Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Skeletal Dragon: The unfairness to Death

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
Hey I was playing the game all happy and excited due to me being level 53 because i am closer to the level 58 spell! My best friend teleported to me while i was battling some sharks and he cast a Skeletal Dragon. And it didn't hit all enemies like the Fire Dragon spell! Unfair!!!! We Necromancers get only one hit at the enemy! Pyromancers get to hit all enemies but not us! Plus our Scarecrow only hits 400! We already have a weaker attack on Scarecrow. A wraith is more powerful that Scarecrow. I demand we get the Skeletal Dragon spell changed to a hit to one enemy to all enemies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
I've never seen the Skeletal Dragon, but normally the One-hit attacks are more powerful than the all-enemy attacks. Was that this case with the SD, that it's attack is more powerful than the Fire Dragon ?

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Skeletal dragon is the level 58 spell for Necromancers. The Pyromancer level 58 spell is Efreet - which also only hits one target.

Fire Dragon is the level 48 Pyromancer spell - yours is called Scarecrow, and hits all enemies, just like the Fire Dragon.

Historian
May 15, 2009
lol its initial attack is 200 and it deals 800 damage over 3 rounds
plus damage bonus+ blades+traps+the chance of critical= a very dangerous card get over it dude
you cant DEMAND kings isle to do anything
its their game, they made the skeletal dragon like this to help balance out the game

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I kinda agree with this, because our spell is very similar to the snow angel and it hits all enemies too?? It's a cool spell though - we do have scarecrow and it does do okay damage with blades and traps- but yeah i agree with you somewhat.

Defender
May 31, 2010
One of my favorites wizards to play is death. When I first got the new level 58 death spell, I was a little disappointed. Since I mostly use steal health spells, and poison to knock off those shields. But after realizing that blades will not only add to the initial hit, but also every one of the over time hits, It has become very helpful in taking down those Life npcs. A good friend who plays PvP frequently with his ice wiz , also told me he is running into some problems now with this new death spell, and is trying to learn a better way to avoid it.

Give the spell try, blade up first , see what happens. Think you might enjoy the results you see.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I don't even use leviathan as a storm spell now as its single hit, kills no better than a triton, and costs more pips. Don't complain too much about skeletal dragon, it still is better than myth's medusa.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
hmm. If my opponent has a death shield or a tower shield up, my wraith's damage is pitiful. If I poison them, the shield lowers the inital hit, but the shield does not reduce the damage over time. Further, the d.o.t. hits them before they can cast another shield, and I can wand away any shield they do cast before the d.o.t. hits them again. I assume skeletal dragon works like a larger version of the poison spell.

The reason scare crow's damage is so low: drain spells deal less damage than their counterparts in other schools, because they heal you. When you are draining multiple targets you can easily fully heal yourself in one attack.
please tell me you arn't using scarecrow in 1v1...

Infact, scarecrow and skeletal dragon both benefit from a blade heavy deck.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
To elaborate a bit more: Skeletal Dragon needs to be treated like the Pyromancer's AOEs. Which means that you blade yourself with everything you can get your grubby hands on, don't bother too much with traps (they will disappear in the first round, anyway), and then fire away.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
nilrem100,

Death Blade, Death Trap, Curse, Feint, Cast Skeletal Dragon. During each of the next 2 or 3 turns cast a Feint each time.

You can boost Skeletal Dragon with Gargantuan and lower too.

For anyone who is interested, they should call it the Skeletal Drake because that's what it is, a Drake skeleton because I had to gather up the bones for this spell in the level 58 quest and since it only included Drake bones then it has be be a Drake.

If you really want to bust out or just show off:

Death Blade
Death Trap
Curse
Feint
Spirit Blade
Spirit Trap
Treasure Card Feint
Treasure Card Death Trap, both 30% and 40%
Treasure Card Spirit Blade
Treasure Card Spirit Trap

If you have Death Blade treasure card NEVER use it, it's a very rare card so keep that tucked away.

If you just really want to bomb some NPC for fun or a video then have a Death School friend put the same spells on the enemy as in the above list (even better if they are Balance School as a second because they can use Hex and put Balance Blade on you)

Don't forget your chance at getting a Critical cast too, lol.

Happy Skeletal Drake casting.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Call me stew pet, but it would seem to me that you would want to throw on the Curse, Feint, Death Traps after the first hit.

Or, throw on a barrage of the same kind of ward (Death Trap or Curse, since they are zero pip), since they DON'T stack, then cast the Feints when the DOT is going. I believe Myth as to do that with Minotaur, put down two traps. So load the deck with Death Traps only, say.

