Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sorcerer or Sorceress?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Shouldn't the Balance girls be called a Sorceress? If you read the book of balance in the balance school (Krokotopia) it says on the second or third page:
This is how a Sorcerer uses 'his' magic.
HIS? What about the Sorceresses out there?

Defender
Feb 16, 2009
Most of the time, people use he, or his, or him for that.

Like "If someone could get a giant monkey, he could rule the world."

I don't know why. Also, Sorceress only refers to girls, but Sorcerer can refer to boys and girls.

It's like the name Leslie, or Sam, or Ashley. It can be boy or girl.

Defender
Oct 14, 2008
Personally, i would prefer "Sorceress", because it seems more mystical and feminine to me. "Sorcerer" seems more like a boy name...
BTW, the name Ashley is a boy name as well? Wow, never knew- lol.
-luna0616

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
dounut789 wrote:

I don't know why. Also, Sorceress only refers to girls, but Sorcerer can refer to boys and girls.

Ashley as a boy name? I can't imagine.

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
i would prefer " Sorcerress" ( idk if i spelled that write ) because it sounds more like a wizard thats what i think and his or him can prefer to a boy or a girl ty for reading this

Destiny DeathBlade

P.S. i didnt know that Ashley is a boy name

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
luna0616 wrote:
Personally, i would prefer "Sorceress", because it seems more mystical and feminine to me. "Sorcerer" seems more like a boy name...
BTW, the name Ashley is a boy name as well? Wow, never knew- lol.
-luna0616

and since when was leslie a boy's name too? i feel sorry for any guy named that cause i think its more like a girl name.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I'm all for equality, but this whole changing of names for gender thing is so archaic, don't you think? By the way, it was commonplace to refer to mankind (or any group of gender-diverse people) with male pronouns eons ago. Of course now we use 'they', but the game is supposed to have that ancient tradition theme to it.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm all for equality, but this whole changing of names for gender thing is so archaic, don't you think? By the way, it was commonplace to refer to mankind (or any group of gender-diverse people) with male pronouns eons ago. Of course now we use 'they', but the game is supposed to have that ancient tradition theme to it.
\\

yes, yes, [b/]MAN[b/]kind, we get it. But shouldn't women get a little more appreciated?

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
Wizzgal wrote:
dounut789 wrote:

Ashley as a boy name? I can't imagine.

Watch Pokemon the main character is named Ashley (Ash is short for Ashley)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Igloogirl3 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
\\

yes, yes, [b/]MAN[b/]kind, we get it. But shouldn't women get a little more appreciated?

Who ever said they weren't appreciated?

Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
Leslie Neilson, from the Airplane movies and more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie

Mostly Ashley as a boy's name is linked to England and it commonwealths(Wales, Australia, etc)

Well personally I would not call my boy's name Leslie, or Ashley(prefer Ashton, or nick name Ash)

But then again I like Nicholas, and John, but I am old school like that.

Rhemas