Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spelling and Grammar Check

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Currently, it has become established practice for many posters to type not in English, but indecipherable gibberish. Your point may be the brightest idea on this side of the Asteroid Belt, but that won't matter if we can't even read it! (And before anyone shoots me down on this, just try figuring out what "idonthnthasagodidacusnoobsrgonapwnusifudotht" means!)

Therefore, I think it would be a good idea to place a Spell Check and Grammar Check on the Forums, similar to that used by Microsoft Word. (Please note that I am only referring to the Forums, as the actual game already has devices that force players to maintain SOME semblance of legibility.)

Come on, people. Let's wear Wizards' hats, not dunce caps.

"When offered a Snapple, say you don't like your fruit with tin."

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I would love this. My poor typing skills lead to numerous typos.

Megan

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
I would love this. My poor typing skills lead to numerous typos.

Megan

Now that you mention it, we would also see a decrease in the number of typos on the Forum. However, the real reason I suggested this was to show those who deliberately type using improper grammar and incorrect spelling just how ridiculous what they're typing is. For added effect, those red and green underlinings should be visible on the published post, for all the world to see. If this sounds too harsh, it can always be set so that only the poster can see the underlining on the published post.

"Did you hear about the explosion at the pie factory? The blast was heard 3.14159265 miles away."

Defender
May 25, 2009
I posted the same thing early this morning! They must have posted yours before mine :\. But I agree. Spelling and Grammar are important in life so people can understand what you say.

Signed,
Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
first we already have that or at least my computer does and second i dont c wat the big deal is making things short

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
first we already have that or at least my computer does and second i dont c wat the big deal is making things short

The "big deal" isn't about making things short (not mostly), its about making things illedgible (I know I spelled that wrong). So as long as it isn't complete (or partial) jibberish, there is no problem. Sadly people refuse to write decent (refuse or can't). So this might not concern you if you don't care about this, and actually not all people's computers spellcheck everything.

Amber Stormsong master diviner

Survivor
Nov 11, 2009
That's a really good idea. I think that that is due to the fact that many of the individuals that play this game are teenagers, and many teenagers have cell phones, and many people that have cell phones text, and many people that text tend to do so with many abbreviations. NOT very good for your spelling and grammar dexterity. Sorry if I just lectured everyone on this subject I do that sometimes Any way, thumbs up.(3, to be exact)

Myrna Windgem,
Level 30 Magus Sorcerer

Survivor
Nov 11, 2009

I say that the big deal is that increased usage of abbreviation in our society will not help at all with spelling or grammar grades in school, and if you can not write correctly, no one will take you seriously, and you will end up working at Burger King for the rest of your life. See my point? GOOD.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I can't thank you enough for remaking this thread! I have to admit I died a little inside when I saw my thread had been removed with no warning or reason. Anyway, back to the topic at hand I think it would serve better that posts and threads show the red and green underlinings to everyone to show others that the word or word order is wrong. People can learn from others' mistakes as well.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
cameron225 wrote:

The "big deal" isn't about making things short (not mostly), its about making things illedgible (I know I spelled that wrong).

True, true. (And don't sweat the spelling - it happens to all of us, and hey! You didn't do it at a televised spectacle.)

As long as it isn't complete (or partial) gibberish, there is no problem.

Also true.

Sadly, people refuse to write decently (refuse to or can't).

Sadly, it's mostly the former option - they just don't.

So this might not concern you if you don't care about this,

This concerns everybody.

and actually not all people's computers spellcheck everything.

Amber Stormsong master diviner

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I can't thank you enough for remaking this thread!

Your thread got erased. We all died a little.

I have to admit I died a little inside when I saw my thread had been removed with no warning or reason.

I wish KingsIsle wouldn't do that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand I think it would serve better that posts and threads show the red and green underlinings to everyone to show others that the word or word order is wrong. People can learn from others' mistakes as well.

Hmm, good point.

"Governor Tarkin's success in tracking the Millenium Falcon can be partially attributed to his previous career as an ornithologist."

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
first we already have that or at least my computer does

Not everyone's computer has that (and it looks like you ignore yours).

and second i dont c wat the big deal is making things short

Evidently. Well, the "big deal" is making sure that you appear well educated; generally, people will take others more or less seriously depending on their level of education. Understood?

i: "Come on, pi. Be rational here." pi: "Oh, get real."

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
morgenbard wrote:
That's a really good idea.

Thanks.

I think that that is due to the fact that many of the individuals that play this game are teenagers,

Err....

and many teenagers have cell phones,

Okay....

and many people that have cell phones text,

Uh huh....

and many people that text tend to do so with many abbreviations.

Ah. I see.

NOT very good for your spelling and grammar dexterity.

Un.dubitably.

Sorry if I just lectured everyone on this subject I do that sometimes

So too do I.

Any way, thumbs up.(3, to be exact)

Myrna Windgem,
Level 30 Magus Sorcerer

Very nice. =D

"All in favor, say 'the-square-root-of-negative-one!'"

Explorer
May 20, 2010
I cannot thank you enough for making this post. I posted a reply on a thread a while back about why spelling and grammar is important. As I stated then, as a Journalist, the English language is my life. Now I won't say that I havent made my share of typos, but the gibberish being intentionally thrown about by the youths today, makes my head hurt. How someone can show such disregard for a language is beyond me, I don't even use short hand in text messages.

