Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Getting Pulled into Battle

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I don't like getting pulled into battles. If you are walking on a sidewalk to avoid enemies, but your mouse or keyboard messes up or your hand slips, you get flung to the street and if there is an enemy there you get pulled into a battle without wanting to. I think that you should be able to walk up to an enemy and it asks you to press X to battle. This way you can't get pulled into a battle you don't want to go into.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2008
I know that I have actually seen a few players that know how to have their wizard disappear and reappear (in the same spot) thus getting out of a fight. I have even seen some wizards go through fences as though they were not there. I have yet to learn how to do this (cheat).

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
i agree i also get pulled into battle and lose a lot of health in mooshu.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
I personally think your all wrong. This makes the game more fun. If you were pulled in ... who cares? Does it matter. If it didn't there would not be a flee button. Of course you lose your mana. But that is your problem for not being fully on the side walk

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
The issue is we are fully on the side walk. I've tested this and even standing in doorways will pull people in.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Then its glitch. If your under a door way in kroktopia like a boss door. Like the one in the Throne Room Of Fire. You might still turn on the braziers and the monsters. Usually walk near there. If you are turning on the braziers

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Orca wrote:
Then its glitch. If your under a door way in kroktopia like a boss door. Like the one in the Throne Room Of Fire. You might still turn on the braziers and the monsters. Usually walk near there. If you are turning on the braziers

Its not a glitch.
Its just if you are walking on the street and you walk up to an enemy, I think that it should ask you if you want to battle that enemy so that you can't get pulled into a battle you don't want to fight in.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
wiffleball76 wrote:
Orca wrote:

Its not a glitch.
Its just if you are walking on the street and you walk up to an enemy, I think that it should ask you if you want to battle that enemy so that you can't get pulled into a battle you don't want to fight in.

Monters are wild.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
How about when you go to Sunken City? You can be FIRMLY on the sidewalk and still be pulled into battle. Where does it say that sidewalk safety breaks down there?

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Sunken City is definitely an issue, there's no safe place on the sidewalks.
I'm hoping the staff will address this soon because it really makes completing the area that much more difficult.

Administrator
TayD wrote:
Sunken City is definitely an issue, there's no safe place on the sidewalks.
I'm hoping the staff will address this soon because it really makes completing the area that much more difficult.

That's the point :)

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
The POINT is that it is stressed ingame that the sidewalks are a safe zone. Nowhere is it stated that there are places that the sidewalks are not safe.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I was pulled into battles many times, even while I thought I was standing in safe areas, and yes, that included Sunken City. Perhaps the worst was marleybone. >.>;

Either way, in any rpgs, you fight, and there will be monsters and encounters. There is not a single rpg that I know of, in which encounters can be 100% avoided.

I have to agree about one thing though.. while fighting in random encounters can be fun to some extend... in this game, random encounters do not reward you with nearly enough exp to actually make it WORTH the fights. I am not sure wether something had been done about that already... like being able to reach 45++ without quests fighting random mobs.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Don't think of it as sidewalks being safe. Think of it as places where mobs aren't as being safe. As a corollary, places where mobs never go are always safe. That most sidewalks are such places is not a coincidence, but neither does it imply that all sidewalks are safe. There are some places in Krokotopia where mobs will cut across corners as they turn and can pull you off the "sidewalk",

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
I realize that they cut corners in places and avoid them (or not) when they do. When you first go in to Unicorn Alley(?) you are TOLD that the sidewalks are safe. Nowhere does it say later that that changes.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
DaWiz100 wrote:
I realize that they cut corners in places and avoid them (or not) when they do. When you first go in to Unicorn Alley(?) you are TOLD that the sidewalks are safe. Nowhere does it say later that that changes.

I agree 100% with you DaWiz on this issue. I have even discussed it with my game partner (RL partner as well :) ), and we had talked that no game is perfect. But I do believe that since we have these forums as a tool to relate issues to the gamers as well as the Game Owners/Administrators, this should be the place that these issues can hopefully be solved. It wouldn't have bothered me as much though, if they had never put it in the game that THE SIDEWALKS ARE SAFE. It does make it seem a bit "misleading" when you know that after a battle, your mana and health are both very low. So, you proceed toward the sidewalk to be in SAFETY, only to find out that just before you even get there you are pulled away again by the monsters.
A few days ago, I was crossing the street in either Cyclops or Triton near where the "screamers" are at. I looked before I crossed (like a good boy, lol), and suddenly out of nowhere, a screamer dragged me in a circle to battle. (This is where the frustration begins). Not only are you NOT wanting to battle, you are merely crossing the street to get from one place to another SAFELY. So, you're battling away, trying to quickly get this monster done and over with, when suddenly two to three other players decide to join in. Suddenly you don't have one monster anymore, but THREE more added to it. (This is where people asking to join you FIRST would have been nice, but they think they are doing you a favor, or are thinking, "Hey, I can help this guy out, and also have help getting my monsters done here too at the same time.") The preceeding incident happened to me four times in a row that day.....not kidding either! They never think to ASK FIRST. And I'm sure they have been in the same situation where they were just trying to get to a certain location where a Boss is, and get caught, then have to go through the whole scenario like I did.
(Sorry for getting a little off-topic, and ranting a bit, LOL!)

