Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

whats better, big deck or small deck?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
hey i am just wondering if any people out there know whats better, a big deck or small deck?

+ big decks seem pretty good because you can get a lot of spells and not have to worry about not running out of space.
- but big decks seem to never have the card you need when your in need of it most.

+ Small decks seem pretty good because you always get the card you need.
- But you tend to run out of room a lot and cant carry many spells.

so i would like it if you guys out there would leave your comments about this and thank you.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I'm for the big decks. I did notice the needed card doesn't come up as often however if you limit the cards you put in the deck you have more ability to get the needed card. Just put the max 3 cards in the deck with only the essential cards then your needed card may come up more often.

Are there decks that go above 3 card instances? I would assume so but I have yet to see them.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2008
TayD wrote:
I'm for the big decks. I did notice the needed card doesn't come up as often however if you limit the cards you put in the deck you have more ability to get the needed card. Just put the max 3 cards in the deck with only the essential cards then your needed card may come up more often.

Are there decks that go above 3 card instances? I would assume so but I have yet to see them.

Yea. The most Monster Card Instance I have seen is 5.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
TayD wrote:

Yes, when you become a more advance Wizard, you can have 5 cards of one spell, but only from your school. ie, if you are Storm Diviner, you can have 5 Krakens, but only 4 cards from other schools.

I like to use small decks (25 cards) for battles doing quests, but big decks for duels with lots and lots of shields to get lots and lots of pips so I can use my powerful cards (Helephant) or other spells. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
If you mean the deck you equip from inventory, as you equip a hat or a ring, then a big deck is better (that is, more max copies allowed and more total cards allowed). Anything you can do with a small deck, you can also do with a large deck, but not vice versa. Note that you don't have to fill up all of the spots in your deck.

As for how many cards to actually include, that depends on the battle. You should make sure that you have enough that you won't run out of cards in a battle. Once you have plenty of cards, however, going way over that can be bad, because greater variation in the cards you could draw means that you're far more likely to get stuck with bad hands at times.

You should have enough zero pip cards to rarely have to pass, but few enough zero pip cards to rarely have a bunch of pips you can't use. Once you've got some cards that use several pips, you should probably remove the damage cards that use only one pip, as they're a waste of a pip and don't do much more damage than a wand.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The last paragraph from Quizzical is phrased very well. Well said.

When I first started the game, I went with the minimum amount of cards, and discovered that my wand attack cards simply overpopulated my deck.

In the later stages of the game, wand attack cards decrease as you get a more powerful wand, and you will learn many more spells of your own school that you want to use, like converts, traps, and shields.

I am a Storm wizard, and have my deck limited to rank 4-6 cards, traps, blades, and converts, inluding max copies of Tempest. I also include 3 of each Pixie (2-pip 400 heal) and Satyr. That alone makes my deck pretty big. However, even if I dont draw the card I do not really want, I will use blades/traps to buff or de-buff, and wand attacks (from a different school) to use up my cards without discarding. I try not to discard, because if you have a long battle, you might miss those cards later on. Either way, I will always be able to use SOME card, even if its not the card I would want at that moment.

Being able to experiment with different deck variations and configure it the way you please, strategizing and thinking about it, makes this game that much more fun.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
well there both good cause big decks let you hold more and small ones let you get a better spell faster :D

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
When I had Pinewood deck many of my spells wouldn't squeeze in. I'm with the big decks because you could run into a, say, Balanceblade or other 0-pip buff and use it while you're saving for pips. Also if you need a spell, you could just discard some cards and, without drawing a treasure, pass. It makes life easier.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I like having the big capacity items, but rarely fill them.

For standard street thugs, I use the KISS rule, keep it simple spellcaster. Assume you have school blades, traps if necessary, big damage spell (twice the needed amount for the number of foes, and a few heals. I also carry a wand with say 5 shots. With this, you should get a blade on the first turn, then trap, then let go the big spell. With few cards, it is easy to find what you need.

Example Death (mid-level): 4 Vampires, 4 blades, 2 shields, 2 +20% general shields, 3 heals.

For a specific boss, design your deck around him...remember, you have a chance to stop inside the room, after the boss has taunted you, and recraft the deck as needed.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008
Love the small deck, less to discard and I only have what I need.

Generally I have a big deck with lots of converts, my school and other schools cards, for when I face my school in battle.
So small deck unless I'm against same school.

PS, if you want to extend you small deck, make treasure cards of your large pip cards you use the most and remove from deck (save one or none), this free's up space in the small deck and when you need those large hit cards they are ready in your treasure card tray. Make sure to replenish your supplies.

Oran Jade Hunter

Survivor
Nov 11, 2008
I like to use a big deck but use the discard feature to get the card I am looking for faster by discarding the ones I dont need right now. I also use reshuffle a lot which I keep as a treasure card. This starts the whole deck over again.