Defender
Dec 01, 2010
I have the answer!!

Use Google chrome! It will auto spell check everything you type. I use it, love it! I would show you an example but not allowed to embed images or have URLs to them. Just take my advice and check it out.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
kinsella82 wrote:
I cannot thank you enough for making this post. I posted a reply on a thread a while back about why spelling and grammar is important. As I stated then, as a Journalist, the English language is my life. Now I won't say that I havent made my share of typos, but the gibberish being intentionally thrown about by the youths today, makes my head hurt. How someone can show such disregard for a language is beyond me, I don't even use short hand in text messages.

Oh a person after my own heart! So glad I am not alone. :D Not all of today's youth does that. My own son uses proper English and he is in Middle School. He just laughs and does an eye roll at the way some people post here on the boards. He has to restrain himself from coming on and correcting them.

Megan

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Here we go again!!!!!!! look for the hundrd time spellin and grammr on the INTERNET arent important. life is in a hurry these days n we dont wanna waste time. now if we were filling in a job application then yes its important. now i dont want this to turn into another incident so samurai and foxy, just drop it. plus my computr has spell check, but i choose not to use it why, im in a hurry!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
danton1983 wrote:
I have the answer!!

Use Google chrome! It will auto spell check everything you type. I use it, love it! I would show you an example but not allowed to embed images or have URLs to them. Just take my advice and check it out.

thts wat i use

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I can't thank you enough for remaking this thread! I have to admit I died a little inside when I saw my thread had been removed with no warning or reason. Anyway, back to the topic at hand I think it would serve better that posts and threads show the red and green underlinings to everyone to show others that the word or word order is wrong. People can learn from others' mistakes as well.

Hey they removed mine to. Get Out!!!! was so good. y do they do tht. o well, finally this things back. now i hve something interesting on the message boards. cya samurai

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Here we go again!!!!!!! look for the hundrd time spellin and grammr on the INTERNET arent important.

Fill out a business-related e-Mail like that and you may just get fired.

life is in a hurry these days n we dont wanna waste time.

Which explains why you're "wasting your time" on this thread.

now if we were filling in a job application then yes its important.

Which can be online.

now i dont want this to turn into another incident so samurai and foxy, just drop it.

The blame for that does not lie on you, nor does it lie in us. (It lies in that darthjt person.) Oh, and use our proper screen names, please.

plus my computr has spell check,

:| Really?

but i choose not to use it why, im in a hurry!

You had enough time to visit this thread.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
Here we go again!!!!!!! look for the hundrd time spellin and grammr on the INTERNET arent important.

Which can be online.

now i dont want this to turn into another incident so samurai and foxy, just drop it.

The blame for that does not lie on you, nor does it lie in us. (It lies in that darthjt person.) Oh, and use our proper screen names, please.

WEll i go on forum to stay informed on wiz. This is part of my routine. but wit homework and everything i can only stay on so long. and btw i call u samurai and foxy because of the same reason. btw arent samurai honarable????? u guys r obviosly adults so i no i might not "break into your mind." But im just puting through my point. Im actually doing a research paper on why everybody takes everything so srsly. tnx for the research. now relax its just grammar. im not saying tht it doesnt mattr, but sometimes it doesnt.....

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
first we already have that or at least my computer does

Not everyone's computer has that (and it looks like you ignore yours).

and second i dont c wat the big deal is making things short

Evidently. Well, the "big deal" is making sure that you appear well educated; generally, people will take others more or less seriously depending on their level of education. Understood?

i: "Come on, pi. Be rational here." pi: "Oh, get real."

and yes i do ignore it sometimes

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:

Which can be online.

first some ppl like giving ppl nicknames and yes we do have it on our computer. and second what so darth have to do with anything???????

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
Here we go again!!!!!!! look for the hundrd time spellin and grammr on the INTERNET arent important. life is in a hurry these days n we dont wanna waste time. now if we were filling in a job application then yes its important. now i dont want this to turn into another incident so samurai and foxy, just drop it. plus my computr has spell check, but i choose not to use it why, im in a hurry!

Wow, just wow. First the whole "here we go again" thing then you don't even bother to use their real name? I'm sorry but that just seems really disrespectfull. Now I'm not even taking you seriously and I try my hardest to find good in a post. People these days practicly LIVE on the internet, as in we depend on it so much, so I think that it is important to sound how you would talking to your teacher (or boss). Life is in a hurry, but if you blaze by your word will never get heard, as in if you talk... I dont know, horribly (?), then no one will ever listen. Thank you for listening, please no rude critisism (I always apreciate constructive critisism though so feel free to comment).

Amber Stormsong level 43 diviner in the drake hatchery

Administrator
This thread is (once again) out of control.
I am closing it with the following comments:

While I agree that spelling and grammar are an important part of life, not all of our young Wizards have English as a first language. We embrace our international players and do not want them to feel excluded from participating on these message boards because other players cannot tolerate misspellings.

Several of you are crossing the line when it comes to our Message Board Code of Conduct. If you cannot behave on the message boards, you will find yourself no longer able to post. If your statements are egregious, your in-game chat will also be reviewed to ensure you are adhering to our game Terms of Use as well.

community@wizard101.com