Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gardening!

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Paige MoonShade wrote:
nezby wrote:
i also can not interact with my plants and soon they will be too old.anyone know of a cure for this problem?

There will be icons above your plants that is how you take care of them. You plants have likes and dislikes if you have things around your plant that is likes it grows faster and when its time you will get the X to harvest by simply walking up to it. Some plants also grow slower.

Thanks, they could have simple said, "when plants have zero minutes to harvest, simply get close to it, an "X" will appear, press "X'" to harvest plant. If this does not happen leave your home and then return to reset the location". that would have been better instead of saying interact with it. We been interacting with it since we started planting.

Planting eats your pet energy though and I noticed that it does not replenish when you level up . Not cool, how else are we suppose to refill pet energy without crows?

Survivor
May 14, 2009
I really need help. I bought a new house but when i go to the grass and try to put in soil it just shows up red. Please help me with this. It getting really annoying. Is it the house or what. I have a marleybone house.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2010
cth15 wrote:
Paige MoonShade wrote:
nezby wrote:
i also can not interact with my plants and soon they will be too old.anyone know of a cure for this problem?

There will be icons above your plants that is how you take care of them. You plants have likes and dislikes if you have things around your plant that is likes it grows faster and when its time you will get the X to harvest by simply walking up to it. Some plants also grow slower.

well i cant harvest mine and i have been walking up to it and hiting X a million times and it wont work can somebody help me with this problem

Paige: The only way you can interact and thus harvest your plant is to get an Interaction prompt that requires you to hit "X" on your keyboard similar to the way you interact with a NPC in the game. When the plant is ready to harvest (to check this, run your mouse cursor over it) you will see 0 minutes to harvest and one of those prompts will appear as you get near your plant. Some plants such as the Boom Shroom seem to be ready for harvest everyday and others such as the Desparagus and the Dandylion take longer for the initial and subsequent harvests. Also, the plants "dance" like crazy when they are ready to be harvested! I suggest you spend some time observing your plants and walking around them each time you check on them. I check mine three or four times a day if I can. This helps to keep their needs met (water, music, light, kill bugs, etc.) and also acquaints me with their "behavior." They make the funniest sounds (I especially like the sighing Desparagus lol.) Hope this greens up your thumb. After all, we are all on a major learning curve here.
Cassandra Moonstone
Legendary Necromancer

Survivor
Dec 13, 2010
My issue is that I planted my plants where they can be tended (because when you are casting spells you don't have to be too close), but when I go to harvest, I can't because I can't walk to where they are planted.

Am I doing something wrong? It seems to me that if you can prepare the soil, plant the seed, tend it, and keep it alive and happy until it is mature, you should be able to harvest it. :?

Survivor
Oct 26, 2010
danohi50 wrote:
I purchased a small flower pot and a small plot of soil. While the game allows me to place the pot where I like. It will not allow me to place the siol inside or anywhere near the pot.

The pot comes soil ready. No need to prepare soil in a pot.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
zanecooper wrote:
:? I went to Moolinda Wu and did not get a seed am i doing something wrong?
you have to be higher than lvl 12

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
nezby wrote:
i too wondered this but the little timer tells how long til you can harvest

Survivor
Apr 06, 2010
I harvested my plants and at the last harvest I received a balanceblade treasure card. Where did it go? I looked in my treasure cards and I also looked under the treasure card tab in the gardening section, but it isn't there. Please help!

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
I dont know if this is the problem, but some place even on the grass, you cant put down plants. I dont know why and its like that with eveyr house. I hope this helps but ill try to find another answer.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
gizmo123456789 wrote:
when does gardening come out to wizard101????
sorry but i think that gardening is the stupidest upgrade i have ever seen on this game yet if people want to play farmvile then you should not change your game just to suit them let them play more room on here so please del. this upgrade and lets see more levels instead thank m

Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
Prospector Zeke wrote:
This month brings a little life to the Spiral in the form of Gardening.

To get started on your path to a greener thumb, visit Moolinda Wu in her classroom in Ravenwood if you are level 12 or higher.

Students at Ravenwood can plant and grow amazing plants in their Dorms and Castles! Wizards of all schools can garden, so my hope is that every student will learn the joy of shepherding new life!

A plant's journey of life begins as a seed. There are many types of seeds, each with a different destiny. With enough energy, you can prepare soil of your choice in your Castle (if you have one) or a planter in your dorm. Then you can place the seed into the readied soil. After a time, it will begin to grow. You can shepherd its growth through spells and other means of caring for it, creating an environment for it to thrive.

After you've planted your seed, it starts to grow, from seed to seedling, young plant, mature plant to elder. You can use a number of helpful spells to usher it along as it grows, keeping it healthy and happy.

