Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Accents

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
As many people have realized, each world has an accent (or accents) that is exclusive to that world for the most part (I'm guessing, so please don't bite my head off):

Wizard City: Newscaster accent (basic English)
Krokotopia: Arabic accent
Marleybone: British accent; 20's gangster accent
MooShu: Asian accent (can't pinpoint the exact country)
Dragonspyre: Eastern European accent

Then comes Celestia, and I start hearing this broken, ridiculous Italian accent. I'm Italian, so I know how they talk and it's nowhere near what those Crabs sound like. To be honest, I'm kinda offended...whose idea was it to attempt Italian accents?

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
As many people have realized, each world has an accent (or accents) that is exclusive to that world for the most part (I'm guessing, so please don't bite my head off):

Then comes Celestia, and I start hearing this broken, ridiculous Italian accent. I'm Italian, so I know how they talk and it's nowhere near what those Crabs sound like. To be honest, I'm kinda offended...whose idea was it to attempt Italian accents?

lol

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Dragonspyre has the stereotypical Russian accent. Mooshu is a blend of ancient Chinese and Japanese culture. And the Italian accents in Celestia are pretty ridiculous sounding .I'm pretty sure that no one in the world talks like that. Surely they didn't mean for it to mock or offend anyone, though.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Dragonspyre is Russian. Trust me i would no. And about the crabs ridicoulus italian accent. I no a bunch of ppl wit Italian ancestry and they all agree, Celestias accent is horrible

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
Dragonspyre has the stereotypical Russian accent. Mooshu is a blend of ancient Chinese and Japanese culture. And the Italian accents in Celestia are pretty ridiculous sounding .I'm pretty sure that no one in the world talks like that. Surely they didn't mean for it to mock or offend anyone, though.

You forgot there's a little Korean thrown into MooShu, and it's Eastern European. There's a reason I said that and not Russian; I'm a ballroom dancer, so I'm a bit of an expert on the Eastern European accents. Considering all the countries in that area KI was pretty on the level with those voice actors. They really hit every other accent on the head or got close, but Celestia was a disgrace. They even captured the Irish accent pretty well with Farley.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Dragonspyre is Russian. Trust me i would no. And about the crabs ridicoulus italian accent. I no a bunch of ppl wit Italian ancestry and they all agree, Celestias accent is horrible

I'm trying to be poltically correct (I know there's some hypocrisy in there somewhere...), so I'll say Eastern European. Plus the Russian accent is a little different.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
catboy2197 wrote:

You forgot there's a little Korean thrown into MooShu, and it's Eastern European. There's a reason I said that and not Russian; I'm a ballroom dancer, so I'm a bit of an expert on the Eastern European accents. Considering all the countries in that area KI was pretty on the level with those voice actors. They really hit every other accent on the head or got close, but Celestia was a disgrace. They even captured the Irish accent pretty well with Farley.

I guess there is a little Korean but mostly Japanese and Chinese. Also, instead of Eastern European you could have just said Slavic. That would have worked. I found the Dragonspyre accents to be a bit exaggerated. I don't really know about the MooShu accents. The Krokotopia accents were pretty accurate as were the Marleybone accents. But the Celestia accent was, like the Dragonspyre accents in my opinion, stereotypical and over-exaggerated.

Explorer
Mar 04, 2009
You have to remember, the only characters with those goofy accents are the crabs. And if you remember the zodiac tome, the crabs are "the many armed fool"

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dradio1 wrote:
You have to remember, the only characters with those goofy accents are the crabs. And if you remember the zodiac tome, the crabs are "the many armed fool"

What does that have to do with anything? Just because they're supposed to be "many armed fools" doesn't really mean they have to talk with half-baked, stereotypical Italian accents.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
I guess there is a little Korean but mostly Japanese and Chinese. Also, instead of Eastern European you could have just said Slavic. That would have worked. I found the Dragonspyre accents to be a bit exaggerated. I don't really know about the MooShu accents. The Krokotopia accents were pretty accurate as were the Marleybone accents. But the Celestia accent was, like the Dragonspyre accents in my opinion, stereotypical and over-exaggerated.

Well, I usually say "Eastern European accent" and "Slavic language", so excuse me, but I'm gonna keep doing so. If you think the Eastern European accents in Dragonspyre are exaggerated, that's your opinion and I hope you have good reason in thinking so. I hear people with these accents all the time and I will swear on a stack of bibles that that's what they sound like. Of course, it's your choice to believe me or not.

Explorer
Nov 14, 2010
Marley Bone is insulting to me because of the British accent that offends me because some of what they are saying is very silly and sometomes immature(Yes the quest with the dog asking to give notes to the people he like) as me being British i find this affending also becuase of the way some of the oLeary talk and because British are very civilized and we either use old english or American English. Also what makes me mad is they never put in a ye or yeh which is how we Brits say ya

Defender
May 25, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:

Exactly, DS is a Russian Accent. I think the "Titans" they are fighting MIGht be the Germans, and this was back in WWII times when it was all war.

Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
What you guys gotta realize, is that none of this stuff was meant to be insulting, and it's only meant in fun. At some point they will throw in an American-ish accent, and then folks will be upset about that too. Just remember, it's only a game, and it's only meant for fun.

