Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which Castle? Hmmmm

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
So I've really been enjoying gardening. Planting different stuff. Seeing what works together, reaping the rewards, etc.

But since I have a smaller castle I noticed I am limited in how much I can plant.

I was wondering if anyone knows which castle is best suited for gardening? I know the bigger the castle the more likely it will hold more, but I was wondering if there was a way to find out this information before you buy the castle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
ninnian wrote:
So I've really been enjoying gardening. Planting different stuff. Seeing what works together, reaping the rewards, etc.

But since I have a smaller castle I noticed I am limited in how much I can plant.

I was wondering if anyone knows which castle is best suited for gardening? I know the bigger the castle the more likely it will hold more, but I was wondering if there was a way to find out this information before you buy the castle.

Well, are you talking homes you can buy with gold or Crowns? Keep in mind if you buy a home/Castle with gold your allowed item count is much lower. As for homes you can buy with Crowns, I've only had three of them in the past. I had the balance house which I would say is not a good choice for gardening, I currently have the Dragon Forge which does have a very large area upon entry for a huge garden, and I also have Fantasy Castle (this is the gift card special you can get from stores advertised by KI) which gives you an item elixir to have an higher item count in your home (this is where I have my garden and it's fairly large). The fantasy home has an abundant amount of area available for gardening. As for the other homes/castles available via crowns I'm not to sure. The life house has some good space if I recall correctly. I don't think the storm house would be a good idea due to lack of surface area. The others I don't know. But go with the Crown homes if you can. Otherwise the item count will be low for homes bought via gold from vendors.

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Can't speak for the crown based homes ... or Grizzleheim, (yet;), but the $15,000 castle from WC is where I am "gardening" now. It has the same outside space as the Marleybone Royal Palace, 100 gardening spaces. The smaller $8000 WC home has 40 spaces outside and my nephew is using it. Does not sound like much, but from an energy bulb point of view? It is probably all a SANE person would need. Having the Unicorn drop by to play in the dandelions is not a bad thing either.

The greenhouse at the Royal Palace is where I started gardening, but the pathways and stage area break up the planting area so badly it is cost prohibitive "pet energy" wise to use it.

Looks great! Had 80 plants in there and IF they change how the energy thingie works I would consider going back. But 500 crowns a day with no pet training is more than I want to spend.

Both Krokotopia homes are BAD, they have more gardening spaces INSIDE than outside, lol and THAT means buying a LOT of unmoveable pots.

Dragonspyre has no grass, so it is ALL pots.

I personally did not care for the Mooshu homes before gardening went live. Loved the "look" of them, did not like the price of them. I hope other players who own them will comment on their gardening benefits.

Would LOVE to hear from a Grizzleheim owner.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks so much for the replies! Great information about crown and gold castles!

I do have to agree with you alex321694 about the energy. While I probably would like to have a larger garden, the more I think about it, I just don't find it worth the crowns it takes to keep it up and running.

So unless KI makes some changes, I am going to stick with my smaller garden.

Community Leader
ninnian wrote:

I'll tell you what my Nephew did. He bought a house just for gardening, the wizard city playhouse works perfect . Make small clusters of plants mini circles 7 each of which plants you want. This way you can use the double spells and take care of a full cluster. The only furniture he has are the hidden likes.

There are some great guides over at Wizard101 central.
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
For sheer number of items (and thus number of plants/pots), the school-based houses and Grizzleheim's Watchtower Hall are probably top of the list. The Myth house has a lot of open flat ground for planting, Watchtower has a lot too. And since the Hall's stone balcony and the Watchtower itself are both technically outdoor space, you can use spells to create soil plots in both places. (It may look like stone or wood, but you can still dig it up!)

Explorer
Dec 05, 2010
You can go to the Crown Shop and buy houses there. Click on the the the icon on the far right corner. You can click on the houses and then click on the magnifying glass. This will let you see the houses. If you want to buy it from a shop, just click on the word "Preview".

School House:
10,000 Crowns
or
100,000 Gold

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I bought the Dragon's Fjord house because of the large grassy area right when you enter your house, its great. You pop into your house and you can see problems right away. It sort of stinks that you have to walk far to get to the Shared Bank, and the insides are drab.

I like to craft quickly, I put my crafting tables outside on the area between the walk way and the stream. All four fit easily with spaces in between so you don't get that crazy which crafting table is active problem.

Watchtower Hall is sweet but you will be spending some time getting it, I made it on another account.

If you have the choice between 40,000 for a house now or 100,000 later, I vote save your money for the 100,000, I bought a Mooshu house and regretted it. It did have a ledge you could look down on the garden and cast spells, but there was a limit to the number of items outside.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2010
I think a lot of people just assume that you have to have a grass patch in order to plant. That's not true. I'm not a big gardener, but I do have a small one in my Dragonspyre castle. You just need to be outside.

I think the biggest issue people are having with gardening is that they bite off more than they can chew. Just because you can plant a 100 plants doesn't mean you should. As few as 6 or 7 will give you satisfying rewards for your effort and you might even have energy left over to train your pet a bit.