Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools with permanant 'roles' in the game.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
I love Wizard101. I think it is amazing and so much fun. I've been playing since Beta, and I have never stopped enjoying it. There is honestly nothing I would want to change about it.

I began as an Ice wizard, because that's what the book chose for me. I was thrilled, due to my love of the cold and dark blue colors and white, etc. It fit me perfectly.

However, I didn't really know that I had to level up my wizard only to become a tank that is mainly used for defense.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty fine with that, I just didn't know I don't exactly have a choice with how I wanted my wizard to be.
I didn't know our spells would be weak.
I didn't know I would eventually become just a shield to those I played with.
I didn't know anything about the wizard I wanted to be.

I'm now trying to complain, so forgive me if that's what it sounds like. I just wish that either you as the player had more options as to what you want your wizard to be, or that maybe they gave you more of a heads up in the beginning.

I would never ever delete my Ice wizard, or any of my other wizards. I'm not ranting about just the Ice school, either. Its about them all.

For example: As a Storm wizard, you're the strongest person. You're expected (by most of the players around you) to be able to take on most of the enemies you're against. However, what if you didn't want to be the one who takes on everything with ease, or the player who has some of the lowest health and accuracy.
What if you wanted to be a Storm wizard just to be a Storm wizard, and not the brute force.

If you get what I'm trying to explain, I'd like to hear your thoughts on as to whether or not you think it would be better as being able to choose how you want the wizard you chose, or if it is fine as it is now.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
I 100% agree. My myth character uses her minions most of the time. But when my friends see me using them, they will ask me to go to the arena with them. They would keep saying, "Minion now!" "Your minion just died! Do another one!".

Now I can see if people disagree. Yet, it gets very annoying and can be very offensive. So I can see where you are going and I hope you have a great time on wizard101!

~Benjiman EdwardGrove
Level 45
Master Pyromancer
"Even though we fizzle our spells still sizzle"

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Shannoony wrote:
I love Wizard101. I think it is amazing and so much fun. I've been playing since Beta, and I have never stopped enjoying it. There is honestly nothing I would want to change about it.

I began as an Ice wizard, because that's what the book chose for me. I was thrilled, due to my love of the cold and dark blue colors and white, etc. It fit me perfectly.

However, I didn't really know that I had to level up my wizard only to become a tank that is mainly used for defense.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty fine with that, I just didn't know I don't exactly have a choice with how I wanted my wizard to be.
I didn't know our spells would be weak.
I didn't know I would eventually become just a shield to those I played with.
I didn't know anything about the wizard I wanted to be.

I'm now trying to complain, so forgive me if that's what it sounds like. I just wish that either you as the player had more options as to what you want your wizard to be, or that maybe they gave you more of a heads up in the beginning.

I would never ever delete my Ice wizard, or any of my other wizards. I'm not ranting about just the Ice school, either. Its about them all.

For example: As a Storm wizard, you're the strongest person. You're expected (by most of the players around you) to be able to take on most of the enemies you're against. However, what if you didn't want to be the one who takes on everything with ease, or the player who has some of the lowest health and accuracy.
What if you wanted to be a Storm wizard just to be a Storm wizard, and not the brute force.

If you get what I'm trying to explain, I'd like to hear your thoughts on as to whether or not you think it would be better as being able to choose how you want the wizard you chose, or if it is fine as it is now.

Ah yes, shanoony, we do seem to like to disagree. And I am seriously going to disagree with you on this. There are several ways for a person to choose how powerful or how defensive they want to be. And please, don't ever call Ice weak, it is insulting.

Ways, Ice is very powerful, or can be! Ice can craft a necklace that gives IceBlade +45% to attack. Ice can craft a hat, and robe, that Boost Critical Stats, although they lose some resist all, they gain accurcay, strength, and +6% to critical attacks.

Then, there is gargantuan, a 225 strength increase to any attack, or 250 if it is a treasure card. So, in other words, PVP or anywhere, If I use just one blade, one vengeance, and use an enchanted Frost Giant, if I hit a critical attack, pretty much everyone on your team is Dead (Unless you shielded). So, beware, cause Ice is not weak and not someone you want to underestimate.

As far as other schools, it varies on how you spend your training points, you can be powerful, or defensive. Get heals, and defensive spells. Get amplify, vengance, gargantuan for power and strength. How do you want to play your wizard?

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Each school has a specific way of playing, if you want to make it as efficient as possible. In terms of raw damage, then, yes, Ice lags a bit behind the others. The reason is that Ice, in return, is fairly hard to take down. Life is the weakest school, in raw damage terms, but unless the enemy gets a really lucky shot in, the Life school is pretty much invincible as long as they don't run out of cards. Ice school is close to the same.

Contrast Ice to Fire.

Fire has little defensive power, inefficient stuns, fairly weak shields, and relatively low health; Fire, in return, has fairly powerful offensive skills.