Defender
Oct 24, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

i agree oh and btw for DS its kinda russian and for MS they its either chinese or japanese why i know is i have a friend from china and ive been to china town aton and i have a cousion from japan

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Oh, come on, have some fun with it. As with the real world, if everyone spoke the same language with the same accents, don't you think it would be kinda boring? I don't know about you, but my ears perk up when I hear someone from a different country speaking. I love listening to various accents. There is an English lady that comes to my store quite often, and I just adore her accent. The same with an Irish gentleman and a French person. I love listening to them speak. So, just have fun with the game, and remember that it's all in fun. It's only a game, not meant to insult anyone.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
IvoryJade wrote:
Oh, come on, have some fun with it. As with the real world, if everyone spoke the same language with the same accents, don't you think it would be kinda boring? I don't know about you, but my ears perk up when I hear someone from a different country speaking. I love listening to various accents. There is an English lady that comes to my store quite often, and I just adore her accent. The same with an Irish gentleman and a French person. I love listening to them speak. So, just have fun with the game, and remember that it's all in fun. It's only a game, not meant to insult anyone.

I see nothing wrong with having an accent (I'm taking Italian, Spanish, Japanese, and Russian in college, so I have to deal with a lot of them), but to see an accent misrepresented to such an extent is kinda insulting.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
Wizard City- modern day American

Krokotopia- Arabic/Middle Eastern

Marleybone- British/New Jersey

MooShu- Asain

Dragonspyre- Russain

Celestia- Italian/robot

Grizzlehiem- Strong American

Wintertusk- ?

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
But, see, that's just it. I don't think these beautiful languages are being attacked in any way. Think of it this way. Have you ever heard anyone in real life from the Spiral speak? No, of course not, because it doesn't really exist in real life. But you HAVE heard other people from other countries speak in real life. So what KI is doing is taking what we know and love and changing it just a little to fit into the Spiral. That way, it's easier on them than coming up with other languages that don't exist in real life. It's a game. It is what it is.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
As a non professional crab whisper I'll tell ya this is exactly how crabs talk!

Cmon peeps are we really this thin skinned that we are offended by this?

The more you let things bother you the more they will. Kids are only as judgmental as the adult they emulate.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
willwolf64 wrote:

So not true.

Sounds more like Arabic, but I guess you have a point.

They talk differently. The difference is subtle, but trust me.

MooShu- Asain

'Asian'.

Dragonspyre- Russain

'Russian', and it's actually Eastern European.

Celestia- Italian/robot

Robot isn't an accent.

If I remember correctly, there are a lot of characters in Grizzleheim who speak with an accent (Scandinavian if I were to guess).

Wintertusk- ?

Probably the same as Grizzleheim.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
The issue, as I see it, is that none of the accents seem that pure that they can be pinpointed. The closest we have are some from the Marleybonians (as far as I remember, it's Sherlock Bones that is either a true Englishman or excellent at imitating accents), but they still seem quite american-ized. If you're familiar with a lot of languages, it's fairly easy to tell when someone is putting on an accent and when they aren't.

It is something to do with the intonation of certain syllable-combinations that lets you figure out if someone is a native speaker putting on an accent, or not. Krokotopia and Mooshu are both excellent examples of faked accents - by the time Grizzleheim rolled around, they didn't seem to bother much (or they couldn't fake that ridiculous scandinavian accent).

As for the crabs in Celestia, I think it's a bit of a joke. Their accents are so pronounced that they are even WRITTEN - leading me to believe that it is merely another joke about them, just like their constant struggles to appear elegant and regal.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure where the basis of your concern is... If Celestia was an Italian-themed world, I'd see where you're coming from, but it's based off of Atlantis, and I don't know about you, but I've never heard someone from Atlantis talk.

And by the way, a quick Wikipedia search defines Russia as one of the ten countries that makes up Eastern Europe. Just sayin'.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

um, russian accent is low and slow and do the souls of dragonspyre talk low and slow?

Defender
Jan 08, 2010
I lov the accent ideas. I do hope that the new world of Wintertusk has and American accent. And of course since we ammericans talk with different dialects i think in the northern part of wintertusk should spek like the candians ae. and in the middle i think they should have the accent of me like yins in the middle of the u.s. I do feel sorry for this KI but i just love the way yins talk. i think these different dialects of us americans should be positioned appropriately in wintertusk. P.S. i feel left out and as does my son because in a way we are in an entire universe so to speak without any of our "kind" so to speak around us.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
willwolf64 wrote:

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
So not true.

Yes. They have American accents. The Ravenwood students sound like middle schoolers.

willwolf64 wrote:

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Sounds more like Arabic, but I guess you have a point.

It has kind of like a mix.

willwolf64 wrote:

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
They talk differently. The difference is subtle, but trust me.

The dogs have British accents. Some of the cats talk like the stereotypical New Jersey accent.

willwolf64 wrote:
MooShu- Asain

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
'Asian'.

Sorry. Spelling mistake.

willwolf64 wrote:
Dragonspyre- Russain

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
'Russian', and it's actually Eastern European.

Sorry, another spelling mistake. And, enough with this Eastern Europen accent. It's Russian. You might ballroom dance with Eastern Europeans, but I play Call of Duty (whenever I don't play Wizard101). That has LOADS of Russians in it. The accents sound the same. I even know some Russians. They have the same-sounding accent. I know accents when I hear them. I do different accents ALL THE TIME. It's Russian.

willwolf64 wrote:
Celestia- Italian/robot

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Robot isn't an accent.

The robots in Celestia sound metallic. That's a robotic accent.

willwolf64 wrote:

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
If I remember correctly, there are a lot of characters in Grizzleheim who speak with an accent (Scandinavian if I were to guess).

Yes, but the bears have really strong American accents.

willwolf64 wrote:
Wintertusk- ?

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Probably the same as Grizzleheim.

Yeah.