Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

AFK button in duels

AuthorMessage
Champion
Mar 19, 2009
OK instead of just letting wizards die when the REAL people have to go AFK there could be an AFK button? Maybe? It would make the computer control you in duels until the duel is OVER. Here is the setting:

Cards #-## Card1 Card2 Card3 Card4 Card5 Card6 Card7
AFK PASS DRAW FLEE

So? See?

,Tyler LifeCaller level 60 Fire
,Ryan SilverCoin level 31 Myth
,Taylor LifeCaller level 11 Life
,Tyler LifeCaller level 5 Storm

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
i understand what you are getting at, and i completely agree. however, in my case, i feel that an afk button should be different. i believe it should make the person who is afk just pass instead of pretty much using a computer.

Historian
May 15, 2009
Yes i agree making them pass would be a better solution than having the computer choose cards for them
as they could go afk to do something and the computer could attack and waste traps they may have or blades

passing would be better
it would show the same interface as the passing normally does, but instead of clicking change
the button would say

"deactivate afk"
so it stops auto passing your turns

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
MSS11 wrote:
i understand what you are getting at, and i completely agree. however, in my case, i feel that an afk button should be different. i believe it should make the person who is afk just pass instead of pretty much using a computer.
Then that means the AFK button will pass. There is no reason why the AFK button should be there if it acts exactly like the pass button

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
woot000 wrote:
MSS11 wrote:
Then that means the AFK button will pass. There is no reason why the AFK button should be there if it acts exactly like the pass button

i meant a forced pass. one cannot pass if they arent standing in front of their keyboard.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
MSS11 wrote:
woot000 wrote:
MSS11 wrote:

i meant a forced pass. one cannot pass if they arent standing in front of their keyboard.

yea. woot000 you really gotta think things through more.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
Thechaosmagician wrote:
Yes i agree making them pass would be a better solution than having the computer choose cards for them
as they could go afk to do something and the computer could attack and waste traps they may have or blades

passing would be better
it would show the same interface as the passing normally does, but instead of clicking change
the button would say

"deactivate afk"
so it stops auto passing your turns

That Deactivate AFK I forgot to mention
The AFK would make you pass AND not be able to attack

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
I really like this idea. It would be helpful in a lot of ways. Like in the middle of a dungeon, with a group of course. you may need to go afk to go to restroom or if your like me, get my kids a drink or such. And instead of the whole group having to wait it would force you to pass automatically. There are times I am in the middle of a battle and my children being younger do not understand mommy needs just a moment, so i have to go get them what they need or want. Please add this feature in. It would be great.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
No. Bad idea. We already have a ton of people who refuse to pull their weight in duels; this would just give them a method of forcing others to get them experience, quest progressions and money.

If you must go AFK in a dungeon, then say so to your partners, and stay on the sidewalk so you don't attract a fight. If you must go AFK in a duel, make it quick and let your partners know.

If you really have such a stressing life that you cannot sit around for the couple of minutes it takes for a duel, you have some real issues - or you're playing Wizard101 in a place and time you shouldn't (also, you there in the middle row - stop reading the forums during class!).

The AFK button would be abused so much more than it would be useful. I just don't see how it can be added in a way that will be anything but a frustration and annoyance for others.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
Bookshelvings wrote:
No. Bad idea. We already have a ton of people who refuse to pull their weight in duels; this would just give them a method of forcing others to get them experience, quest progressions and money.

If you must go AFK in a dungeon, then say so to your partners, and stay on the sidewalk so you don't attract a fight. If you must go AFK in a duel, make it quick and let your partners know.

If you really have such a stressing life that you cannot sit around for the couple of minutes it takes for a duel, you have some real issues - or you're playing Wizard101 in a place and time you shouldn't (also, you there in the middle row - stop reading the forums during class!).

The AFK button would be abused so much more than it would be useful. I just don't see how it can be added in a way that will be anything but a frustration and annoyance for others.

well, i think that if there was an afk button, it would be useful, because who wants to sit around and have to wait for someone to come back during a battle? KI can just take the XP you were going to get, then subtract the work you DIDNT do from what you would normally get, so, no cheating in battle. also, some people just have to be abruptly gone for a few mintues, so its not that you dont have time to play, its just that you have to do something without knowing you had to do it during battle. especially kids like me, if their parents tell them to do something, they get mad if you dont. so the AFK button would be useful.

Thanks,
Liam Shadow,
Legendary Thaumaturge
////////////////////////
Blaze FrostFlame
Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
I really like this idea. It would be helpful in a lot of ways. Like in the middle of a dungeon, with a group of course. you may need to go afk to go to restroom or if your like me, get my kids a drink or such. And instead of the whole group having to wait it would force you to pass automatically. There are times I am in the middle of a battle and my children being younger do not understand mommy needs just a moment, so i have to go get them what they need or want. Please add this feature in. It would be great.

I completely agree some people just don't understand the meaning of the word wait. I mean we don't want to hurt our fellow players but some times we need to go to the restroom or get a snack or water but 3/4 the time you are in battles.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Bookshelvings wrote:

There's a fix for those people - either pass too or flee out and leave them in the battle alone.

What the OP is asking for is pretty much the ability to script a set of actions so that he/she doesn't need to enter them by hand. If the players who refuse to pull their weight used it, they'd have to enter the commands too, and would thus wind up doing more than they normally do.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
meh If you don't want to fight just log out. Either way you are not getting experience because you aren't casting spells.