Check this out though. Go try the new spell Empowerment, and get yourself in the first slot in a battle in Celestia (important!). Empowerment (not Empower) gives you a pip for each time you get hit with a 4 or more pip spell. Cast Scarecrow. You get the attention of all the monsters, they hit YOU, so if its three players, you could get up to 4 yellow pips! Cast a Death Blade or Spirit Blade, and next round you are ready to hit again! At one point I had a full house of pips, I could not get the Scarecrows to show up fast enough! And since you keep on crowing them, they keep on hitting you! Its wild! You really need to load the deck up with Empowerment, Crow, and Death Blade, and chuck out everything else, like traps, feint, curse. I dare say, its better than Skeletal whatever! It seems to me that Death with its Scarecrow is ideally suited to take advantage of Empowerment, since we get health back. But keep in mind, the monsters have to hit you with 4+ pip spells. I was trying it in Grand Chasm Past, and you just don't get hit hard enough, I was better off chucking Death Traps on them.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
It does 1010, and your upset it doesn't mob?

So you mean the damage it does first then leaves a death aura? All that together does 1010 DAMAGE?! Didn't know that. So i agree with you, be glad getting skeletal dragon does that much. Think about it, someone regenerates, then you skeletal dragon, and there regenerate doesnt really work as much. Even though scarecrow does 400, thats on all the enemies, so thats 400x4 which is 1600. So don't complain as much, be happy for what you get.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
:(When i got to lvl 58 on my death wizard i got sad. I wish skeletal dragon would just hit 1,000 and that it or just attack all enemys with attacks over time. I wish they can change that spell :( :(

Austin ShadowHammer Legendary Death
Boris Iceshard Legendary Ice
Mark ThunderHammer Magus Storm

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
Lol hahahahaha lol not being mean but i think its funny but fire dragon is epic i get it too do 1800 easily without a critical but its your fault for getting dragon bones and doing that yes i saw the quest you have too go collect some drake bones but hahahaha level 60 pyromancer hahahahahahaha

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Sparks199 wrote:
:(When i got to lvl 58 on my death wizard i got sad. I wish skeletal dragon would just hit 1,000 and that it or just attack all enemys with attacks over time. I wish they can change that spell :( :(

Austin ShadowHammer Legendary Death
Boris Iceshard Legendary Ice
Mark ThunderHammer Magus Storm

Skeletal Dragon does hit over a 1,000, how can you be upset it does not mob as I said before.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2009
I think skeletal dragon does a bit too much damage for a death all enemies spell. But I must admit, the animation scares the heebie -jeebies out of me!

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i am a Pyromancer and my level 58 spell only hit one enemy as does
your Skeletal Dragon.

the dragon you are refering to is like your scarcrow it hit all enemies and it leave a diamond that hits the enemy on each new turn ...

but your crown drain life from enemy and then gives it to you to rebuild your health.

nowhere does any Pyromancer have that advantage we must rely on life spells or a generous Necromancer to sacrifice for us
so think about the spells and levels before you start comparing them and you will see Death has a lot of advantages over most everyone else.

one thing ....

Learn to use Combos!

that is where you get the huge difference.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
It is a MAJOR pain that death only gets ONE attack all spell. The one spell of course is scarecrow and it can't be boosted (for obvious reasons). Death really does need an attack all spell that can be boosted. I would prefer the skeletal dragon attack all and do lower damage, if necessary. It's great for boss battles and probably in PvP, but the majority of time spent questing is against street mobs. It would be really great to be able to do more damage in such situations.

If not, I really hope that when the level cap is next increased and we get new spells, that death will get a boostable attack all spell like all of the other schools. :D

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
OK mistake in a previous post, Empowerment gives you a white pip, not a yellow pip.

Death really does need an attack all spell that can be boosted.

You are correct that you can't boost Scarecrow with Sun school spells, and it had me mad for quite some time too. But with high level gear on Celestia, critical hits, and the zero pip Death Blade treasure card from the sickle plant, and maybe Death Giver from the Jellyfish pet you will get, its not bad. Roll with what you got. I bet KI realized they made a mistake with Death, and had to level the playing field some.

Really, Scarecrow is one heck of a spell. How many times have I been in the first slot, gone from almost dead with four monsters, to no monsters and full health, ready for the next battle, and everyone else in slots 2, 3, and 4 saying, oh, I need health?

