Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Criticals in Arena are broken.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
Please consider taking criticals out of the arena. I think they are fine for PvE. Let me list a few things I have experienced up to ~900+ rating on 2 separate characters. If that is not a consideration, please add more critical counter gear. At the moment there is only one piece of gear that can counter critical to all and is worth using (foot slot from trial of spheres for classes) and this only reduces critical hits by ~6% or so? The other counter is the aura you buy, and let's not kid ourselves and think it is good. At least make it -90% critical instead of 90 anti-critical rating or it really isn't worthwhile to use.

While I know some of these things can happen randomly, I still think a person winning on pure luck is somewhat annoying in a competitive setting. Here are the 2 types of spells I believe are extremely unbalanced with criticals.

Wild Bolt

Being 1 shot by a wild bolt critical with 28% resist to all on first turn. I know Wild Bolt was nerfed, and atm barring criticals I believe it is balanced. Being hit for 1k on the first turn doesn't really bother me. Being 1 shot for ~2400+ damage without even getting a chance to do anything is beyond ridiculous. Obviously this has a semi low chance of happening (~10% i'd say?).

Snow Angel / Poison Dragon / Heck Hound/ Death Minotaur / Cerberus

The main counter for criticals is weakness type spells and shields. However, critical damage over time spells, such as snow angel and bone dragon are nearly impossible to defend against. I have fought quite a few death and ice wizards in the higher ranks that just turtle up with treasure towers and put up a critical aura and chain bone dragons and snow angels. I have also had a heck hound one shot me in one tick on a critical, and the opponents pips were nowhere close to max.

To a much lesser degree I believe Death Minotaurs and Cerberus benefit very greatly from criticals compared to other one hit spells.

I would like to add I have a death and myth wizard both commander rank +, and I admit bone dragon is overpowered. I have also one shot people on my Myth with a crit Cerberus. I think one shotting should never really happen without max buffs, traps, and no shields on a person. This person had a tower shield up.

Summary of possible solutions: Take critical hits out of arena (critical heals also to balance it), add more anti-critical gear, increase maximum base life for all classes, or make criticals not a 100% bonus (maybe lower it to 50% damage bonus or so). Duels relying on luck are lame, please make them skill based.

Thanks for reading.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Mevrid wrote:
Please consider taking criticals out of the arena. I think they are fine for PvE. Let me list a few things I have experienced up to ~900+ rating on 2 separate characters. If that is not a consideration, please add more critical counter gear. At the moment there is only one piece of gear that can counter critical to all and is worth using (foot slot from trial of spheres for classes) and this only reduces critical hits by ~6% or so? The other counter is the aura you buy, and let's not kid ourselves and think it is good. At least make it -90% critical instead of 90 anti-critical rating or it really isn't worthwhile to use.

While I know some of these things can happen randomly, I still think a person winning on pure luck is somewhat annoying in a competitive setting. Here are the 2 types of spells I believe are extremely unbalanced with criticals.

Wild Bolt

Being 1 shot by a wild bolt critical with 28% resist to all on first turn. I know Wild Bolt was nerfed, and atm barring criticals I believe it is balanced. Being hit for 1k on the first turn doesn't really bother me. Being 1 shot for ~2400+ damage without even getting a chance to do anything is beyond ridiculous. Obviously this has a semi low chance of happening (~10% i'd say?).

Snow Angel / Poison Dragon / Heck Hound/ Death Minotaur / Cerberus

The main counter for criticals is weakness type spells and shields. However, critical damage over time spells, such as snow angel and bone dragon are nearly impossible to defend against. I have fought quite a few death and ice wizards in the higher ranks that just turtle up with treasure towers and put up a critical aura and chain bone dragons and snow angels. I have also had a heck hound one shot me in one tick on a critical, and the opponents pips were nowhere close to max.

To a much lesser degree I believe Death Minotaurs and Cerberus benefit very greatly from criticals compared to other one hit spells.

I would like to add I have a death and myth wizard both commander rank +, and I admit bone dragon is overpowered. I have also one shot people on my Myth with a crit Cerberus. I think one shotting should never really happen without max buffs, traps, and no shields on a person. This person had a tower shield up.

Summary of possible solutions: Take critical hits out of arena (critical heals also to balance it), add more anti-critical gear, increase maximum base life for all classes, or make criticals not a 100% bonus (maybe lower it to 50% damage bonus or so). Duels relying on luck are lame, please make them skill based.

Thanks for reading.