I have been more safe (surprisingly) along the wall edges inside the chambers in the Krockotopian areas, than I have in the open streets......including the areas in Sunken City (which are horrendous!). I have merely stepped into the instance there, only to find myself being pulled away immediately.
To end my little rant here, lol, I have read other threads about this same issue, and agree that fighting a monster should be a choice WE should have. Give us #1)the option to click on the monster when near it, which would then start the process of the fight. But until we click on them, we should be free to roam ANY area WITHOUT unnecessary fights we aren't looking for. Or #2, provide DEFINITE safe areas along the walkways (including "cross-walks" where you can make some short-cuts from one part of a street to another street, without the hassle of walking completely around a whole area SAFELY).

Respectfully,
GreyOak
aka~Hunter Drakehaven
Level 31 Magus Sorcerer

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
Just so you realize it, people are also ENCOURAGED ingame to join into your battles without encourageing them to ask politely first.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
WarlockWiz wrote:
I know that I have actually seen a few players that know how to have their wizard disappear and reappear (in the same spot) thus getting out of a fight. I have even seen some wizards go through fences as though they were not there. I have yet to learn how to do this (cheat).

I have also seen people go through walls, but I think its only on your screen. In reality they are walking normally, but your screen says they aren't. I know this because I once saw my sister go through a wall on my screen, but when I told her she said she was walking normally, and that I had gone through a wall.

As for dissapearing and reappearing, all they are doing is logging out and back in. It is apparently easy for you to do that, because it doesn't count as a flee so you dont lose mana, and you can keep doing what you wanted to without having to lose health. But I wouldnt suggest this way because most of the time it's really hard to log back in without getting into another battle, with maybe even harder monsters. (Trust me, I had a really bad experience with that in MooShu.) And plus, if someone else joins your battle and you log out, then first of all it still lets other monsters join and second you have to wait till they're done battling before you can log back in, otherwise you'll end up counting as another person. (Like if there was you and some other guy, you'd have three monsters. If you logged out and back in, then there'd be four monsters for two people. That is, assuming you aren't in a place like Unicorn Way. Then you'd have three monsters.)
But anyway, I hope this explains those "cheats" to you.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2008
The whole point to the Sunken City is that it isn't safe! Yes you get pulled in off the sidewalks no matter where you are. The difference here vs. anywhere else is the the monsters DO NOT re-spawn once they are killed in the Sunken City. Also it is possible to be on the sidewalk and "creep" behind monsters. There were only 2 spots in the Sunken City where I was actually pulled in off the sidewalk.

And for those of you who will take it here, ITS NOT A CHEAT. It's just knowing how to control your wizard and knowing how close you can be to monsters.

Heather Ravenblood
Level 46, Death/Life
UGH... STILL waiting for Dragonspyre...

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
WarlockWiz wrote:

Whrn i get pulled in a battle i press Esc then quit wait a bit and choose my character

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
I love seeing this to be honest. Because maybe if we get enough wizards to complain they may help us out soon. who knows lol. i know this sounds silly, but i waited until i was level 26 to enter sunken city, i have found a way not to get pulled it, yes it takes longer, and there are nervous runs. but i go through it just fine. Number one thing is when your doing any quests beyond wizard city is.. DO NOT WEAR A PET, for some reason your pet is apart of you. and if it goes in the street while you are on the sidewalk, even if its in the air.. lol that means your in the street too. No one can fuss with this concept because ive tested it multiple times not only with myself but others as well. Pets are cute and most can help you out with health and mana and cards even but when it comes to trying not to get caught they are no help lol. ive learned in sunken city that the doorways are partial safe zones, and grass are safe zones. if you go to a doorway and stand still they cant get you. if they do its a glitch or the game just decided to bully you, lol i dont know. All i know this is what i did and i survived, yah it took me almost an hour to do it but i didnt get into battle until i reached the bosses. And orca.. some players do not want to get into a battle and FLEE definately when you are in a instanced level and you have gotten so far you leave that area, you have to start all over again. If your in Marleybone, and your just one rooftop away from the boss, but you get grabbed but you didnt want to. yes you can log out and log in but most times it doesnt work cause those things just come out of no where constantly, its hard to escape the wooden clock things and the bugulars cause they run fast like we do. If you decide to flee because you can not face them in battle and/or do not wish to battle it sends you to safety and now you have to go throught that maze of avoiding all those goons once more and still get caught. It would just be nice, if there was some way we could not come in combat with them unless we needed to or wanted to. this will make it lots more fun, and i am sure alot of wizards would agree. Would also be cool if they came up with like an item like an invisablity cloak that you can wear and run free.. run into them and all and they go right through you and not drag you into a battle you did not want nor needed. :)

