Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beware of scammers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
Just a head's up to all the other parents out there.

Yesterday someone tricked my son into giving out his password and basically stripped his character of everything - house, gear, furniture bank ... everything.. before I could get the password changed again.

Yeah, it was a rather stupid mistake on his part.. but he's young. He's going to make mistakes. We all do at times.

Watching him sitting there in tears at the loss of all his stuff, I was alternating between anger at him for giving out the password and anger at the thief. What kind of lowlife does something like that? I don't suppose any action would be taken against the thief if I did report it?

It was a good lesson for him (he was warned several times never to give out his password). It's a safe bet he'll never do that again. Luckily I had the parental controls set up properly. I do wish there could be some consequences for the thief though.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
kerb9729,

I agree, even if kids do break the rules by giving away their passwords, they are only 50% of the issue and nothing or not enough is done about hackers and thieves. If you told me the day and time that you changed the password and if I had access to KI's servers, it wouldn't take long for me to pinpoint the offender as they were the last ones to access the account.

I have never known a game to care about this and if you talk to the police they say you need talk to the game company. With or without a password, that's why the hackers, thieves and malicious people do what they do is because they know up front that the game company or the police do not care.

I played another game that suffered much hacking and phishing and they got tired of the bad press they got about having such a policy so they put the word out for the players to pitch in to help identify these people, it didn't take long, they got the perpetrator red handed, arrested him, hauled him into the police station, gave him a civil warning and sent him home. Yes, that's a true story.

I think that there should be a law stating that any website or game that uses names and password must provide the victim the IP address and other data on the offender so that the victim would have at least some information to give to police.

There also ways, even with the proper name and password, for the industry to lock accounts from being accessed by another computer or another IP address or other ISP. Even super easy with the difference between dynamic and static IP addresses because IP addresses issued above dial up service are always the same for that customer.

If the IP address does not match then no log in is allowed and if it is the same IP address but something bad happened the perpetrator is someone in their house and that needs to be identified too.

Currently, the victim or the police get NO information on the perpetrator which denies any and all recourse that the victim might have.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
Sounds to me like your child just "sold" everything thinking they could get something better with all the gold, and just said they were hacked to justify the fruitlessness of the action.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
You do realize there is a high possibility that i no the person who did that...... One of my friends said, for april fools he would be doing this stuff.... Even im not that mean. But it is technically your sons fault.. :-(

Defender
May 31, 2010
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
You do realize there is a high possibility that i no the person who did that...... One of my friends said, for april fools he would be doing this stuff.... Even im not that mean. But it is technically your sons fault.. :-(

You do realize your are just as guilty for theft, if you knew your friends was manipulating people and stealing account and chose to do nothing?

Do not even try to blame this child who only fault was trusting people in this game to be honest. Those people that are honest in this world, tend more likely to believe others are the same.

Your response to put blame on the child is a typical narcissistic response to pass the blame onto someone else. The blame, fault, guilt lays only on the thief. Their is no way to justify this theft. Though narcissist will try to pass off something they did wrong, as a joke or prank. It is theft. Don't make this child a victim a second time by saying somthing so insensitive as it was his fault.

You friend that you know might do this are nothing more than manipulative thieves. Not the pranksters as you make them out to be. and this world certainly doesn't need people around making excuses for them, and passing fault onto someone else.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
MsSandy121 wrote:

You do realize your are just as guilty for theft, if you knew your friends was manipulating people and stealing account and chose to do nothing?

Do not even try to blame this child who only fault was trusting people in this game to be honest. Those people that are honest in this world, tend more likely to believe others are the same.

Your response to put blame on the child is a typical narcissistic response to pass the blame onto someone else. The blame, fault, guilt lays only on the thief. Their is no way to justify this theft. Though narcissist will try to pass off something they did wrong, as a joke or prank. It is theft. Don't make this child a victim a second time by saying somthing so insensitive as it was his fault.

You friend that you know might do this are nothing more than manipulative thieves. Not the pranksters as you make them out to be. and this world certainly doesn't need people around making excuses for them, and passing fault onto someone else.

Whoah come down... i reported him. so i wasnt a bystander

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Dipsas wrote:
Sounds to me like your child just "sold" everything thinking they could get something better with all the gold, and just said they were hacked to justify the fruitlessness of the action.

Well said

Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
Dipsas wrote:

Nope, he was tricked into giving away the password. Someone told him they would give him crowns, but they needed to log in to his account to do it.
After which, the password was changed to something which neither of us knew.

No hacking involved. Social engineering, yeah.

