Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KSERS (Kill stealers)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Perhaps, there should be a way to prevent people from joining in every battle you are in and taking your kills? I asked one guy to stop following me around and find his own space TWICE (there were at least 3 other open areas with the same monsters). No matter how many times I would move he would follow after I started. I finally had to flee to get away from him and left him there all alone with all the monsters. Rayne who is beginning to wonder how long I'll be a paying member and staying in this game.

Administrator
If you encounter this in the future, you do not need to flee.

Once you have completed a duel, simply change realms. You can do this by pressing the Escape key and clicking on the tab that has two little blue world globes on it. From there you can choose any realm to teleport to. If you are not in an instance, you will be teleported to the other realm to exactly the same spot you're standing in now.

It is also possible that this person thought they were helping out, or may have needed your help to survive.

Hope that helps you.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Ah thank you so very much for the changing realms idea. I didn't know that. People ask me for help all the time in the game and I come running. Had he asked I'd have been more than happy. Anyway, thanks again, Rayne.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
I wish perhaps to join a group you need to get an ok from the person in the first slot.

And I wish before people could teleport to you you, you would have to accept or ok it.

I have taken most everyone of lower levels off my friends list because of this. I almost get a mob killed and a level 7 pops in to reap the rewards just as the battle ends.

I love helping people and would love to pop in to lower levels now and again to help them, but I gave up and took them all off my friends list.

Another option might be an option you can click on like "soloing" for when you are wanting to solo and not have others pop in on you. This way people could still send you messages and perhaps ask if they can join you, so you can click off the solo feature if you wanted so they could join you.

Survivor
Dec 05, 2008
Ophillia,

I completely agree with you, I think there needs to be an acceptance button for someone who wants to teleport to you. I find that many people want to use me as a way into areas that are too high for them. Many times, they will teleport to me in the middle of a battle, realize that I'm not where they wanted to be, and flee the combat AFTER they have dragged an extra enemy into the battle for me to deal with. Like you, I have had to take many, many of these people off my friends list because it's simply a nuisance to have these people popping in on me constantly, only to be taken to wherever it is I am.

I am more than willing to help out lower level players, but it seems there needs to be something put into place to keep this from happening. I think the best solotion would be to add "Accept Teleport From ... " button, so when someone is trying to teleport to you, you can determine whether or not that person should be teleporting to you or not. If nothing else, so you can at least get to a safe area for them.

Thanks for making this thread!

Azurine

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
So I reported several people for this following me around behavior. I'm not talking once or twice, but if someone follows you all over into every combat area all over and I've asked them repeatedly to leave me alone, what am I sup to do? Today, I get a message telling me that there was no problem with what these people have said and that I will be in trouble if I keep reporting people. When you make a report it doesn't ask any questions just thanks you for making the report. Usually, when you make a report about another player in a game you are contacted for specifics. I'm in shock that a game I pay good money to play is not only not taking my issues seriously but that instead is threatening me with expulsion for reporting those problems. Rayne.

Administrator
RayneSaltair,

I'm sorry you feel that you're not being taken seriously, in fact quite the opposite. Please understand that the report function is for reporting inappropriate chat. Chat logs are hourly monitored. Repeatedly reporting someone for following you around without them saying anything is considered a false report. Wizard101 game functionality allows for players to extricate from all forms of perceived harassment.

As Prof. Greyrose pointed out, ". . . simply change realms. You can do this by pressing the Escape key and clicking on the tab that has two little blue world globes on it. From there you can choose any realm to teleport to. If you are not in an instance, you will be teleported to the other realm to exactly the same spot you're standing in now. ".

Again, you are a valued player and we trust that you see the purpose of the functionalities.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Are there any plans to add in-game administrators for these types of issues. I did notice the report function solely exists for inappropriate chat but what about harassing players or issues outside of the chat?

I personally would like to see admins, moderators and even mentors be available in-game. If it's a matter of volunteers, count me in.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2008
I completely agree with all of the above. Here are a few of my issues.

1) MULTIPLE FLOODING OF FRIEND REQUESTS!!! It drives me crazy when I am running thru an area and I get TONS of people trying to add me when I have no clue who these people are! And they dont just try and add once... Its Over and Over and Over and OVER again. I think we should have an option to "reject all add requests from this player" option.

I do not mind helping! I am a level 46 Death/Life Wizard and am more then willing if I am just running around in Wizard City to help if needed. But I refuse to add 100 players lower then be because it just causes major issues.. Which leads me to my second issue...

