also still a problem in PvP as earthquake removes all stun shields. I think earthquake should not remove stun shields, or at least remove only two stun shields each time it is cast.
I agree but just sit tight a while! If you take a look at the last feedback friday, you will see how they are asking what they think good solutions are. I believe they are fixing it soon.