Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Empower and Critical Hit

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
I've been playing around with Empower a bit with all the new spells, but this spell is on the way to being obsolete. Currently if you have it cast normally you take a 500 hit to health for 3 pips. It's the only spell that doesn't give a corresponding bonus if you hit Critical. If it crits you take 1000 damage and still get 3 pips. Similar spells that give you a bonus for the risk are:

~sacrifice
~immolate

Could the game devs take a look at this spell? I think it could be a valuable part of your spell deck with CL, but right now the risk/reward seems to be skewed.

Possible solutions? Halve the damage of the initial hit? Make the Critical bonus 3 power pips, or 6 pips? Would appreciate hearing some feedback on this.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
wow, i didn't even think about critical doing more damage when using something like empower. i usually just heal with a healing spell, but I'm glad I didn't use empower because I'd kill myself.. lol- I have a lot of critical damage too- so i guess we have a few spells we won't be able to use if we plan on doing critical damage.. Awesome post- thanks for making me aware of this.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Yes sir, you noticed it too, uh?

Try Sacrifice and doing a Critical on yourself, with buffs to your hits, but the shielding cut back after you advanced past the Grand Gear.

See, with Skeletal Dragon, no more health coming back. So I thought, OK, put Sacrifice back in the deck.

By the way, the suggested way to use the spell is with no Blades, and Death Shield on yourself. As you may guess, this is pretty hard to do.

I suggest you check out the spell Empowerment, Star School I think, but you have to be level 58. When you get hit with a 4 or more pip spell, you get a pip. And whatever your power pip rating is, that is your chance of getting a power pip. So if its 100%, basically you get a yellow pip. Its a zero pip spell and it lasts for 4 rounds.

I only got one chance to try it out (farming for Stone Blocks and pet training), but I easily cleared out the Sharks at the entrance to the trainer, using Death Blade, Empowerment, and Scarecrow and occasional Fortify. No need for Feint or Spirit Blade chewing into your pips. At one point I fizzled and hit the 14 pip limit. It was that good.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
Speaking of Empower, when I was doing the Lunarium and I was battling a Stellar Protector, he used Empower on himself and killed himself LOL got me an easy win.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Haha, that happened to me with Immolate too. I used it on a person in pvp and I got a critical with it too. So it hit me like 230 instead of 100. My gear saved me though. It would of done over 600. With the 53% Resist of Fire, the Immolate didn't really hurt me, but it hurt the other player at the other end of the Spell. LOL

~Mark Rubythief Lvl 60 Pyromancer~
"Light a Fire in your Heart"

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Another comment. Since Empower and Sacrifice are odd number pips spells, you have a likely hood of casting when you have no white pips, so they become like two and four pip spells.

One of the good points of Empower was with the white pips it gives, it could let you use spells from other schools, for instance, I got this Crown coat from Malistaire that gives Triton and global shielding, I could use that against something with Death Shield. Small problem is its high fizzle rate, I was thinking maybe back it up with a hatched pet, a Grimzilla. Just a thought. Of course, since these spells don't give health back, it better be a good hit!

I have thought of getting rid of everything Critical, stop using the wand I got on Celestia and go back to those "Coven" level 45 wands.

I have not sorted this out either, because it seems to me, that to use Skeletal Dragon I am going to need another way to heal. Seems the trick is hit with the Dragon and hope you get some healing to show up. Also train that Jellyfish and pray it gets Spritely. Another idea is intentionally aim for clothes that give less power pips and more health and more hit power, then keep in Life Sprite in the deck. But then it may take more than 4 rounds to build up for the Dragon again. :( Back in the day I liked that Sprite spell, one pip, you can cast it on anybody and keep them alive, does what 365 over time. Enough to heal without giving away the farm.