Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest Problems

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 04, 2010
My son is having problems completing quests. He is not strong enough to defeat the monsters alone, so he waits for someone to help him, and fights the monsters, and they win. The victory animation plays, but the quest does not advance.

In one instance, he was supposed to defeat a someone, and get a lock of their hair. He won, with help, but there was nothing to pick up.

In a second, he had to defeat two Cyclopses in order to free some students. He did this - with help from another player. The dialogue said that the cyclops code of honor would be upheld, and the kids released. But when he left the building, the task remained the same.

He did not have any problems with the free game, and we just signed up for the full version, and now this. I just signed him up for a year, because it seemed like the best value. But with this, I am not so sure.

What is going on? Do you need to defeat the monsters solo? If so, then why did the victory animation play? It makes it look like he's done what he needs to do!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
colinm95 wrote:
My son is having problems completing quests. He is not strong enough to defeat the monsters alone, so he waits for someone to help him, and fights the monsters, and they win. The victory animation plays, but the quest does not advance.

In one instance, he was supposed to defeat a someone, and get a lock of their hair. He won, with help, but there was nothing to pick up.

In a second, he had to defeat two Cyclopses in order to free some students. He did this - with help from another player. The dialogue said that the cyclops code of honor would be upheld, and the kids released. But when he left the building, the task remained the same.

He did not have any problems with the free game, and we just signed up for the full version, and now this. I just signed him up for a year, because it seemed like the best value. But with this, I am not so sure.

What is going on? Do you need to defeat the monsters solo? If so, then why did the victory animation play? It makes it look like he's done what he needs to do!

I'm not sure about the "lock of hair" quest. I don't remember that one. A lot of times there is nothing to actually pick up or receive. You just see the words on the screen that say something like "Victory. Collected (whatever item you needed)." Or even, "Victory. DID NOT COLLECT (whatever item)." Even though you defeat the person, you don't always collect the item and you have to fight them again. This happens a lot throughout the game.

But with the two cyclops quest, after he defeated them, he had to walk over to the side of that room and a gate would open where the children were being held. The children would thank him for saving them and then his quest would be complete.

Sometimes in a hurry at the end of the quest, we don't always listen to all of the dialogue from the other person. Sometimes it gives us specific instructions on what to do next. Ask him to slow down a little and listen to all that is said. This might help.

Don't be discouraged by a few setbacks in the beginning. The game is really a lot of fun. :D

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
With the quest to defeat Bastilla Gravewynd, the very act of defeating her automatically awards you with a lock of her hair. The next step to that quest is to go to Gretta Darkkettle. This quest is in Firecat Alley

In the quest to free the students, you need to defeat General Akilles. After you do so and while you are still in the building, walk over to the students. The bars will disappear and the students will talk to you. It is this secondary act that will trigger the quest as being completed (still need to go talk to Nolan Stormgate). This quest is in Cyclops Lane

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Explorer
May 18, 2010
The quests for killing a monster to get something like a lock of hair you have to defeat it more than one time usually. Your lucky if you got it in one try.

Survivor
Jan 08, 2011
I'm having problems with the Nolan Stormgate The Dark Cave Quest. It says to battle everything in the Dark Cave until you find the Runed Skull. I've spent hours in there, battling everything, but still haven't found the Runed Skull. What's up? I don't get it.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
7Ridgewalker wrote:
I'm having problems with the Nolan Stormgate The Dark Cave Quest. It says to battle everything in the Dark Cave until you find the Runed Skull. I've spent hours in there, battling everything, but still haven't found the Runed Skull. What's up? I don't get it.

Check your Current Quest [press Q] and see if it is still there. It should not take but a few battles to fulfill the quest. If your tracker is on, in most cases you will see when the quest is completed.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I think people should be able to decline quests they realize they don't and can't do after they've accepted them. Like my wizard when she was a 23 accepted all kinds of "Find the Books" Quests. And now I cannot complete them and I don't feel like it. Too hard. :( So even if we have to go back to the person who gave us the quest. You should be allowed to "Re-Decline."

Explorer
Dec 05, 2010
You don't need to get the Runed Skull in the Dark Cave. I got mine from Lady Blackhope. It said " Defeat anyUndead and collect Runed Skull."

Survivor
Mar 04, 2011
I'm glad I saw this and hope someone can explain it to me too. I've defeated Skattlebones or whatever his name is, 3 times to get the scrapbook. From what I've read I have to keep fighting him until he gives me the scrapbook, is that right? Also what is the green bar across the bottom that seems to be filling up? Just started if you couldn't tell already. Thanks! :D

Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
I completed the quest to conquer General Akilles and free the students which I did after several tries, but when I got to Nolan Stormgate he keeps repeating to do what I have already done and does not complete the final part of my quest. This quest also no longer shows on my quests when I bring it up...kind of a glitch I am hoping because I have spent so much time completing the quest and want to just get on with it...

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
Hi I have a few quest in my quest log that need to be done but when i go click on them to do them it says "Quest Helper is not allowed for this quest" why cant i do the quest?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
tmd09 wrote:
Hi I have a few quest in my quest log that need to be done but when i go click on them to do them it says "Quest Helper is not allowed for this quest" why cant i do the quest?

You can do the quest.

It says "quest helper" is not allowed... That means the yellow arrow that points you in the direction you need to go for that quest.

The "quest helper" is not allowed on certain quests, like Prospector Zeke's quest to "find the smiths", and Boris' quest from the Library to "find the history books".

Just in case you need help with these quests, the fansite at Wizard101Central.com has lists / guides for these. Check this out:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34&highlight=zeke

Hope this helps. :)