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
sparky1233334444 wrote:
OK instead of just letting wizards die when the REAL people have to go AFK there could be an AFK button? Maybe? It would make the computer control you in duels until the duel is OVER. Here is the setting:

Cards #-## Card1 Card2 Card3 Card4 Card5 Card6 Card7
AFK PASS DRAW FLEE

So? See?

,Tyler LifeCaller level 60 Fire
,Ryan SilverCoin level 31 Myth
,Taylor LifeCaller level 11 Life
,Tyler LifeCaller level 5 Storm
That would be very helpful...... :D

melcookie925

Explorer
Jul 31, 2010
Support!
I like the idea of scripting your fight ahead of time, but don't see at as a viable option. You don't know what cards are going to come up in your deck next, which would make it difficult. I personally would not want the computer to choose cards for me. When fighting with others I would just be a powerful minion, which can be more damaging than useful.

An afk button being a forced pass seems the most viable option. Since when your afk you already do this it also seems the obvious continuation. What this would do is make the fight quicker for the people your fighting with. Instead of having to wait the full thirty seconds after they choose their card, it would just show up as an immediate pass, and once they chose their card, the round would commence. This would not affect you getting defeated when your afk, but it would help those your fighting with.

For those of you who complain that some people would be leeches, coming into the fight, hitting afk, and letting you do all the work, there seems an easy solution. The experience you would get out of the fight if you hadn't gone afk, is multiplied by the percentage of total rounds you were afk. If you you were afk for 5 out of 20 rounds the experience you receive would be multiplied by 25% of .25. (This means if you would normally receive say, 100 xp you would only get 75 xp.) Also since your experience is influenced by the number of pips you use in a battle, by going afk your experience is already reduced.
The rewards could also be lessened. Although this is more difficult, since it not quite accurate, and if your in a boss fight at the end of a large dungeon, you really want to be able to get the rewards. However, this is the idea. You would get fewer rewards in a fight, IF, and only if you are afk for over half of the rounds. If your are not afk for most of the rounds, I personally assume you had to grab something to eat, etc, and your not acting as a leech.
For fighting for quests. Say you have to defeat 5 of skeletons, or a single boss (not a boss with multiple fights ahead of him in a dungeon). To prevent leeching I suggest if you're afk for over 75% of the rounds, you don't get quest credit. Note- these are rounds you are in a fight not the total overall rounds. If you come in with five rounds left, and are afk for four of them that is 80% of the rounds and you wouldn't get quest credit.
I realize these leeching preventatives might be controversial, but hopefully, since long dungeons are excluded from quest completion and rewards, it will be less harmful for those wizards who are the victim of unforeseen circumstances and not habitual leeches.

My response to:
meh If you don't want to fight just log out.

The point of the afk button is to not drag out fights when
a.) you're in a long dungeon and need a few minutes break to eat or something
b.) something comes up and you will be back to the fight before it ends
c.) I'm sure someone else has another reason.

The point of the afk button is not for your benefit but to not inconvenience other players when you go afk. Or for other players to not inconvenience you when they go afk.

I thought about adding another addition, but decided I wouldn't prefer it but others might have differing opinions so I am including it here.
The addition: If a player is forcibly passed- in other words, doesn't choose a spell before the 30 seconds is up- more than 4 times in a row the afk option automatically starts. The afk option will remain activated until the wizard deactivates it.
The purpose- If a players connection messes up it would prevent an inconveniencing of the other players until they can log back on.
My personal disagreement- I usually fight alone. Sometimes I have to go afk for a bit, I like the 30 second drag as it makes the rounds last longer so I miss less.
A solution- (I support this but am not sure if it is possible)- Only have the automatic afk option take affect if there is another player in the fight.

Thanks for listening and sorry about the length,
Fallon Fireeyes

Survivor
Dec 25, 2010
Defender
Mar 06, 2009
MSS11 wrote:

I agree with you 100%!

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
jessessej wrote:
MSS11 wrote:

I agree with you 100%!

Agreed. This form of AFK button I would support.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
Survivor
Oct 06, 2010
i think this is a bad idea for the simple reason it would make the people that play do all the work, and the choosing attack without being there thats a bad idea too because people would build a bot and sit back and do nothing at all, because you in a dual and after a bit the game kicks you auto for being away, it would make a larfer server load on this game. Yeah i understand it pains me to have a person AFK but they should leave the battle if going to be gone a while or just hurry back before the game auto kicks you

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
The wizards already pass, but only when time runs out. i would say like the wizard cannot be hit and they have the same amount of pips as when they left.

Eric legend rider

youtube.com/ericlegendrider

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
There is a really simple way to make this work. Only have AFK button in dungeon fights. That way you already agreed to play with the people, so everyone knows you do/will pull your weight and you just have to take a quick minute.

I mean non dungeon fights may kill you, but it wont stop the progression of most quest lines, and most of the rewards are very minimal. And they last fast enough as it is so it wont make a big deal if you can't do a fight.

I mean I don't even bother telling my partner if I am leaving if I am in a non dungeon fight. Like they can hold it without me and if they can't then I made a horrible choice in people to play with.

Bottom line, not having an afk button won't make the lazy people go away. Sure it may make them think their behaviour is ok, but for the people who genuinely need that button, it will make their life easier and better.