Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death By Gold Cards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
The structure of this game has been over looked and well destoryed...
We as players and builders of decks knows that the right mixture of cards will dominate your opponet in PvP. Now I've tried to get into the mixture of PvP and has found it unpleasent when you got a gold card user. I've met some extrodinary wizards in my time there that had not used any and i mean any gold cards what so ever. They made their plans of attack like they where playing chess against me. Now some of them did have crown clothing but hey if they want to pay for it. I know what some of you are going to say about the last line. You will mostly say that it is a ridicual to what i'm standing for. Well it is not because they dont really help much in battle they sometimes hender the wizard's power because there is more powerful clothing to be found in the real game. And again gold cards are completely different to the crowns clothing because i have not seen a single gold card make it difficult for the user (except morphing and change one card to a different type of school). This said i was playing my lvl 20 fire wizard and i was vs. against a person of the same school and lvl. His clothing was different but just by a tad. so we start out dueling and he put a couple of fire blades on him regular and i was saving up for my heckhound card and there he goes... the wizard i was vs put on 40% elemental blades and then a couple of other gold cards (that i cant remember the names of) and so i was just using the regular card and i cast my heckhound and it went perfectly i'd saved up enough pips he had alread healed with a gold card and it was like bam the card that would finish him off... till he put up the fire dome gold card... and then hit me with the fire bird... i'm in perfect shape full health 1230... and he just went bam with one hit game.... this wasnt the first experience i had where the gold card alter the facter of the game. I mean it was like facing a ledgendary fire wizard and him going critical on me. I was that un balanced it was like me sitting on a judgement blance and was becoming more and more heavy and then bam he just gains a ton and its changes just like that. How can you call this sporty its like me with a pistol and him pulling out a elephant gun in a gentalmen's duel. How can you call this fun. I've had fun battles with friends that we both agreed no gold cards and became my all time favorite duel in my wizard101 history. So let me ask you this can we call gold cards fair or can we call them politics and just leave them be... i say lets make PvP how it really should be a game of chess the best wins and the one that loses experienced and maybe will beat the best in their next meeting. Or do you just want to go in to a fight and the wiz says you cant hit me i have glasses and the makes you wish you really did get him in battle with all your might.... Think ABOUT IT!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
at legendary levels gold cards don't matter much and are more of a deck construction thing than anything else with the exception of one pip dispel cards which really should be removed from the game (I think all dispel cards should be taken out but if only the one pip treasures were removed most players would stop using dispels as its cost to use would be a whole lot more to cast)

Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
well in truth gold cards are useful during a hard boss or just for playing around in some of the worlds... and i haven't seen that card in my gold card collection which i don't use for my myth character ha ha it just isn't challenging enough if you can use a card that isn't in your schooling or gotten in your training points. Personally I like the way the gardening teaching is done because if you just have to pay to learn another card trick then those who complains "well i use gold cards because i don't have the tower shield card"..... or "Sometimes when I'm vs a ice wizard with my storm wizard i like a few gold cards cause he has more health than me. So i put a lot of Health gold cards in my gold card deck." These little excuses are annoying. So i think if they change the training points to buying training ( aka lessons kinda like a college setting) on the card they want to train (given the appropriate level) with gold is a much better system. If they do that then they could get rid of gold cards all together. I mean you can create them with crafting or using the fist card etc then that would be fine. They still even though they do not sell them they should (if changes are made how i stated them or in a similar fashion) be banned from PvP it would be a great change. Now giving that as a topic lets see if someone can counter my idea. 8) ;) :-P

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
The only treasure cards I use in pvp are tower shields. Additionally, I find it is a point of pride that I rarely use spells that are not from my primary school of magic (well, except for heals). If a wizard can't strategize with his/her own school cards, then s/he needs to practice a little more and then go to the arena.