I have learned to accept that Skeletal Dragon is "special needs" spell, and the best way to use it, especially since I messed up and don't have enough training points to get to the 225 Gargantuan, is to buy the 250 Garg for 500 gold at the Archivist, enchant a bunch up and keep them in the side deck. Then craft the Level 55 hat and coat and boost accuracy to 95% on all death spells, and don't use any Sun spells in your normal deck, the better to make sure that Death Blade has a better chance of showing up.

or a generous Necromancer to sacrifice for us

LOL don't count on me, I took that spell out of the deck, too dangerous with critical hits and the gear boosts! The 700 stayed 700! Best bet is let the Necromancer go first, and toss a shield his way now and then.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
Death is a solo wizard. All good necromancers know this. In a group, if I will be able to make a healing hit, I prefer to go first because I can more easily heal then others in the group. However, if I believe I will not get a hit, e.g., there is a storm in the group (not bashing storm), then I do not go first. I will not sacrifice myself that way. With Skeletal Dragon, you have to be careful, you will not get a heal. And btw, I have legendary wizards in all schools so I understand how each can hit.

I also understand that crow heals us and that is wonderful. If you want that ability, then make a death wizard. However, when comparing Fire Dragon and Scarecrow, Fire Dragon can have strength added to it, Scarecrow (and wraith) cannot. When it comes to damage, death has become the weaker school and that disheartens me. I love love my death wizards, they are my favorites to play (except in groups at CL now). There is nothing like soloing a long tower and leaving with good health and all health potions full LOL.

Others can hit faster then we can, as it takes many blades and traps and aruras to become as effective because they can add strength their main spells, except for Nova which was made up for with the creation of Ra. Life has Forest Lord (thank you KI), Myth has Earthquake or Frog (take your pick), Storm has Storm Lord or Tempest (take your pick), Fire has Fire Dragon, Scald, Meteor (take your pick), Ice has Frost Giant, Angel, Blizzard (take your pick), Balance has Ra (thank you KI). All these can have strength added to them thus allowing for a faster hit and potentially lowering the chance that the player will get hit. Death has Scarecrow, period. To make an effective hit on an average CL mob, you need several blades and traps, the numbers depending on your combination. The quickest would be to just blade with about 3-4 blades (regular, single treasure, tri's and treasure tri's). Meanwhile, a gragantuan Forest Lord with one blade just clean out the mob. I know, I've done it lol.
Just my opinion and thanks.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008

OK Everyone, I'm a fellow Necromancer of the spiral, and I HAPPENED to notice this forum. Well I read a little and blew in. Skeletal Dragon is the best thing that ever happened to me, with Sebastion my fierce hound, of course.

Typical Mob: A death blade spirit blade crow.
Boss no minions: Death blade x2 Spirit blade x2 7 power pips. Then 2 Skeletal dragons in a row take him out.
Boss minions: Bladed Crow Bladed Dragon
Oh and I usually end up healer.

P.S. I don't have star magic. if you do i recommend it. Since u start with 2 power pips, you use Death blade 3 power pips then a spirit blade 3 power pips. WHAT DO YOU DO IN THAT TIME? star magic. I think I've gotta at least get the one that boosts strength.

-Lauren FrostTail 60Death
-Lauren BlueLeaf 50Ice
-And a few other wizards-

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
typical mob 2 blades and a crow? you certainly arent talking about celestia. There are maybe one or two storm mobs that have that low of points, otherwise you are going to be casting a couple and taking a lot longer to kill than prettymuch anyone else in game.

I wish for the new spell, that it had been either a group dot or better yet a single drain. The Main unique characteristic for death, in my opinion, is the drain. other classes have big hits, groups, dots, heals etc and they have modifiers for it that we do not for our unique spells. Life can increase heals with their AOE spell, a couple of different guidance and increase their heal in a major fashion. Storm, Fire etc can AOE's and gargantuan and so forth to increase their specialized spell. Our highest spell now is not a specialized spell. others have dots, and the fire ones do a better job than ours in my opinion since you can not only blade and trap and gargantuan it, but aoe to boost it.

We cannot boost with gargantuan the main spell that truly differentiates us as a class from other classes and that is drain. What we have is a dot that is a lot of pips to cast to damage one mob, and then wait for it to die over 3 rounds. Fire's efreet puts a 90 curse on it so no problem there. Storm, with gargantuan is up past 1200 and heading to 1300 and strips blades. The other classes got some very nice group attacks. For us its just a big solo dot that we need to stay alive for while it does its work, and we may as well be calling ourselves fire. In fact, i will put all my fire blades, traps, and AOE on and see how it does compared to the new death one, and death may do more but it wont be a lot more and it wont be group.