2) Players following you from world to world. I agree most of these players ONLY add you to get into MarleyBone or Mooshu... They just POOF out of no where follow you somewhere and it always seems to be the worst possible time.

Instance Zones and battling the BIG Bosses are my biggest frustration!!!
If you have a couple of people playing an instance all of a sudden a lower wizard comes in and then if one of your friends that NEEDS the instance DIES, They cant seem to get back INTO the Instance... Because these other players start popping in as soon as a spot opens! This has happened to my friends and myself MULTIPLE Times and the players WONT LEAVE! They stay cause they get the XP Points. I feel this is completely unfair to those of us who have worked so hard to get to the points we are at!

3) Another part of the "Adding a Friend" issue. I do not think it is right that players are able to try and add you WHILE YOU ARE IN BATTLE! This can completely throw off trying to play ... Especially when they are adding you AGAIN and AGAIN and you dont have any time to play a card because all you are doing is hitting NO NO NO NO NO.

Personally these can be some extremely frustrating issues to deal with, as I think the above players would agree!!!

Please look into ways to FIX these problems!!!

Thank you,

Heather Ravenblood
Level 46 - Death/Life Wizard
Waiting for the supposed "Dragonspyre" since week 1 after the launch...
Is it EVER coming out???

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
I have had recent experiences with others in the same way Rayne. They don't say anything though. They don't ask if you need help, or they don't even say that THEY do either. They just zip right in on your last monster in the circle, and just as you are almost done fighting, they come in, and drag two or more monsters in. So........you are stuck having to keep on fighting till those are done. It not only happens once or twice either. I have tried what Professor Greyrose had recommended in changing to different realms, but that doesn't work all too well either. As it is happening everywhere......which will lead me to comment about what "ashbaer" had to say about continuous flooding of FR's (friend requests).

Just a day ago, I had multiple floodings of FR's in one realm. I don't just go and accept any ole FR! I shouldn't have to. These people should get the hint after the second time we refuse to accept it.....no ifs, ands, or buts about it! I had had enough, and decided it was time to change realms. Guess what?! It happened the same way on EVERY realm I went to. And I am not kidding either. So, I totally agree with everyone's thoughts on the matter of a few added "in-game" buttons that could free up the harrassments that others are going through.

I believe the game-makers could somehow implement these in the "Options" page, if anything. And what if a person just wants to play solo? They may just feel they want to be alone for a while. There again......that's where these options could come in handy.

And to comment on TayD's thoughts.......I think it would be awesome if there could be "in-game" Admin's or "GM's", but I also understand that this type of issue is solely based on people being hired as such (of which that would be up to the game owners to employ them), which in turn, would be an expense that the game owners may not be able to accommodate at this time, or ever, which is understandable. But maybe volunteers could be looked into.

I know that the things I have commented on here are merely repeats of what others have already said above, but these issues ARE a serious matter, and I do hope the upper-management will look into them and fix them. This is a wonderful game and I truly enjoy it very much. It's just that certain unnecessary things are happening in-game which are VERY frustrating. And I do apologize for maybe going a little off-topic from "Kill-stealing" to "flooding FR's", but I feel it does all fit in with the need for added optional buttons that we could turn off or on as Azurine had mentioned.

Thank you all so much for this thread, as it has weighed heavy on my heart with what all has been going on lately in-game, and do hope to see things clear up. Much love and respect to both the Administrators of this game, as well as to fellow gamers here in the Wizard101 community ;)

Respectfully,
GreyOak
(aka Hunter Drakehaven, lvl. 31 Magus Sorcerer "Balance Wizard")

Explorer
Dec 12, 2008
You hit the target dead center Ashbear, I couldn't agree with you more. Yes friend requests are a key feature in the game for communication and trade, but must it be forced upon us. I don't like spending my time adding users to my ignore list, but it seems to be the only way out sometimes. I'm not sure if there's no message saying user has declined and they keep resending but spam is spam. And if i don't accept the first one or two times why would i the next five.

