Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Permanent Mounts - Crowns Only, yet No Drops

AuthorMessage
Squire
Aug 12, 2009
KingsIsle, I know that you guys are very busy, and I also know that you had stated you had intended for SOME mounts to be exclusive drops from Bosses only. We have also been very patient regarding the waiting for word back on the Wings Drop Rate issue.

In 3 days, it will have been 10 months to the day since you guys told us to stop farming the High Level Bosses for wings, that they weren't dropping right. You said you'd look into it. I understand that you guys are very busy, but this is something that has irked me since the Advanced Pets, the Celestia Prequest, and the Celestia Test Realms.

I had been hoping with the Gardening Test Realm we would have heard an update about the Wings... But sadly, it was lacking that. It seems you guys are getting very good with the idea of taking things away, but not so good at giving things back. At the moment, it seems like you guys aren't fulfilling your desire for every 'Crowns Only' Item that isn't temporary (Elixir/Henchman/Treasure Card) to be available through Drops. If you guys could PLEASE look into fixing this issue and let us subscribers who keep subscribing and paying your bills farm for these precious items, as you had initially intended, I would be ever so grateful.

Remember, KingsIsle, the way you have the game set up it seems you don't want to encourage people subscribing... Please make the Crowns Only mounts either purchasable with Gold or obtainable through Drop, as all the other Crowns Only permanent items. I mean, I'm getting TONS of Crowns Only seeds (Pink Dandelions and Silver Trumpet Vines), which is a good thing, but it doesn't encourage me to spend extra money that I can hardly afford to spend on Crowns on them. I mean, you have a $25.00 (12,500 Crowns) worth of crowns pet DROPPING at a fairly frequent rate from Astraeus... why can't we have the mounts dropping from CL bosses?

Yours Sincerely,
Logan Soulsinger
Legendary Theurgist
Grandmaster Artisan
Grandmaster Gardener

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Can't you just pay for your mount? That's why it's a CROWNS item.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
I don't think they intend to ever do this, because if a person wanted a permanent mount as a boss drop, they could port to their friends and do nothing for something that would last forever. They receive their profits from the crowns players buying their permanent mounts.

Taylor Lifebringer
Level 55 (almost 56) Life

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
You can also buy SOME permanent mounts with gold. 50,000 gold for a basic +40 permanent broom is satisfyingly humble.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Initially in October 2009 when Mounts arrived in the Spiral, they stated that they had over 30 models ready for Launch and some would be Boss Exclusives. Also, KingsIsle allows players to farm for the Crowns Gear (Hats, Robes, Boots, wands, rings, athame, and pets). KingsIsle had also previously stated that any 'Crowns Only' item that isn't 'Temporary' (Elixir, henchman) would be available as a Drop. AND KingsIsle had stated they would fix the Wings Drop Rate and get back to us, which in now 2 days, will be 10 months ago they stated that.

And yes, I know that the ORIGINAL mounts are available in Gold and Crowns, and I have a majority of them. I just want to be able to get some of the other ones (the Crowns Only ones) that should have been made available through farming.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
Johnist wrote:

I just want to be able to get some of the other ones (the Crowns Only ones) that should have been made available through farming.

I wouldn't mind this at all, KI.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
I agree I want dropped mounts. I mean if mounts are dropped they should be from dungeon so people cant just continually farm a guy and get a forever mount.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Well as someone previously stated you can buy mounts with gold which is the best piece of advice i can give you. I myself only bought the chairty meowmedon because i think it went to a good cause plus it looked really cool and now people cant get it so makes it even more special. But I do agree to some extent about KI caring more about things that affect the income of money rather than things that effect game play i remember when that whole buy crowns items for gold thing leaked out I didnt use it for the one reason because in the next 10 hours that had fixed that glitch completely. Yet there are still glitchs to sultan's palace. And countless glitches that have never really been fixing. But like i said before when the glitch concerned people getting crowns stuff without crowns they went into overdrive and fixed it in 10 hours and banned anyone that had used it. So they obviously have shown in prior events that can seem to care more about the cash flow then the actual game experience. It could be true it could be wrong but that's just the impression people get.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
Well as someone previously stated you can buy mounts with gold which is the best piece of advice i can give you. I myself only bought the chairty meowmedon because i think it went to a good cause plus it looked really cool and now people cant get it so makes it even more special. But I do agree to some extent about KI caring more about things that affect the income of money rather than things that effect game play i remember when that whole buy crowns items for gold thing leaked out I didnt use it for the one reason because in the next 10 hours that had fixed that glitch completely. Yet there are still glitchs to sultan's palace. And countless glitches that have never really been fixing. But like i said before when the glitch concerned people getting crowns stuff without crowns they went into overdrive and fixed it in 10 hours and banned anyone that had used it. So they obviously have shown in prior events that can seem to care more about the cash flow then the actual game experience. It could be true it could be wrong but that's just the impression people get.