I'm against taking out crticals. My epic characters have high critical equipment and decent critical blocking on them and have gone with such equipment over others that would have better benifitted my characters in other areas such as health and resistances. I would not be opposed to decreasing damage dealt in the arena by a percentage amount or to having every arena fight start off with a damage reduction bubble being already active. I like the latter idea the most. If you don't want a 50% damage reduction bubble in the arena, all you need to do is spend the pips and play the card to change it.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
First,I admit i wish there were a few more critical blocking gear,but with the new arena spells its a pretty good system.But about the over time spells your SO wrong. With snow angel it does just a little more than fire dragon so not a big damage deal. With bone drake considering besides going over a few rounds,it does NOTHING ELSE! It doesnt heal,it doesnt attack all enemies,it doesn't stun or taunt. PVP isnt the whole game so if they nerf it I will have serious thoughts of leaving. P.S the reason wild bolt was changed was since a lot of people {not storm} thought it really wasn't a real WILD bolt. And since wild bolt did that to you you might be mad,but there is a one out of three chance so just bad day for you, like going second is. And seriously speaking as about bone drake and snow angel use the new arena spell that blocks stun and critical block chance. It also doesn't seem like you have tried changing strategies since celestia came. There is something called Weakiness, treasure it or get it as a regular spell.And some of the star spells block OVER Time.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
sparky1235554 wrote:
First,I admit i wish there were a few more critical blocking gear,but with the new arena spells its a pretty good system.But about the over time spells your SO wrong. With snow angel it does just a little more than fire dragon so not a big damage deal. With bone drake considering besides going over a few rounds,it does NOTHING ELSE! It doesnt heal,it doesnt attack all enemies,it doesn't stun or taunt. PVP isnt the whole game so if they nerf it I will have serious thoughts of leaving. P.S the reason wild bolt was changed was since a lot of people {not storm} thought it really wasn't a real WILD bolt. And since wild bolt did that to you you might be mad,but there is a one out of three chance so just bad day for you, like going second is. And seriously speaking as about bone drake and snow angel use the new arena spell that blocks stun and critical block chance. It also doesn't seem like you have tried changing strategies since celestia came. There is something called Weakiness, treasure it or get it as a regular spell.And some of the star spells block OVER Time.

So much dumb in this post I don't know where to begin. I already said the wild bolt thing and me going second is very lucky on the opponent, and I said it rarely happens. But the fact that it can happen is beyond stupid.

I never asked for a bone dragon, snow angel, etc nerf, where are you getting this from in my post? I said they are overpowered with criticals. It is VERY easy to get a bone dragon ticking for 1k+ a tick on a crit with just 1 blade and crit aura on.

I also said weakness is one of the only counters for criticals, and I rely on it heavily, are you blind? Don't even get me started on the anti-crit aura. It sucks.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
Mevrid wrote:
sparky1235554 wrote:

So much dumb in this post I don't know where to begin. I already said the wild bolt thing and me going second is very lucky on the opponent, and I said it rarely happens. But the fact that it can happen is beyond stupid.

I never asked for a bone dragon, snow angel, etc nerf, where are you getting this from in my post? I said they are overpowered with criticals. It is VERY easy to get a bone dragon ticking for 1k+ a tick on a crit with just 1 blade and crit aura on.

I also said weakness is one of the only counters for criticals, and I rely on it heavily, are you blind? Don't even get me started on the anti-crit aura. It sucks.

This is not a dumb post. First off,you said you had said it was your opponents pure luck,but that it was stupid it could happen. Since you said it was a rare thing it is weird you should complain. Sure some rare things happen in pvp that end up making me lose that are unfair,but seriously your going to complain about every little stupid problem that you can't post a solution to? Post a solution and people can discuss that not you dumb complaint. As for bone dragon and snow angel I assumed you wanted something done about them since you complained about it with criticals. If you didn't you shouldn't have mentioned it because your wasting our time with your side opinions.If you wanted criticals taken out (you really gave no solution), then your just mad that the new system is making you lose. KI just released it so in a few months after changing strategies complain. And seriously weaknesses and the new aura (if used properly) can work. If you treasure weakness in deck,or get it yourself and add the amulet that comes with weakness it is pretty useful.Example: -25% + -30%=-55% which is more than a regular tower. Plus if you add aura its even more. P.S: since I wrote this post I am in fact not blind LOL!

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
Seriously did you even read my original post? I gave 3 other possible solutions besides straight up taking criticals out of arena. It's even underlined and says "Summary of possible solutions...".

I'm not sure why I am bothering responding to mouth breathers who think pvp is fine right now, so I won't bother anymore. Have fun dying in 2 turns of mouse clicking goodness!