Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beware of scammers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
kerb9729 wrote:
Just a head's up to all the other parents out there.

Yesterday someone tricked my son into giving out his password and basically stripped his character of everything - house, gear, furniture bank ... everything.. before I could get the password changed again.

Yeah, it was a rather stupid mistake on his part.. but he's young. He's going to make mistakes. We all do at times.

Watching him sitting there in tears at the loss of all his stuff, I was alternating between anger at him for giving out the password and anger at the thief. What kind of lowlife does something like that? I don't suppose any action would be taken against the thief if I did report it?

It was a good lesson for him (he was warned several times never to give out his password). It's a safe bet he'll never do that again. Luckily I had the parental controls set up properly. I do wish there could be some consequences for the thief though.

This also happend to my younger sister, but I had told her not to give out her password because she wanted to trade her account for a different one, and the perpetrator stole it. This made me a little angry because I am her older brother, and to see something like that is not a good. She cried and cried and cried. We managed to make her a new account, but this is a lesson that the world is a dangerous place (now I sound like my mom LoL)

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
Angelocean wrote:
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:
I am so sorry for your son. He learned a very tough lesson. Unfortunately, sometimes that is how our kids need to learn.

To those of you blaming a child how silly of you. Young children do not have the same knowledge of these things as an adult or teen. As the Father here said, yes the child did make a mistake. But, this was in no way his fault. He simply did what young kids do. He believed what somebody told him. He trusted. That by the way speaks volumes about his upbringing to me. :D

Today, Dec. 26 there is another post about this very issue. So obviously someone is actively scamming (promising goodies) for people's password then hacking their account.

Megan

it kinda IS the kid's fault he should no better then to give out his password
p.s i NEVER trust anyone unless they good friends or family. but sometimes even your friends can turn on you... thats who life is

Were talking about a kid who is like 6. Don't try to put the blame on the child.

im not. first what parent would give text chat to a kid under 8 or so. i didnt even know how to type at that age. and it IS the kid's fault for giving away his password. the hacker would of never gotten anywhere if the kid never even answered him

Maybe this is a lesson for parents, as well. Don't give young children text chat. It really is for their own protection.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
crazysteve25 wrote:
how is it even possible to tell your password?!?!?!?! i sure most people have passwords with numbers and combinations of letters that will end up being BLOCKED, not saying MY password but somebody could have a password like......
stupidchinese389,which the whole thing would end up being block.......if this is anyones REAL password then i am good :P no no i aint no ***hole who does that, but i would change it.....

He's a kid. His pass word would be something he can remember and know how to spell, like "playgame" or "kitty"

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Guys, dont put the blame on the kid. He didn't know. I heard worse than this. This is why I be careful who I friend, they can turn out to be a hacker trying to steal my account. Just be careful and don't fall for them scams and "ill give you crowns, but you gotta give me your pass" tricks. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way and it isn't fun at all. I'm sry that your kid got hacked, but he needs to be more careful next time. Whenever I see someone trying to scam, I warn them and saying something like "HE IS TRYING TO STEAL YOUR CARDS" after the card stealers kepted denying it for a little bit, they port out and then I tell the people who was lured in to not fall for them pranks again.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Dipsas wrote:
Sounds to me like your child just "sold" everything thinking they could get something better with all the gold, and just said they were hacked to justify the fruitlessness of the action.

Well said
i agree :)

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
Yes I have had this happen to me when the gift card and crowns shop came out. A simple answerto sammer is have your child user name and password have numbers or a AVB. of there name in it so that can type t right into the chat box. The wizard101 chat box filter also help wih this because you can't type numbers and no fake words.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
kerb9729 wrote:
Just a head's up to all the other parents out there.

Yesterday someone tricked my son into giving out his password and basically stripped his character of everything - house, gear, furniture bank ... everything.. before I could get the password changed again.

Yeah, it was a rather stupid mistake on his part.. but he's young. He's going to make mistakes. We all do at times.

Watching him sitting there in tears at the loss of all his stuff, I was alternating between anger at him for giving out the password and anger at the thief. What kind of lowlife does something like that? I don't suppose any action would be taken against the thief if I did report it?

It was a good lesson for him (he was warned several times never to give out his password). It's a safe bet he'll never do that again. Luckily I had the parental controls set up properly. I do wish there could be some consequences for the thief though.

well thats just life for you yes he should of not done that but no these days companys for games dont bother taking action its not the theives fault its your fault for giving out the password not you your son but yes he is young can make mistakes but these days they dont bother in a way its the theives and the owners fault but they but ya its brutal scams are everywhere i see them everywhere some free crowns promise they want your info on your account they get it then they deastroy it and delete it then leave but its just how the world is

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I am glad my son expects me to type in his username and password. We don't allow him on wizards without someone else being in the room with him. Yes he has text chat but he would rather use the menu chat which is fine with me. btw he's nine years old I will warn him about this.