If you weren't getting a paycheck or an allowance, because of some glitch would you wait days or fix it under 10 hours? I know there is a subscription plan, but the crowns items likely go towards ulitilities and profits too. Both subscriptions and crowns are budgeted.

If someone ends up getting laid off at KI, because crowns items are no longer being sold, how do we ever expect any gameplay issues to get resolved? I for one, hope any payment issues get resolved first, then my gameplay issues/complaints.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Well, I don't understand what the big deal is about wings, but I suppose there is a legitimate concern if KI said they would make them available as a drop but have not in fact followed through on it.

That said I am more than satisfied with the best mount in the game, the tiger (which I was thrilled to discover could be bought with gold). Best 90,000 gold I ever spend. Also, I am equally satisifed with renting wings for a week for like 20k gold just to switch things up.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
kingurz wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

If you weren't getting a paycheck or an allowance, because of some glitch would you wait days or fix it under 10 hours? I know there is a subscription plan, but the crowns items likely go towards ulitilities and profits too. Both subscriptions and crowns are budgeted.

If someone ends up getting laid off at KI, because crowns items are no longer being sold, how do we ever expect any gameplay issues to get resolved? I for one, hope any payment issues get resolved first, then my gameplay issues/complaints.

For sure i posted about that when it first game out but the idea is that i saw in it that kingsisle does have the potential to fix something as fast as possible and i dont see why it can't be applied to certain problems in game??
And lets put into this kind of situation what if a game play problem stops people from subscribing you know? The game is a product there is no guarentee that people have to pay for it they don't like it they can leave so whether you believe it or not fixing game problems is something that needs to be done to.. While video games are a privelege they also have to know we are customers, we are giving them money and the product should be worth the pay.

Mastermind
Nov 04, 2010
I got my permanent Enchanted Broom for 70,000 gold IN THE CROWNS SHOP.

Chase Nightbreath, Level 60 Pyromancer
Its not the efreet, its the efreeter.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I just wish they would stop dropping temp mounts

because the timer starts the moment you get it. and I get them all the time and how many can i us in the same day? its a waste.

Survivor
May 08, 2011
Dipsas wrote:
You can also buy SOME permanent mounts with gold. 50,000 gold for a basic +40 permanent broom is satisfyingly humble.

Yes, but who has 50,000 gold? Not me, especially.

Scarlet SparkleHeart Level 28 Balance
Sierra Level 5 Life
Chelsea SoulCatcher Level 2 Death

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
When I started my fire wizard, I ended up getting 3 mounts in one day.
I usually sell my things at the bazaar to get more money.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
People, the issue here isn't the mounts that are available for Gold and Crowns - I own ALL of those. The issue(s) here are about the Crowns Only mounts that are NOT available as permanent drops, and the fact that it has been more than 14 months since KingsIsle stated that the Wings Drop rate was TOO LOW and they would let us know when the fixed it.

I would seriously like Professor Greyrose to respond, letting us know WHEN KingsIsle intends to fulfill their promise on all 'non-shortcutting' items (non-elixir/henchman) that are Crowns Only to be available through Drops.