This spell does nothing to celebrate the uniqueness of the death class, that being to drain/heal. Im not asking for a 1000 drain, but a 700 to 750 or so would have been nice.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Seriously am a big death school fan, and i love all the death spells even the ones people dont use. The Death Dragon is an awesome spell, if your in PVP! otherwise (beside showing off) there is no need for it.

Death wizards are know for doing weak attack with out their blades and traps, althought death dragon fixes that problem by doing 1010 damage (not counting any boost what so ever) It doesnt help us much, due to the follwoing.

1) We are used to our weak attacks but great side effects of healing. Our decks are construct around that and so is our skills due to the fact that, we are used to healing in such ways ever since we were Novice Wizards. Seriously let us have it!

2) Death loves to take (life) from others (even says so in death school chalk board), scarecrow may be weak but we use it as super healing spell.(rarely for killing), so scarecrow cant kill anything much. :(, so we need a spellthat can attack and heal!

3) In celestia, enemies come in packs of 2+, we dont have pips (8) to waste on one enemy attack, while we are being hit by critical storm lords thats stuns us. and the attack doesnt even use our healing abilities.

4) Every other school level 58 spells remains fit to their effects, or became better why cant we?

Balance- You still cant block Ra with out tower shield, and attacks all enemnies (Talk about a nightmare)

Storm- They can hit over a thousand, and now they can take away your blades. (Just got better)

Fire- Epic amount of damage, and you cant do a big attack after they hit you with Efret due to -90% weakness (Sweet move)

Ice- Finally has a high damage attack worth lookin at, and attacks all enemies (Super sweet)

Life- They needed that attacking spell (This was a must!)

Myth- They can noow stun for 2 rounds! (Scares me in Pvp)

Death- DOT (this is fire's talent, give it back to them), DOT is good for breaking shields.

So you see, the effect given to death, simply doesnt belong to them.

I persnally say to you KI, please consider remaking the death skeleton into a healing spell, it is simply what death wizards love. It is what we are used to and it is what we know ever since we were Novice. Please at least consider having a poll on this, Thank You.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
EliteKen wrote:
Seriously am a big death school fan, and i love all the death spells even the ones people dont use. The Death Dragon is an awesome spell, if your in PVP! otherwise (beside showing off) there is no need for it.

Death wizards are know for doing weak attack with out their blades and traps, althought death dragon fixes that problem by doing 1010 damage (not counting any boost what so ever) It doesnt help us much, due to the follwoing.

1) We are used to our weak attacks but great side effects of healing. Our decks are construct around that and so is our skills due to the fact that, we are used to healing in such ways ever since we were Novice Wizards. Seriously let us have it!

2) Death loves to take (life) from others (even says so in death school chalk board), scarecrow may be weak but we use it as super healing spell.(rarely for killing), so scarecrow cant kill anything much. :(, so we need a spellthat can attack and heal!

3) In celestia, enemies come in packs of 2+, we dont have pips (8) to waste on one enemy attack, while we are being hit by critical storm lords thats stuns us. and the attack doesnt even use our healing abilities.

4) Every other school level 58 spells remains fit to their effects, or became better why cant we?

Balance- You still cant block Ra with out tower shield, and attacks all enemnies (Talk about a nightmare)

Storm- They can hit over a thousand, and now they can take away your blades. (Just got better)

Fire- Epic amount of damage, and you cant do a big attack after they hit you with Efret due to -90% weakness (Sweet move)

Ice- Finally has a high damage attack worth lookin at, and attacks all enemies (Super sweet)

Life- They needed that attacking spell (This was a must!)

Myth- They can noow stun for 2 rounds! (Scares me in Pvp)

Death- DOT (this is fire's talent, give it back to them), DOT is good for breaking shields.

So you see, the effect given to death, simply doesnt belong to them.

I persnally say to you KI, please consider remaking the death skeleton into a healing spell, it is simply what death wizards love. It is what we are used to and it is what we know ever since we were Novice. Please at least consider having a poll on this, Thank You.

You failed to mention that the ice level 58 spell is also DoT. Other schools have had DoTs since Thunder Elf and Ice Elf. In case you haven't noticed the death spells went back and forth between normal damage and drain damage. Scarecrow broke this pattern, so the even ranked spells will now be damage and the odd ranked spells drain. It is an extremely useful high damage death spell even in PvE. Good for those Life and Ice monsters.

Quinn Deaththorn - Legendary Necromancer