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
I, for one, would probably stop playing this game if they made it so you have to run up to a monster and press X or click on them in order to initiate combat.

It just leads to the idea of:

Hostile Mean Krok and you are right in front of him in the middle of the street!
You just stand there.
He keeps on walking, ignoring you because... why? You're trespassing and earlier all the NPCs said that the Kroks had ambushed them and were constantly attacking.

I let the sidewalk thing break this little rule because otherwise it would be impossible to get anywhere. I very rarely get pulled into random battles when running anywhere (even when I'm flitting around the streets eating up all the health and mana spirits / picking up quest collection items that aren't all on the sidewalk).

How do I do this? I'm good at aggro-dodging. From battling them I know how far I must be in order for them to go "GET OVER HERE!" and yank me into combat, so I know how to walk around them and such.

It's actually a fun game of Frogger for me when I have to cross the street or ninja through to get the elusive mana ball.

Also, it's a fine art to be able to (once passed Wizard City where you start getting +1 mobs in initial combat) run up behind a monster in just a way so that it pulls that single monster into a combat zone that's behind you and gives you one or two free turns before a second one shows up. It's fun.

Having to run up and hit X or click would destroy that. Also:

How dangerous would the cities and streets be if you could 100% avoid battles? That's... sort of boring-- scratch that -- it IS boring.

Also there are boss fights where the only reason you have to defeat them is so you can interact with an item around the room.

Sunken City is a dungeon! It's supposed to be done with more than one person. It breaks some of the rules but not all, there are a few scripted street battles (for example: the first one with the three ghosts) that happen automatically no matter where you are. But other than those few scripted battles I was able to travel on the sidewalk easily and skip 90% of the monsters in there.

This is not "helping us", this is changing the game to easy mode.

If you are getting pulled into battles while firmly on the sidewalk in normal areas it means that your computer probably lagged. You position is stored server side, while your game client shows you differently. If your connection lags even a bit, your position server side will be different than your position client side.

This means that your screen will show you being on the sidewalk, but on the server it has you as being a couple feet off of it, in fact, right next to that monster that "pulled you off the sidewalk".

I enjoy how the battles are set up right now, actually, as I always enjoyed Frogger and it's fun having my friends wait for me to tell them when to charge on our voice system so that we only pull in one mob for the initial few rounds to gain up Pips before the other monsters leap into combat.

Victoria RoseHeart
Life Binder
~Servers Subject to Change~

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Ok you make a good point, but we ALL know that is the purpose of the game, not EVERYONE has a great computer. Sure it would get annoying to have to run up to each monster and ask them to fight but then again you pick the selected monster that you need. We all love the thrill that the game is both fun and challenging at the same time, and sometimes suprises us, those are all good things. Ok, so lets not have to ask them for battle, maybe wizard101 can make more safe spots that we will be able to hop into to rethink about our next move. NOT all of us are street ninja's, NOT all of us can manuver fast enough to run away from these things. Keep the streets the way they are with all these random monsters for those who are ninja's and are skilled enough to move around easily and are fast thinkers with computers that dont lag their game. But for those few individuals whos' computers lag them, and they may not be highly skilled and can dodge and cheat the game, to simply make more safe zones for the higher levels in the game. That is what he is trying to get to (the guy who started this message board), So before anyone sits there and tries to prove a point of "oh lets not make this game easier that would be boring", it doesnt have to be easier for you, just the people that want a bit of help achieving their quests.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2008
Explorer
Apr 17, 2009
While I do understand what every one is trying to state, when my computer laggs I sometimes get into a battle I do not want to. But, the point is battles are meant to in some form be forced. In sunken city, kensington ave. and other instances it is meant to be difficult. In other areas it just forces the player to be on his or her toes. If they made it an optional thing the concept would be lost and so would the challange. To me this idea does not sound right.

Just my two cents.