Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gardening Pros & Cons

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
This topic is to discuss the new expansion gardening coming very soon to Wizard101. I will talk mainly about the pros and cons while everyone else can say whatever they please, but please, do stay on topic. Please not: This expansion is still subject to change.
This expansion will share pet energy will now be renamed "energy." The maximum amount of energy has been raised to 40 at the beginning of the game and will raise by 1 every even numbered level. (Every 2 levels!) Yes, that's 70 energy at level 60, quite a bit. You do not have to share this energy between pets and gardening, meaning, you may focus all 70 points on one subject if you please. (Pets or gardening!)
Gardening will take up housing space. It will be 2 housing spaces per plant. One for the pot and/or plot, and one for the plant itself.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
So far on the test it seems to be working, and from the changes they have made they seem to be listening.

1) This will not be for everyone.
---Times to first harvest can be as much as 70+hrs (~3days) for first level plants.
---Expenses end up far more than value recieved for first level plants.
---Time necessary is more than some wish. I now log onto test at least 3 times a day to tend to my grove.

2) Don't overplant unless you wish to spend crowns. I have a garden of about 35 plants. This morning I had to buy energy just to tend to all their needs...this isn't the first time I have done so. Note: this is with the expanded power.

3) Big House needed: To do more than token gardening, you will need space and outdoor slots for your plants.

4) Use the Gnomes!

Explorer
Dec 15, 2009
Pro: its really fun and you get cool stuff.
Con: the prizes arent worth it

i think there should also be a very small chance of getting pets or even houses

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Regular Seeds I recommend:
Honey Sickle - Rank 1 Medium Plot - Gives 5XP Mature (50 Elder)
Harvest - Can give Treasure Blades

Stinkweed - Rank 2 Small Plot - Gives 5XP Mature (50 Elder)
Harvest - Can give Smoke Screen and Poison Treasures

BREAD FRUIT BUSH - Rank 3 Large Plot - Gives 2XP Mature (20 Elder)
Harvest - Can give GOLDEN WHEAT BREAD Mega Snack

Crowns Seeds I recommend:
Pink Dandelion - Rank 1 Small Plot - Gives 20XP Mature (200 Elder)
Harvest - Can give High Level Reagents (Black Pearl, Blood Moss, Etc)

Silver Trumpet Vine - Rank 4 Medlium Plot - Gives 300XP Mature (3,000 Elder)
Harvest - Can give CLEANSE CHARM Treasure

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
the shared energy thing is a major deal breaking problem for me as I don't ever have pet energy now since I keep trying to train better pets, though I could train on some characters and garden on others it is a bit far fetched to assume and pretty much require those who only have one character to create multiples to do this

solution: either create a seperate plant energy globe or fill the energy ball with 5 energy points per PvP match played and won regardless of whether it is ranked or not. As a member I actually enjoy playing non ranked PvP more than ranked PvP and I see no reason why I can't earn energy points by playing non-ranked PvP. If players could build up their energy by playing PvP more people would play PvP to do just that, and new life would be brought into PvP.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
I haven't tried Gardening yet, I admit. But it looks fun so far.
Now, my comments to the OP's post:

Energy Usage: The minimum amount of energy has been boosted (sweet!). Even though it's shared, it's only so many times a day I can manage to Dance or shoot my pet out of a cannon without going nuts - having something else to use my energy on would be nice.

Housing Space: You know, I'm pretty cool with plants using up 2 housing slots (I can imagine that it's one slot for the pot/dirt, and one slot for the plant itself). I've still got 20 slots left in my House, but it is literally physically impossible to cram another piece of furniture in (or at least it will be impossible to move if you did that). People will already have to make a space for their garden, and if you already have 150-200 outdoor items... Face it, you got an addiction to tiny items. Or pets.

Community Leader
Pros- We get to have living gardens in our wizard101 house, Imagine having a jungle with wild animals and living plants ;). You also get some added extra rewards. Its a wonderful addition to housing :D.

Cons-
Energy-Well only if you want a large garden this is a con. Mostly because of how many pests you can get in large gardens, pest control cost much energy.
(Smaller gardens can do just fine with the energy you are given, at level 20 you can have 5 plants easy and still train a pet with a couple mini games.)

Pests- I believe a rank1 gardener should not be able to get rank 2 pests. As you are unable to train the spell yet. Same goes for other ranks ect...

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
bravevline wrote:
This topic is to discuss the new expansion gardening coming very soon to Wizard101. I will talk mainly about the pros and cons while everyone else can say whatever they please, but please, do stay on topic. Please not: This expansion is still subject to change.
This expansion will share pet energy will now be renamed "energy." The maximum amount of energy has been raised to 40 at the beginning of the game and will raise by 1 every even numbered level. (Every 2 levels!) Yes, that's 70 energy at level 60, quite a bit. You do not have to share this energy between pets and gardening, meaning, you may focus all 70 points on one subject if you please. (Pets or gardening!)
Gardening will take up housing space. It will be 2 housing spaces per plant. One for the pot and/or plot, and one for the plant itself.

It seems like a fun idea, gardening, but I won't be doing it in the live realm. I dont like the fact it shares the energy and it is a bit cumbersome to use.

ellie

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
I really love the new gardening! The plants are really fun, have great animations and it is a well put together system for leveling and tending the plants.

Pros-cute plants, fun rewards (it may not exactly = as much as you paid for the seed, but for some it is and certainly it is totally fun to be rewarded so much for somethign I would probably do anyway just to "see my garden grow")
-adds to stuff to do at my houses--I'm all about housing anyway, so this is a huge plus
-always great to have more things to hunt down and farm for and great possibilities for future add ons

Cons-
I really hate the shared energy and refill with crowns only. I never had enough energy for pets anyway and this guarantees I won't be able to train pets anymore. I find it annoying that even though you could potentially have up to 50 plants at a couple houses, you essentially can't do that because it would be too expensive. I'd be willing to pay an extra fee per month for extra energy, but I just can't do daily purchases so will have to limit plants.

Tara