Question 9: Crowns Vs Sub
As in this topic there is a question if crowned/access pass players are considered free to play players?
Answer 9:
This is a complicated question. Right now there are essentially two groups, Paying Players and Free to Play. The definitions are as follows:
Paying Players currently have an active prepaid subscription for that month, or have made a minimum $10 purchase of Crowns within 30 days.
Free to Play players are players who are currently not subscribed, and/or who have not made a purchase of Crowns in the last 30 days.
These are the only two groups that our system contains.
We do realize that in some cases, players have paid more over time in Crowns than a Subscriber. The price of purchasing all the areas in Wizard101 with Crowns is approximately the same amount as a one year Subscription. Items and services that can be purchased with Crowns are purely a luxury, and are either offered also for Gold or drops on creatures. The only items that are restricted to only being available for Crowns are those that shortcut the game in some way, such as Potions and Henchmen.
It’s really up to the individual to decide how to pay based on how you’re going to play and that depends on the type of player that you are. Everyone progresses through games at their own pace. If you're only going to play a couple hours a week, or want to stop playing for extended periods, purchasing areas with Crowns is probably best for you. You'll progress at your own pace and only pay for the streets you need. Once you've purchased a street, you can access that street forever, on all the characters on that account. Players who purchase areas with Crowns, progress at their own rate, and can leave and return to the game without any change. You will still have access to areas that they have purchased with Crowns and can take your time to only pay for areas you can access.
If you plan on playing a lot more than a couple hours a week, then a subscription may be more what you need.
Players who purchase time with a Subscription can progress at your own pace and have access to all areas for the duration of your Subscription. Once the Subscription ends, so does your access to those areas. During your Subscribed time, you also have access to Message Boards, Advanced Chat Options and occasionally the Test Realm.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=788450&postcount=1

Now, to address the 'fixing' of the Crowns Shop gold glitch that thorvon65 keeps mentioning- The only reason they were able to fix that one so fast is because all they had to do was change the Gold Values for specific Crowns Only items (Wings, etc) to an invalid number (-1 cost). The actual Crowns Shop loophole remained there until the Warehouse came out in June of last year. So no, the Crowns Shop bug was not 'Fixed within 10 hours'. The bug remained there for many months.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Johnist wrote:

Remember, KingsIsle, the way you have the game set up it seems you don't want to encourage people subscribing...

i agree and that's a poor business model. It's always much better business for any company to have subscribers than to try to sell stuff piece meal to customers. With subscribers you have guarenteed cashflow coming in every month. Without them, you're constantly having to talk people into buying stuff and have no guarentee at all that anyone will pay for your product.

There should be a much heavier emphasis on membership, with a lot of extra benefits for members, with the option of only paying for stuff piecemeal still available for those that choose not to subscribe.

Defender
Oct 05, 2010
guys calm down. you need to see this from the simple game desiners perspective. he go's to work everyday, speniding hours hunched over a computer building mosnters and programing complex stats and equations that apply to traps and blades, attends meetings on possible game changes, and helps desighn a new world like wintertusk in a week. now at the end of the month it would only be natrul to expect a paycheck. now riddle me this, how can ki pay this money? from there own pockets? well that would be swell if they could do that, but like unicorns, it is a beutiful thing that is not possible. no they must get the cash from a source that almost all businesses rely on. us, the consumer. it would be great if this game had everything availible for in game currency that was earned by selling stuff, completeing quests, etc. but like i said before, thats a unicorn

that game desiner that i mentioned before has a billion duties, and on top of that he must deal with this drop bug. early bird gets the worm is the rule that applies here. the first bugs in get taken care of first, and that can be a workload worth 14 months. that is beacause he has kids and a wife that he needs to come home to and play and talk with, and he needs to sleep and eat and breath and go to the bathroom, therefor he cant work on this game 24/7. would you rather still have no cl or wintertusk? then leave the desingner alone and wait.

and if a designer is reading right now, thank you for a wonderful game and keep the good work up

Survivor
Sep 14, 2009
Words mean things. The ability to fullfill a committment in a timely manor is also important. I recall reading that they could create a new world in around 3 months. KI has added a couple of those and still has had time to work on "known issues." I would suggest that the "squeeky wheel gets the grease" model applies here. Enough complaints and they'd correct the drop rates just like they removed trading "enhanced cards" to make their PvP crowd happy.

As a customer, I find that the services are "iffy" at best when it comes to getting things resolved on a timely basis. This is about midrange for popular MMO games on line. I also suspect KI is more interested in getting new players as opposed to the longer termed members promises. At least, from a long term view it would appear as such. I'm not holding my breath for the correction or a response from a KI rep.

Semper Fi,

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
there are mounts you can buy with gold tiger , both red and Blue dragons , 2 of the Brooms , 2 horses. 2 loins before you could not buy no mounts with gold so it's getting better :-) KI is adding more and more things

Enjoy :-)

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
redmist01 wrote:
there are mounts you can buy with gold tiger , both red and Blue dragons , 2 of the Brooms , 2 horses. 2 loins before you could not buy no mounts with gold so it's getting better :-) KI is adding more and more things

Enjoy :-)

I've already bought all the 'Gold' Capable mounts. That's not the complaint. The complaint is that they aren't fulfilling their word. Their word is that any Crowns item in the game is available as a drop or for gold unless it is a Shortcut such as Potions or Henchmen.