This is a seedling, the youngest phase of life for a plant. You will need Energy to plant a seed in a planter or the ground. After a seed is planted, you can use plant growth spells on it to help it flourish. Plants require some things to thrive and survive: water, sunshine, pollination, magic and even music.

This is a young plant, in its next stage of life after seedling. You can observe your plant's growth visually and by using some simple spells: The Inspect spell provides you with information about your plant's health and needs. The Plow spell allows you to remove a plant or dirt pile, if you wish to do so. The Revive spell allows you to transform a dead plant into a new seedling, ready to grow once more.

This is a mature plant, in the fullness of its growth. When a plant becomes mature, it can be harvested. You can harvest a plant by interacting with it. Each type of plant yields a different harvest: reagents, pet snacks, gold, treasure cards, or more seeds! You can harvest from a plant as long as it's in its mature stage of life. When a plant is in its mature stage that doesn’t mean that you can harvest it right away or that it’s continually harvestable. It means that once every day or so it will be harvestable so long as it’s in that mature state.

This is an elder plant, the final stage of a plant's life cycle. Many plants won't reach this stage! An elder plant can be harvested one final time, with much greater possible rewards. Once an elder plant is harvested, it disappears and cannot be revived.

I'm sad to say that gardening isn't all nurturing and happiness. Plants endangered by some very real threats.

This plant is wilting. It will die before too long if it is not taken care of. Plants can die if their needs are not met, if they are in surrounded by things they dislike, or if they are killed by pests. Plants have likes and dislikes, things that encourage or discourage their growth. A plant's likes are things it enjoyes being near. These can include other types of plants or gardening items. A plant will flourish if it is near things that it likes, while things it dislikes will cause it to become unhealthy. An important part of gardening is learning how to arrange your plants, and create a healthy garden for them.

This plant is dead. Now all that can be done is to plow it over, or to revive it. The greatest threat to plants are pests. Pests can infest a plant and hinder its growth. If pests are not eliminated, eventually the plant will begin to wilt and die. When a plant is infested by pests, it cannot be harvested. To eliminate pests, you must use pest fighting spells. To eliminate a pest, the spell must be of high enough rank. You can purchase pest fighting spells from vendors throughout the Spiral, or even win them as treasures. It's a sorry state to see plants doing so poorly, but it's important to know what risks there are when gardening.
um, i thought that mole guy was the one who said that stuff.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2009
No matter how many times I leave my home and come back, I can't harvest my plant. It says ready to harvest but I hit "X" when standing on top of the plant and nothing happens. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? Is there a harvest spell that needs to be purchased somewhere? HELP

Survivor
Nov 01, 2009
Gardening is a great idea I think! My only problem though is the garden gnomes. Dandelions like them. I'm afraid of them. I know it sounds silly, but I am. If you could create a lawn flamingo that something goes good with, I would be very happy, because they calm me when I see garden gnomes in gardens. I am NOT kidding! Please consider this! My mom and I consider this a serious issue which if not solved, I'm not sure I will be comfortable with gardening. If this is a bad thread to post this on, feel free to delete this or move it or whatever. But please take this into consideration. :)

~Milokat11

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
danohi50 wrote:
I purchased a small flower pot and a small plot of soil. While the game allows me to place the pot where I like. It will not allow me to place the soil inside or anywhere near the pot.

That's because the pot already has soil in it so your ready to go!
The soil itself is meant to be put outside if you have a house,at least I think it's that way. :)
Hope that helped a little!

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
zanecooper wrote:
:? I went to Moolinda Wu and did not get a seed am i doing something wrong?

No, your doing the right thing, you just need to now go talk to Farley in Golem Court.He'll show you rights and wrongs of planting and give you three free seed packets. Then you can buy pots and learn spells to help your plants grow.
I hope that helped a bit!

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Harvesting solutions:

Harvesting cannot be accomplished if ...

1. The Garden Magic Mode is enabled. If you can cast Garden Magic spells ... you cannot harvest.

2. The Place Object Mode is enabled. If you can move things about the room or take items from your backpack, attic, or bank and place, move, or rotate them in the space, ... you cannot harvest.

3. The plant is not ready to harvest. Most plants "dance" or act much different than normal when they are harvestable. While casting Garden Spells, you can wand over all your plants and the pop-ups will verify how long before they are ready to harvest and whether or not they are ready NOW ... if you are not sure.

4. You cannot get close enough to the plant to physically stand in its dirt. Harvesting is done by hand and your character must be standing REALLY close to the harvestable plant for the interaction box to appear so you can be given the opportunity to type your "X" and gather your rewards. If you cannot stand closer to the plant than you do to activate a Spiral Door ... you cannot harvest.

The easiest solution is to simply open the Garden Spell mode, cast the spells needed to clear all the plant problems and remove their "problem" icons, close the Garden Spell mode ... and walk among, (directly over them is best), your plants typing "X" as instructed.