Ice has very high health, great defensive skills (powerful shields, anti-stun), and a zero-pip stun. To balance that out, Ice isn't really a huge powerhouse when it comes to damaging an enemy.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
I agree with most of the comments. I'm Life and Ice. I don't mind being the battlefield medic, it comes very naturally for me, but I really hate it when someone says "heal me NOW" or "don't use this" or "use that". I play my hand the best way I can with the deal given me. It's like bridge with my husband! I don't like P/P, to much adolescent chatter. I do enjoy a good fight with well matched opponents and a friend.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
darthjt wrote:
Ah yes, shanoony, we do seem to like to disagree. And I am seriously going to disagree with you on this. There are several ways for a person to choose how powerful or how defensive they want to be. And please, don't ever call Ice weak, it is insulting.

Ways, Ice is very powerful, or can be! Ice can craft a necklace that gives IceBlade +45% to attack. Ice can craft a hat, and robe, that Boost Critical Stats, although they lose some resist all, they gain accurcay, strength, and +6% to critical attacks.

Then, there is gargantuan, a 225 strength increase to any attack, or 250 if it is a treasure card. So, in other words, PVP or anywhere, If I use just one blade, one vengeance, and use an enchanted Frost Giant, if I hit a critical attack, pretty much everyone on your team is Dead (Unless you shielded). So, beware, cause Ice is not weak and not someone you want to underestimate.

As far as other schools, it varies on how you spend your training points, you can be powerful, or defensive. Get heals, and defensive spells. Get amplify, vengance, gargantuan for power and strength. How do you want to play your wizard?

Well I wouldn't really mean to disagree with you. I guess that's just how things work out, sadly.

And, in no way would I ever call Ice weak and mean it, since that is my main school. (Plus, I love that school a lot. I meant to put quotations around 'weak', since that's what every other school seems to call us.)

And I have plenty of blades and traps and Ice damage boosting items, ect. if that's what you're saying. The only issue I have is that I don't want everyone just seeing me as a shield. I'm more than happy to help people by setting Tower Shields or something on them, but it gets frustrating when I'm told to do so.

It also irritates me that people only seem to think my Ice wizard is there just to shield/heal them, since I am also Life. I always hear things like, "Shield me." or "I've got this." And by the time that I finish shielding or healing my teammates, they always kill everything so I never really get to use my spells.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Shannoony wrote:

Well I wouldn't really mean to disagree with you. I guess that's just how things work out, sadly.

And, in no way would I ever call Ice weak and mean it, since that is my main school. (Plus, I love that school a lot. I meant to put quotations around 'weak', since that's what every other school seems to call us.)

And I have plenty of blades and traps and Ice damage boosting items, ect. if that's what you're saying. The only issue I have is that I don't want everyone just seeing me as a shield. I'm more than happy to help people by setting Tower Shields or something on them, but it gets frustrating when I'm told to do so.

It also irritates me that people only seem to think my Ice wizard is there just to shield/heal them, since I am also Life. I always hear things like, "Shield me." or "I've got this." And by the time that I finish shielding or healing my teammates, they always kill everything so I never really get to use my spells.

Truly, there are a lot of social issues that go with the classes. There isn't really much you can do about how other people see you. If these are friends telling you what to do and how to play, personally, I'd remove them. However, I also tend to prefer playing mostly solo with the majority of my characters. If its people that just join your circle randomly, well, guess they should have thought a little harder about it first. If they don't ask to join, I don't go out of my way to help them. If they start telling me how to play, I just ignore them and do my own thing anyway. I guess what I'm saying here is, just because other people expect it, you don't have to conform to their vision.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
It's the crabby little doc. again. I like takeing out a big boss the same as the next one, but if I never kill anything and the team wins because i kept everyone else on the front line, I've done my job and I feel satisfied. It's teamwork and, as I've said before, there is no I in team.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
darthjt wrote:

You know you can just not listen to your teamates. Or you can solo. Ice is pretty good at soloing

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
Well I mean I do solo. All the time. I don't listen to what people tell me to do, I just naturally enjoy shielding and healing others. I just have a slight problem with people thinking they can tell others what to do. (What I mean is, people shouldn't force others to go by their schools "role.")

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Shannoony wrote:
Well I mean I do solo. All the time. I don't listen to what people tell me to do, I just naturally enjoy shielding and healing others. I just have a slight problem with people thinking they can tell others what to do. (What I mean is, people shouldn't force others to go by their schools "role.")

Yeah, I hear you. But that's just how some people are. Reality often asserts its cold hard grasp over my personal idealistic view of how things "should be". Not everyone is at the same stage of maturity, and not everyone chooses to be polite. Many people act that way because, frankly, it often works. People are by nature pack animals and when one comes in and starts throwing orders, people often listen... even if it bothers them. It bothers me a bit when I see it too, but the only recourse you really have is to just ignore them or flee and leave them to it (depending on how obnoxious they are).

I wish I could offer a better suggestion, but people are people.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2010
Shannoony wrote:

i know right? its like they first see the purple clothes, jump into my battle w/out asking, then just pass to finish a quest!