Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Profanity must stop

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
I notice that some wizards use profanity (bad words, swear word,etc), and thats not the way they need to express their feelings. It may seem to them that it will make them look tough, but the fact is, it makes them look small if you know what I mean. Now one thing is, is that some people may think using profanity is fun, well its not very losing your account, now is it? Next time you think about saying somthing bad, take a moment to think, is it really worth the consequenses.

The best ways to avoid using profanity is to stop and think, stop doing an activity that makes you mad, or take a break when you get angry which might make you want to swear.

With something to think about, I am John RubySpear lvl60 Pyromancer. :D

The reason you are seeing mild profanity is only because you opted in to the 18+ chat. What you see is NOT what players under the age of 18 see, so please take that in to account.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment between 18+ players who have a valid credit card on file with us.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to launch this for our active Subscriber community only. Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management at Wizard101.com.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable. Any attempt to circumvent the filters or engage in improper dialogue can result in the loss of chat privileges or full suspension from school (this includes exchanging of personal information, harassment of other wizards or other inappropriate dialogue).

The following chat filters are in place:

Menu Chat (default setting for under13)
? players will continue to see only Menu Chat.

13 to 18+ Text Chat (default setting for 13+)
? players will continue to see only our Dictionary Text Chat from both 13-18 and 18+.

New 18+ Open Chat
? will be filtered for profanity but will allow numbers and names.
? will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means 18+ can see it, red is filtered

*Accounts must be 18+ and must be an active subscriber with a valid credit card on file.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Don't forget that A) some people will ALWAYS try to talk around the filter, no matter how heavy the punishments are; B) that cultural differences play in - what is considered a profoundly profane word in one place may just be a common word in another place; and finally C) that people, especially children, curse a lot more than most people think in their everyday way of talking.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2009
Zeke, what you're saying is the people who are following the rules should not have text chat so they don't have to see it. That's not fair. I pay for multiple accounts but I shouldn't be able to chat because others don't follow the rules? The problem isn't with the open chat, it's with any level of text chat. People go around the chat filter all the time. While they are being creative when they do it, I agree that it is very offensive. I know I could opt out of text chat but why should I? Supposedly the chat logs are monitored but I see the same people saying the same profane things almost daily. Where is the monitoring there? I keep text chat because I play the game with my 11 year old daughter and we can communicate without having to shout from room to room. Maybe the people who are supposed to be reading the logs and enforcing the rules need a refresher course in what people are allowed to do. Oh and I know the ignore button exists but there are too many people who do it to fit them on my list.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I only have text chat and I must say that I really don't even want to have open chat. I like it that others have trouble asking me for information and stuff that they really shouldn't be. Sure, many players have asked why I don't have open chat and want me to get it, but almost every single one of these people I run into the game only seem to want me to get it so that they can some way get information and stuff out of me or otherwise abuse me or my account or be able to use profanity in my presense. Open chat, no thank you, I much prefer the filtered text chat that makes things harder for abusive players to abuse.

It is interesting to note that I have ran into players in the game who said how much the hate how players treat them and the nasty stuff they hear from others and so on, and I said I don't encounter such talk with the text option over the open chat option and at least one open chat player I know has opted to go back to just having text chat. I have never had trouble playing with or associating with or communicating with others because I only had text chat. It is just harder for them to say and ask things that they really shouldn't be asking and saying in the first place.

As to the massive amount of cursing you complain about, you must be aware that kids tend to go through that phase in general from ages ten to forteen or somewhere around there, and there are a lot of kids playing this game as it is a family game designed largely for the play of kids.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
Zeke, this is not true. There are lots of players with open chat using profanity. There are also lots of players who are under 18 that have 18+ chat. There are some players that were over 18 that were muted for using profanity. When we got 18+ chat, we were given it with the understanding that we would behave. We have to follow the ToU, too. Really, it was just so people could say words like, "kitchen" or "beans" or numbers. Porfanity, mild or not, has never been part of the agreement.

I'm going to simply point to Mr Lincoln's response on a similar issue.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/15936.ftl

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.