Rowan Earthsong, PvP Veteran
Scarlet Ravensong, Pvp Veteran

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
"Gold" Treasure cards are simply part of the game. If you chose not to use them, then you are placing yourself at a severe disadvantage. Many CCG's utilize some type of sideboard in their sanctioned tournaments. KI is not going to eliminate this element. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the guides available to players on other forums to see how they arrange their sideboards. In the current Arena environment being able to get what card you need RIGHT now is more Important than ever, since critical hits can finish you off or leave you vulnerable to be finished in extremely short order. It is not cheating to use treasure cards, and in the ranked arena if you want to succeed I'd suggest using them yourself. If you don't like people using them, go to the practice arena and ask your opponent there not to use them. Otherwise realize it is a reality of this game and accept the fact and consequences.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
In truth tower shields and healing cards have been misused in PvP. Now I know that you would say "well use earthquake to get rid of all the shields", but thats not the case if someone that doesn't train in myth school. The other argument is that it cost them a hole lot of money well that is true but for someone who can go to DS and earn about 20,000 gold in about one hour. A tower shield can be traded between players and so his lower lvl wizards can share the benefits of the traded tower shield(s). So when i say ban all gold cards from PvP i mean ban them. Even if you are structured with a perfect deck your still at major risk of losing to a gold card user (please do go off saying their is no such thing as a perfect deck cause we all know this but its a way of proving my point about the imbalance of PvP) . So with my previous post i still stand by my saying gold cards should be banned because PvP is a place where only the best of the best should play and even the ones raising to being the best. PvP offers the chance of a wizard figuring out the perfect structure of deck the one that concurs all that stand before him/her. Instead PvP has turn the point of the game into a joke and its not even funny. People who play PvP should actually be the ones who plays this game all the time and helps them practice. I hate that i could go in with great formed deck and come out loosing to person 5 levels lower than me. This is sad but true. Now the statements i said hasn't been acknowledge in the past two replys from other people and i want your take, you the wizarding community, to actually answer the topic in hand and not beat around the bush. Thank you for your time.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Luciferwings wrote:
In truth tower shields and healing cards have been misused in PvP. Now I know that you would say "well use earthquake to get rid of all the shields", but thats not the case if someone that doesn't train in myth school. The other argument is that it cost them a hole lot of money well that is true but for someone who can go to DS and earn about 20,000 gold in about one hour. A tower shield can be traded between players and so his lower lvl wizards can share the benefits of the traded tower shield(s). So when i say ban all gold cards from PvP i mean ban them. Even if you are structured with a perfect deck your still at major risk of losing to a gold card user (please do go off saying their is no such thing as a perfect deck cause we all know this but its a way of proving my point about the imbalance of PvP) . So with my previous post i still stand by my saying gold cards should be banned because PvP is a place where only the best of the best should play and even the ones raising to being the best. PvP offers the chance of a wizard figuring out the perfect structure of deck the one that concurs all that stand before him/her. Instead PvP has turn the point of the game into a joke and its not even funny. People who play PvP should actually be the ones who plays this game all the time and helps them practice. I hate that i could go in with great formed deck and come out loosing to person 5 levels lower than me. This is sad but true. Now the statements i said hasn't been acknowledge in the past two replys from other people and i want your take, you the wizarding community, to actually answer the topic in hand and not beat around the bush. Thank you for your time.

Luciferwings,

I still don't understand why you insist that treasure cards should be banned from PvP. Regarding tower shield treasures, why do you say that they are so disruptive? Do you suggest that players who use them are somehow inferior to those who don't? I'd be glad to PvP with you, using my tower treasures and my TRAINED healing spells. I would not, however, be willing to change my strategy, because it allows me to win arena battles. It's up to my opponent to find innovative ways to disrupt my strategy 8)

Oh, and a bit about WHY players use tower treasures: It is a strategy devised to keep wild bolters from killing players in the first round of the match. Perhaps, now that wild bolt is truly wild, tower shields won't be so necessary. Who knows? I guess we'll all just hash it out in the arena.

Scarlet Ravensong
Rowan Earthsong

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I'm not beating around the bush here. I'm telling you a basic reality of the dueling environment. If you want to achieve rank and win in this game you should seriously consider utilizing your sideboard. I'll even paraphrase Sun-Tzu, acknowledged to be one of the greatest military strategists of all time, by telling you you he would say victory can come from doing something your opponent doesn't expect. You mention this game being like a chess match. Guess what the best players win matches by doing unexpected things like sacraficing a queen to pull the opponent out of position and open him for finishing attack several turns later. Right now the arena environment is VERY vicious and dirty, with the introduction of critical hits. If you want to maintain your position of honor and never use a treasure card, then by all means go ahead. It will make me beating you even easier. And since KI built it into the game its not cheating. I'm simply going to tell you to use every tool that is available to you (you wouldn't ask a carpenter not to use his hammer right?).

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
I think that treasure cards are quite a bit like cheating, though they have been approved by KI. PvP used to be about who had the best mind, not who had the best treasure cards. I can get beaten by someone ten levels lower than me in ranked because they use treasure cards and I can't seem to find good ones. And once I've lost the ranked duel to someone ten levels lower than me I lose 24 rank points and are demoted a level. It seems to me that treasure cards should be banned from PvP, or at least in the ranked arena. But we should never remove them completely! I know from asking several other wizards and a few tries myself that treasure cards make PvE much smoother. And if you tell me to change my strategy to fight them in different ways, I have. And all the people with treasure cards are usually the ones with gear, so they have crazy resist and put anti-blades on me while I'm trying to lower their health enough so they have to heal and waste pips. It really makes me angry when I'm flattened by an Orpheus that that wizard had no ability to use without treasure cards.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Low level wizards using higher level spells shouldn't be much of a problem. They take forever to get enough pips to cast higher level spells. Successful dueling requires developing a certain skill set. Counting your opponents pips is a vital skill. It allows you to be concious of what your opponent may cast at any time. In a duel, at any time you may be tracking three to four different things: Opponents pips, how many copies of your cards you've used, what cards your opponent has used, how many rounds are left on that regenerate your opponent cast, etc. Becoming aware of what an opponent may do AT ANY TIME is part of gaining experience in this game. BTW, often times you meet a low level wizard wearing full commander gear, that person is going to be an experienced duelist who is intentionally not progressing to a higher level, for tournaments.

I remember how hard and frustrating it was to get my first wizard to rank up in the arena. I had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way. And overall game play changes as you achieve higher dueling ranks. You simply have to adapt. I would suggest using some of the guides at other forums to familiarize yourself with strategies and how other players build their sidedeck. It will take a while find a build that suits your style of play, and your style of play will change and evolve, but keep trying and learning. It will make the process that more satisfying when you succeed.