To the Farmville guy ... in three days of gardening, less than 30 minutes of my real-life time, I have harvested 18 combat related Treasure cards outside of my school, including 3 stuns, that would have cost me 5 figures to buy at the Library (IF they are available to buy there, MANY are not) or taken DAYS of mindless "corpse farming" to acquire otherwise ... I have also harvested a bunch of RARE reagents that even though I don't need them to craft anymore, bring HEFTY prices in gold at the Bazaar ... where there are things I wish to purchase to enhance the power of my characters combat abilities. Gardening is a great addition to Wizard101 and has very little in comparison to do with "other" farming software available elsewhere. Your welcome.

Gnome-o-phobic? Can't speak for the developers, but personally? ... You have no problem with giant purple lizards throwing lightening bolts at you or six story dragons erupting from beneath the earth spewing lava at you AND everybody who knows you, but you cannot walk past a midget statuette, entirely passive by the way, that is dressed more like a Santa Clause elf than one of Tolkein's characters ... without trembling? Hard to take the your comment seriously. And your mother is worried if something is not done you may not be able to participate in the gardening aspects of the game? And substituting pink flamingos (flamingi?) for the dreadful gnomes would solve the issue for you? Tell you what ... at the risk of aggravating an already obvious problem with how much time you are spending with mom, there are most likely a gaggle of pink flamingos around the pool at your local Motel 6. Take her there when you need to "calm yourself" - don't be scared - "They'll leave the light on for ya!".

Survivor
Jan 26, 2010
Hi, maybe im doing it wrong maybe i dont know much but when i try to plant a seed i cant... is there a planting spell or sthg? when i click on the seed and try to put it on the soil i prepared i still have that red cross...
can someone help me plz?
thx
garrett wildrunner

Administrator

Hmmm....It sounds like you know how to cast a soil spell (if growing outside) or buy a flowerpot (growing inside).

Well, then. Each seed requires a certain amount of soil. No more, no less. So, if a seen requires a medium plot of soil, you must have a medium plot (or medium flowerpot) - not a large, not a small.

Plus, some plants also require enchanted soil to grow, instead of normal soil. This requires using an enchanted soil spell (of the correct amount) or an enchanted soil flowerpot, instead of normal ones.

Finally, just like with using spells, the skill to successfully plant a seed depends on your level. Not your wizard level, oh my no - your gardening level. Every seed has a minimum gardening level that you must obtain before the seed can be planted.

All of these restrictions must be met to be able to plant a seed.
If you put your cursor over the seed while in the Gardening menu, a notice will pop up that tell you what size of soil it requires and the gardening level required to plant it. If it also needs enchanted soil to grow, it will mention that. If it doesn't say, then normal soil is fine.

It sounds like a lot, but once you know what to look for it's actually quite easy.

Once you have the right soil and size and gardening level, you just pick up the seed and put it in the soil and it should stay there. Some time, maybe some water. music or sunlight and you should have a nice healthy plant!

I hope that fills in the missing information for you, young student.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jul 20, 2010
How do you rotate the seeds when planting? I would say 50% of the seeds I plant are backwards.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
lordonalot wrote:
How do you rotate the seeds when planting? I would say 50% of the seeds I plant are backwards.

You can't, but it won't matter once they have sprouted, as they will start moving to face you (well, a few, like the fickle pickle turn away).

Survivor
Jun 06, 2010
I think gardening is bugged, i didn't get the free seed packages so i had to buy seeds and now i have harvested my first plant, gotten a card that is nowhere to be found, i must be really stupid or unlucky.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2010
wolf91191 wrote:
No matter how many times I leave my home and come back, I can't harvest my plant. It says ready to harvest but I hit "X" when standing on top of the plant and nothing happens. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? Is there a harvest spell that needs to be purchased somewhere? HELP

You cant be in the gardening tab when you harvest it 8)

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
monique71 wrote:
I think gardening is bugged, i didn't get the free seed packages so i had to buy seeds and now i have harvested my first plant, gotten a card that is nowhere to be found, i must be really stupid or unlucky.

Not every Elder plant you harvest will give seeds back to you. A lot of them do, just not all. I believe that's what you are talking about (Not sure). As for the card you got and cant find, look in your gardening spell page. Go to your back pack, click on the yellow arrow at the top right side (Housing) then click on the seeds button. At the bottom of the window you'll see gardening spells, click on that and all your garden spells will pop up. Click on the yellow/gold Treasure card icon and you might see it in there. Not every TC you get from harvesting a plant is a offense or defense card. I have two called pest zapper. Never knew I had them until I hit rank 6 lol.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
I like the gardening. Its fun, but I think the energy should come from the mana instead of the pet energy. Pet energy takes too long to replenish. I have to chose between gardening and traing my pets. :(

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010