Everything was gone including his gold, except for unsellable items. If he'd just sold everything he'd have had some gold, at least. My guess is everything was sold by the thief, treasure cards bought, and then traded to an accomplice.

Plus, he was heartbroken.

Like I said, it was a good lesson for him. He's 50% responsible, no doubt.
It just rankles that no justice can be done.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
MsSandy121 wrote:

the child should know better than to give out his password so it pretty much IS the kids fault.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
first things first your son was more hacked then scammed. scamming is usually when you trick someone into giving you money more something. hacking is breaking into someones account in something and destroying everything. and another thing i dont think KI or the police can do anything cause they dont know who did it. maybe you know who the wizard was but unless you know where they live and there name irl nothing can be done.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I am so sorry for your son. He learned a very tough lesson. Unfortunately, sometimes that is how our kids need to learn.

To those of you blaming a child how silly of you. Young children do not have the same knowledge of these things as an adult or teen. As the Father here said, yes the child did make a mistake. But, this was in no way his fault. He simply did what young kids do. He believed what somebody told him. He trusted. That by the way speaks volumes about his upbringing to me. :-D

Today, Dec. 26 there is another post about this very issue. So obviously someone is actively scamming (promising goodies) for people's password then hacking their account.

Megan

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
jaronuts wrote:
kerb9729,

I agree, even if kids do break the rules by giving away their passwords, they are only 50% of the issue and nothing or not enough is done about hackers and thieves. If you told me the day and time that you changed the password and if I had access to KI's servers, it wouldn't take long for me to pinpoint the offender as they were the last ones to access the account.

I have never known a game to care about this and if you talk to the police they say you need talk to the game company. With or without a password, that's why the hackers, thieves and malicious people do what they do is because they know up front that the game company or the police do not care.

I played another game that suffered much hacking and phishing and they got tired of the bad press they got about having such a policy so they put the word out for the players to pitch in to help identify these people, it didn't take long, they got the perpetrator red handed, arrested him, hauled him into the police station, gave him a civil warning and sent him home. Yes, that's a true story.

I think that there should be a law stating that any website or game that uses names and password must provide the victim the IP address and other data on the offender so that the victim would have at least some information to give to police.

There also ways, even with the proper name and password, for the industry to lock accounts from being accessed by another computer or another IP address or other ISP. Even super easy with the difference between dynamic and static IP addresses because IP addresses issued above dial up service are always the same for that customer.

If the IP address does not match then no log in is allowed and if it is the same IP address but something bad happened the perpetrator is someone in their house and that needs to be identified too.

Currently, the victim or the police get NO information on the perpetrator which denies any and all recourse that the victim might have.

I agree with the hackers not getting in trouble in stuff but this would kinda make the game scary O.O. Knowing that there could be an undercover cop being your friend or people are watching you making sure you not doing something bad. I myself am NOT a hacker but I am just saying, this is a family game. Not like world of warcraft or something lol.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2010
how is it even possible to tell your password?!?!?!?! i sure most people have passwords with numbers and combinations of letters that will end up being BLOCKED, not saying MY password but somebody could have a password like......
stupidchinese389,which the whole thing would end up being block.......if this is anyones REAL password then i am good :-P no no i aint no ***hole who does that, but i would change it.....

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:
I am so sorry for your son. He learned a very tough lesson. Unfortunately, sometimes that is how our kids need to learn.

To those of you blaming a child how silly of you. Young children do not have the same knowledge of these things as an adult or teen. As the Father here said, yes the child did make a mistake. But, this was in no way his fault. He simply did what young kids do. He believed what somebody told him. He trusted. That by the way speaks volumes about his upbringing to me. :-D

Today, Dec. 26 there is another post about this very issue. So obviously someone is actively scamming (promising goodies) for people's password then hacking their account.

Megan

it kinda IS the kid's fault he should no better then to give out his password
p.s i NEVER trust anyone unless they good friends or family. but sometimes even your friends can turn on you... thats who life is

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

p.s i NEVER trust anyone unless they good friends or family. but sometimes even your friends can turn on you... thats who life is

Were talking about a kid who is like 6. Don't try to put the blame on the child.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Were talking about a kid who is like 6. Don't try to put the blame on the child.

im not. first what parent would give text chat to a kid under 8 or so. i didnt even know how to type at that age. and it IS the kid's fault for giving away his password. the hacker would of never gotten anywhere if the kid never even answered him

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
You have Got to be kidding me! Excuse me people, but please do not blame a child for the actions of another! Parents have the responsability to oversee,teach and protect their children! I hate to go off on a rant, but lets not victamize the child twice! Let it be a lesson, but come on! Place the blame squairly where it belongs: on the one who did the deed! That's like saying "I mugged you because you were on the street. It's your fault."