The bad thing about it is their is currently a glitch that makes friend requests crash you. And to top it off besides being busy doing something, in battle this is a no no. It's not only annoying it interferes with your battle and can cause you to lose. Now i don't know about Kingsisles outlook on allowing us to ignore the onslaught of friend invites, but losing an arena battle because a friend invite crashed you is unacceptable. Don't just fix the glitch give me a Reject All setting.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
I agree wholeheartedly on the flooding of FR's. I get this, almost without fail, every time my level 45 Necromancer goes in to Wizard City. As a result, I only go there to A) help a friend who was kind enough to ask for help instead of just demanding that I help them, or B) to dye the gear I picked up (which is part of the reason I wish that the Admins would add Dye Shops to Krokotopia, Marleybone, and MooShu.)

It seems that some players see a high level character (usually given away by our titles, our gear, or our pets) and either want to get access to a world they haven't unlocked yet, or just assume that we are there solely to help everyone who wants it.

It does get rather tiresome.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
You could go incognito. Keep a set of low lvl clothing, put up the No Badge sign and unequip your pet.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2008
I have to agree that I wish there was a way to block people from joining combat. MANY MANY times I've had people do that then they just sit there waiting to build up many PIP for a chance to land a huge spell. This makes me stuck in combat longer since they brought in a new mob with them. Often they're not even mature enough to PASS so I get to sit there through countdowns on each turn until I just kill everything myself. This is so annoying.

I've removed everyone who is not a personal friend from my list as well. People popping in on my while I'm trying to Katz Lab was the end of annoyance. And why should I have to go into hiding - changing my pets and titles to prevent others from impacting my gaming experience?

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
Because it is supposed to be available to the whole family. If so, you are going to have children playing and children, by definition, are immature.

Immature people tend to act the part in most situations.

To avoid this, you might have to go out of your way a bit. Does it save you time one way or the other? That is for you to decide. 8)

Survivor
Nov 12, 2008
I'm not going to take the time to remember to hide pets depending on what zone I'm in or carry around extra changes of gear to hide. A soloing option would be nice is all.

In the end it just causes people to assume the worst about people around them and avoid accepting invites altogether, intentionally fighting away from others who might actually need your help and other exclusive behavior.

I have several friends now playing and they've all resorted to clearing their friends lists and we only play with each other. that is what happens when you can't isolate or remove yourself conveniently from annoying behavior - you'll just lump most together and avoiding trying to distinguish the good players from annoying ones because it takes up your game time to do so.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
We're talking about children, right?

You could be an adult and put up with it, do what YOU can to prevent it or just whine about it like the rest of us until a better solution comes along.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2008
Exactly - we have come up with a solution which is intentional avoidance. It would just be nice to have a game option to control it instead.

As for assuming it's children - who knows. They are often not using chat restricted accounts so there's no way to know if it is a child. It's just someone annoying is about all you know.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2008
This is not just children. I have had everything in my previous post happen with adults. Adults who get very rude when you ask them not to join you, or to please stop adding you. When they speak you can tell there is a definate difference between how a child speaks and how an adult speaks. Plus... I play at like 10pm CST. When there are fewer children. I am not going to "hide" my avi as someone previously suggested and I am not "whining" about it as the last person stated. I am just giving facts about things that could be fixed to make this an all around great experiance for EVERY player.

I have an eleven year old Autistic nephew that LOVES this game. He plays all the time, but these issues are HUGE for him because it can send him into a melt down when people wont leave him alone. Or when people jump in to his battles and wont let him out. I understand this is something that we have been working on with him and he is getting better about it but yes it would be nice to have a "SOLO" option that I can set him to on days that we know we may have issues.

Sorry I know that this post is all over the place today.

Heather Ravenblood
Level 46 - Death/Life

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
MrLincoln wrote:

Wizard101 game functionality allows for players to extricate from all forms of perceived harassment.

Extricate.... but not prevent. With my luck I'd hop realms and face the same harassment from some other individual. :) A simple option to auto decline friend requests would solve half of the raised harassment problems.

As for the KS'ing, sure one could hop to another realm, but doesn't it seem like there's a serious flaw where one individual can follow another indvidual around even when asked to stop and face no fear of being reported or cautioned? I may be bit jaded here, but I have a feeling that far more people join in a fight to grief or leech from someone else then to help them.

So, in summation, I'm 100% behind any moves for an auto friend decline button, a 'solo'ing' option, and / or a way to report people whose actions (well intentioned or otherwise) border on harassment.

