Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pips or mana

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 17, 2010
so recently i have been having some trouble deciding what is more important to have. Currently i am level 33 and have a 39% of getting a power pip each round. I also have 138 mana. I could have more but this is where i'm questioning things. Is it worth sacrificing mana for power pip chance? any advice on this?
some basic questions about this on my mind are
whats a good percentage to have at level 33
whats a good mana amount at this level?
whats more important?
whats worth sacrificing for the other?
and just some other info if you could. thank you!

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
In my view, Pip % is more important as it determines how often/quickly you can cast during a battle.

With low mana, you can always drop a teleport marker and go back to the starting location of a world and grab more mana wisps, between battles. But there's no alternatives to pips.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
jerbear1313 wrote:
so recently i have been having some trouble deciding what is more important to have. Currently i am level 33 and have a 39% of getting a power pip each round. I also have 138 mana. I could have more but this is where i'm questioning things. Is it worth sacrificing mana for power pip chance? any advice on this?
some basic questions about this on my mind are
whats a good percentage to have at level 33
whats a good mana amount at this level?
whats more important?
whats worth sacrificing for the other?
and just some other info if you could. thank you!

I never really cared for the mana boosts. I used to always just get whatever gave me the most health. I would get the extra power-pip chance if I were you. But it's your choice.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
It depends on your play style. Count the pips required for your favorite combo.

Let us say I am a level 35 death, and I love blade-trap-vampire combo. This means in 3 turns I need 4 pips, so a 34% pip chance is called for.

I am a slightly higher level Life, and like to cast centaur with a blade and a trap, I need a higher pip chance so I can get those 6 pips asap (a 50% pip chance should get them in 4 rounds).

Now, let us say you are the same death player, and you determine you need to have 5 battles before refilling mana, it would cost you 8/battle, or 40 mana, modifing for fizzle, 50 mana. You need to determine how long you wish to go between refills.

Note, for both these schools I relax the amount of health the items bring, as these schools have easy ways around the health problem.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2010
so basically since i am an ice wizard health is also important to me. My strategy usually is ice trap-ice blade-balefrost-ice wyvern. and i'll use two balance spells for another ice trap and blade too if they happen to appear. my schools trap doesnt cost anything and i cant utilize power pips for balance spells so just looking over these facts i'm kinda getting the impression i should focus more on health/mana and my current 40% chance is good enough for now. Sound about right?