Historian
May 15, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

im not. first what parent would give text chat to a kid under 8 or so. i didnt even know how to type at that age. and it IS the kid's fault for giving away his password. the hacker would of never gotten anywhere if the kid never even answered him

read the posts why dont you
its a CHILD, they don't have worldly knowledge like most teens and young adults and parents
get that through that thick head of yours
they didn't know any better

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Ok first, if the parents think their child is responsible enough for text chat. Second, don't blame a kid who probably doesn't know the real world can't really be trusted. How was that kid going to know? When I was younger I probably would have believed the scammer (hacker? Etc) if only for a minute, and it only takes a minute to type a password and hit enter. And when you were little you probably would have too, even if you don't realize it now.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
cameron225 wrote:
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Ok first, if the parents think their child is responsible enough for text chat. Second, don't blame a kid who probably doesn't know the real world can't really be trusted. How was that kid going to know? When I was younger I probably would have believed the scammer (hacker? Etc) if only for a minute, and it only takes a minute to type a password and hit enter. And when you were little you probably would have too, even if you don't realize it now.

knowing my parents they wouldnt have gave me text chat when i was 8. they would say wait till your 11 or 12. plus i only started playing this game this year and i didnt play any other online games before this one, cause i would forget my password LOL. anyway my friend in the game was hacked so there must be a hacker going around (most of his stuff was gone). also i wouldnt be able to even know what he was saying cause i was a horrible reader back then.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Thechaosmagician wrote:
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

its a CHILD, they don't have worldly knowledge like most teens and young adults and parents

Ok its not the kids fault, if you take it like this.... now look lets say the kids age is x and the hacker took advantage of this kid. now lets say x= 3-8, then it is the PARENTS fualt because they gave there kid text chat and they should have taught him better. now if the its x=8-13+ then its the kids fualt. now you will never catch this hacker. even though there seems to be a sudden hacker going around, we wont find out who it is. sometimes you cant have justice. just get over it. ok

Survivor
Mar 19, 2009
I agree with you, please don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't exactly call him a thief. But I understand you point in accusing him as a thief. But besides that, I don't blame the kid at all! I was once at that age, and I know how it feels to be tempted. People used to "sell mounts" for treasure cards, and I believed them!!! I am older now and realize that that wouldn't be the BEST decision, but kids just get tempted!

Survivor
Nov 20, 2010
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Live and learn guys, there's no need to argue about this, what's done is done and a lesson will be learned from it, arguing about who's fault it was won't change the fact that this kid was hacked, whether his fault or not it is a crime

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Rubywolff wrote:
Live and learn guys, there's no need to argue about this, what's done is done and a lesson will be learned from it, arguing about who's fault it was won't change the fact that this kid was hacked, whether his fault or not it is a crime

So true.

People responded strongly because there is a blame the victim, blame the parents mentality in this thread that is just plain wrong. Although, I do believe some posters here are doing it just to get the attention.

To those of you blaming the child-How many times have your parents told you not to do something and you did it anyway? Sorry, most 6 year old kids I know completely trust others and simply don't understand people do bad things. DESPITE be told over and over again why they should not do certain things. Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way.

As to blaming the parent-How do you know they don't supervise their child well? All it takes is one second of distraction for something like this to happen, a phone call for example. The parent knows his child well and can make that call.

The blame goes solely on the low life that scammed that child then hacked their account. They committed a crime. They found an innocent trusting child and took advantage of him.

Megan

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Thechaosmagician wrote:
Angelocean wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

To those of you blaming a child how silly of you. Young children do not have the same knowledge of these things as an adult or teen. As the Father here said, yes the child did make a mistake. But, this was in no way his fault. He simply did what young kids do. He believed what somebody told him. He trusted. That by the way speaks volumes about his upbringing to me. :D

Megan

Ok its not the kids fault, if you take it like this.... now look lets say the kids age is x and the hacker took advantage of this kid. now lets say x= 3-8, then it is the PARENTS fualt because they gave there kid text chat and they should have taught him better. now if the its x=8-13+ then its the kids fualt. now you will never catch this hacker. even though there seems to be a sudden hacker going around, we wont find out who it is. sometimes you cant have justice. just get over it. ok

exactly. but it should be 8+ not 8-13