Now, yes, I have been very patient. I waited 6 months before trying to contact Professor Greyrose via Email (never got a word back), and I've asked on Facebook, Central, and Here since that point. In 12 days it will be 16 months since we were told to stop farming. 16 months for a minor drop rate change they could have done in 2 weeks?

Also, when they released Mounts in October 2009 they stated they had more than 30 mounts developed and ready and that some would be BOSS DROP ONLY. Lets see, it's now June 2011 and are there any Boss Drop only permanent mounts? NO! I think we've been very patient. Is it really too much to ask that they fulfill their own word? I don't think it is.

Please, KingsIsle, respond. When will you fix the drop rate of wings, and make other Permanent mounts dropped from bosses? Either that, or apologize to us for your statement from February 24, 2010 that you would be adjusting the drop rate and letting us know. As far as 'shortly', well, that's been gone so long ago.

KingsIsle, I will not be letting this issue drop until I have an answer from you, not from other players. At the end of the day, its what you have to say about this issue that I want to hear. I've already acquired all the Gold mounts, and you can check back to my purchase records of crowns and what I've done with them. I've been VERY generous to you people, KingsIsle. I love Wizard101, but seriously, I hate hypocrisy...

Waiting for word from KingsIsle,
Logan Soulsinger
Legendary Theurgist
Master Historian
Waterworks Warrior
Grandmaster Gardener
Grandmaster Artisan

PS - @ ibeamazing101
First off, Spell Check. Second off, I have been calm. I've been rational. I've been generous to KingsIsle. I buy crowns frequently, although I've got my annual sub. KingsIsle isn't going to go broke if they fulfill their promise of letting Permanent Mounts be dropped by bosses. In fact, it would just give more of a reason to play the game more. As it is, the main reason I log in now is to see if friends are on to run Waterworks with for Mega Snacks... I've farmed for almost every pet in the game.

Also, once a system is in place like the system they have now, all they would need to do is punch in the % values, not rebuild the equations. Yes, the programmers may spend hours hunched over a computer, designing and applying stats, but that's part of their Job Description. A company's best bet on income is from Subscribers, not Micro Payments. At the end of the day, all they have to go on is their word, and their word is starting to look rather full of holes.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
kittycat1910 wrote:
Dipsas wrote:

Sierra Level 5 Life

Well, sometimes other wizards in this game save their money for certain causes, like I do with my low level sometimes, if you sell items for a low cost but sell a lot of them, it adds up fast so you can have about 40,000 in one week. So in farm bosses or get in battles often so you can have drops and sell them. And, if you have a membership, teleport to a person in MooShu, Dragonspyre, Celestia, or Wintertusk.

Brian StormHunter, Legendary Diviner
Brian FireHunter, Journeyman Pyromancer

Survivor
Nov 30, 2010
legobob52 wrote:
kittycat1910 wrote:
Dipsas wrote:

Sierra Level 5 Life

Well, sometimes other wizards in this game save their money for certain causes, like I do with my low level sometimes, if you sell items for a low cost but sell a lot of them, it adds up fast so you can have about 40,000 in one week. So in farm bosses or get in battles often so you can have drops and sell them. And, if you have a membership, teleport to a person in MooShu, Dragonspyre, Celestia, or Wintertusk.

Brian StormHunter, Legendary Diviner
Brian FireHunter, Journeyman Pyromancer

Where can you get the 50,000 gold broom?

Defender
Apr 24, 2011
I agree with this post that wizard 101 really should have bosses drop permeant mounts, so then you don't have pay crowns or lots of gold in the crowns shop.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2009
[quote=PeaceDemon007
Where can you get the 50,000 gold broom?

Try the Crown Shop, go to Rides an click on a broom. Then click on Gold over in right window and it will show you which rides can be purchased with Gold vs Crowns.

Back to the point of this thread, if KI had lived up to their promise, you could farm a permanent ride if you worked at it. That would be any ride, as they stated back when. The drop rate might be as low or lower than statues; but, it would still be possible. :)

Semper Fi,