~N

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
The amount of participation in a battle should determine the amount of loot received. This occurs, to an extent. If someone joins a battle at the very end and doesn't cast a spell, the reward is minimal or nonexistant.
The problem comes when a wizard joins in and casts a spell. They then receive a full share as if they helped all along. I have been in battles that someone will join in near the end, wait until they see if I am going to win or lose and then cast a spell. If I do lose, they are there to mop up the spoils. If I don't, they make sure to do something just to cash in. Something should be done, I agree.
There are very few MMO's out there that actually let you do something about people following you about (changing realms with your main character). You can either do something about it or wait for the GM's to do something about it and whine about it like the rest of us.
As for your nephew, ashbaer, I fully understand finding a game that he enjoys, but question the wisdom of letting him participate in something that might cause a "meltdown". One might look at doing drugs as something that can be a lot of fun but not necessarily a good thing. As usual, there are choices to be made. You decide. 8)

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
I realize I am a few days behind in this thread, however, I feel that there are several issues that I agree with. It would be great if Admin could add a Do Not Disturb button in the game. A polite, simple message would be sent that the person who doesn't want to be contacted, isn't available at that time. Mentors in the game would be great, also. I realize this isn't cost effective, but perhaps good volunteers could be tapped? I personally never join a fight or port to a friend without ASKING THEIR PERMISSION first. Would any one walk into someone else's home without an invitation? I don't see how the game can be fixed not to allow fellow wizards from joining us outside of instances, or porting (see the Do Not Disturb idea above) but perhaps an etiquette portion of the beginning of the game with the Headmaster is a good idea?
Mentors could remind (not inforce) this during game play. Remember, my fellow wizards, this a game played with the public, therefore, we will all have to continue to deal with people while we are playing the game.

Just an FYI, I except friend invitations the first time, then remove them shortly after. That way I'm not barraged with requests from the same person over and over, but don't have to "deal" with them later. It has worked well for me.

Hoping you all have fun,
Autumn Foestaker 46th level Pyromancer

Survivor
Jan 04, 2009
What about a few realms set aside for differing age groups? If an account is registered to a 40 year old then they can choose to only play in certain realms. If it's to a 10 year old the parent has the option of sending them to a kids realm, and some realms would remain for everyone.

I know that some people have the family plan and they could choose to set up as a child or as an adult either way.

So in theory Ashbaer, if your autistic relative signed onto a mature realm then MAYBE people might be mature enough to not act like children while also being able to block text chat. It's an idea. And I understand where you are coming from. My sister is autistic, and I can imagine the same situation playing out with her if she played. I hope Wizard101 is a good outlet for them.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
When you hit level 7 or so, doesn't Diego come on screen with a tip to "Jump in and help other wizards"?

Personally, I think it's a shame to hear all these folks complaining about how they want to play a SOLO game. This isn't a solo game. It's an MMO. Go play a single player game if that's what you want.

Most people join battles because they are on the same quests, therefore in the same area, therefore killing the same monsters. This notion of Kill Stealing and Loot Mongering is trivial at best. Ever think that person who is following you can't read? My 6 yr old Daughter loves this game and she is just now learning how to read. I'm sure she ISN'T alone. Lighten up people.

Stop adding friends if you have a problem. If they persist, add them, then remove them. The game has all the tools you need to do this. No, it shouldn't be tailored to NOT encourage community and friendship. This is a game for children that adults are quickly becoming more and more enamored with. Therefore the adults are starting to protest about things they find annoying.

Yes, I'm an adult and I turned two of my adult friends onto this game. We can't stop playing it. We've even left WoW because of it. Why? Because it's fun, simple and has a deep strategic side like Magic the Gathering. I actually enjoy the Kid friendly way this game is set up. The chat filters, the spontaneous grouping, the sharing, etc...

You people need to get over yourselves and stop being so elitist and greedy. Succumb to the goodwill nature of the game. The tools are there for you to have it the way you want it. Use them and stop trying to Force KI to create "just another MMO".

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
I understand the frustrations, but I just wanted to share this. My son is 8. He plays a life/myth mage. He enjoys getting into a group and healing. He really loves following people around and healing them. I can't tell you why but he does enjoy that. He can't type and is learning to read. While I do monitor him some, he loves to be able to play on his own for 10 minutes here and there. I do explain to him that some people just don't want someone following them, but at times people do wave, say follow etc. He is learning etiquette.

There are kids playing this game who are young. The excitement is making friends and playing with others for some of them. If you are frustrated, remember, it could be a youngster looking to just play with your wizard because they enjoy people.